The Student Room Group

I went to a state school

Do I stand a chance of getting into Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes if you have good enough grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes permitting you fit all the other criteria.
Reply 3
More than half of all students at Oxford are from state schools.

What are your grades and subject?
According to their figures, 57.5% of undergraduate intake for 2012 was state school students.
Reply 5
Not if you are silly enough to think people from state schools can't go oxford
Reply 6
Original post by contradicta
Yes permitting you fit all the other criteria.

You are implying that being public schooled is a requirement. Are you being facetious or just stupid?

OP, if you have around 70%+ A*s at GCSE, you are scoring As at AS, have a sound personal statement, good references, A/A* predicted grades and a passion and enthusiasm for your subject (which is backed up by your own research and out-of-class reading) then you stand a chance.

You will have to do well at interview and in the aptitude relevant to your subject - and public schools do probably give more support to help do well in these - but otherwise your state education will not hinder you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Occams Chainsaw

you are scoring As at AS, have a sound personal statement, good references, A/A* predicted grades and a passion and enthusiasm for your subject (which is backed up by your own research and out-of-class reading) then you stand a chance.
You will have to do well at interview and in the aptitude relevant to your subject - and public schools do probably give more support to help do well in these - but otherwise your state education will not hinder you.

This is good advice.

We'd very much like to see more excellent state school students applying. The only way to find out if you would get in, is to actually apply. We can't consider you if we don't have an application from you.

If you think the course is for you, and you're in line to get the grades/subjects we look for, then great, go ahead and apply. Help us change the statistics - don't be put off by them.
(edited 10 years ago)
As long as you get the grades and meet any other criteria that they have- then you stand a good chance of getting in.
Going to a state school doesnt mean you cant get into oxford.
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
This is good advice.

We'd very much like to see more excellent state school students applying. The only way to find out if you would get in, is to actually apply. We can't consider you if we don't have an application from you.

If you think the course is for you, and you're in line to get the grades/subjects we look for, then great, go ahead and apply. Help us change the statistics - don't be put off by them.

The best way to encourage state school pupils to apply is to take more of the applicants you have already. If the decisions on existing candidates cause widespread surprise at their school (and I could quote cases where candidates with excellent academic records/predictions in excess of the require grades etc haven't even been interviewed) then it discourages other applicants from those schools.
Reply 10
Original post by parentlurker
..I could quote cases where candidates with excellent academic records/predictions in excess of the require grades etc haven't even been interviewed..

This can easily happen in some subjects (such as my own, History), if the candidate does not do well enough in the aptitude test. Stephen Hawking would be rejected for Physics if he scored below the cut-off PAT mark.
In a way it isnt the applying that bothers me - its more that if I get in I wont want to go because of the attitude of all the other students once i get there. I wont understand what half of them are going on about. My cousin got interviewed at Durham and someone asked him 'where did you prep?'. He hadn't got a clue wht they meant and they got really rude when he asked them to explain and then just looked at him like he was foreign or something. If its going be that sort of put down all the time, I'd rather go to a normal uni.
Reply 12
Original post by reginaldbright
In a way it isnt the applying that bothers me - its more that if I get in I wont want to go because of the attitude of all the other students once i get there. I wont understand what half of them are going on about. My cousin got interviewed at Durham and someone asked him 'where did you prep?'. He hadn't got a clue wht they meant and they got really rude when he asked them to explain and then just looked at him like he was foreign or something. If its going be that sort of put down all the time, I'd rather go to a normal uni.

I'm sure he just felt defensive because he didn't know how to answer the question. I seriously doubt they were actually rude. Interviewers do push you, though. They like to see how you think/deduce on your toes.

Oxford is more normal than you are making out :yep: I met tonnes of state and public schooled people and couldn't tell the difference. Sure, there are going to be Eton schooled PPEists who you just think "Oh god..." but, from my stays at Oxford, it's really not snotty at all and I didn't meet one of those people once! From talking to lots of people from different colleges, they really are a rarity that I'm sure every University has.
If you are really worried about being singled out because you are state schooled (which you shouldn't, considering more than half of Oxford students are) then maybe look at a generally state-dominated college? It seems like a silly thing to look for because the worries you have are not reflective of the overall atmosphere at Oxford or Cambridge, though :nah:
(edited 10 years ago)
The best way to encourage state school pupils to apply is to take more of the applicants you have already. If the decisions on existing candidates cause widespread surprise at their school (and I could quote cases where candidates with excellent academic records/predictions in excess of the require grades etc haven't even been interviewed) then it discourages other applicants from those schools.

There is more to Oxbridge applications than grades alone. Plus schools tend to have an overinflated opinion of their best applicants anyway, so schools being surprised isn't actually indicative of anything :nah:

Original post by reginaldbright

Durham is notoriously full of rahs, much more so than Oxford could ever aspire to being. I went to a seriously dodgy school in an underpriviliged area and I only ever had one person be snobbish at me about my background. I simply reported it and he was almost chucked out of the uni for racist/class-ist/anti-comp behaviour. So rest assured, Oxford takes such things very seriously indeed in the rare instances that such issues arise :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
There is more to Oxbridge applications than grades alone. Plus schools tend to have an overinflated opinion of their best applicants anyway, so schools being surprised isn't actually indicative of anything :nah:

Indeed there is but what it is is rather harder to identify, leading inevitably to suspicion of bias. Schools do not invariably have inflated views of their candidates. A candidate with an admission test result equal to some of those being made offers, if TSR is to be believed) and with a full set of A* GSCEs is entitled to wonder why they weren't interviewed at Oxford. They were interviewed and had offers from all other places (suggesting nothing much wrong with their personal statement and reference). But they were at a state school with little tradition of sending people to Oxford and not from an affluent background.
Reply 15
Indeed there is but what it is is rather harder to identify, leading inevitably to suspicion of bias. Schools do not invariably have inflated views of their candidates. A candidate with an admission test result equal to some of those being made offers, if TSR is to be believed) and with a full set of A* GSCEs is entitled to wonder why they weren't interviewed at Oxford. They were interviewed and had offers from all other places (suggesting nothing much wrong with their personal statement and reference). But they were at a state school with little tradition of sending people to Oxford and not from an affluent background.

In most cases, Oxford actually seem to like students without such a tradition in an attempt to get away from the unwarranted stigma people seem to still have of the 'good ole days' and further, it shows that the student probably has a raw ability for the subject rather than being coached like all the students from the same schools the years before.
You are measured in relation to your peers and if you achieve to a standard higher than them then, the likelihood is, Oxford will want you.
Maybe the aptitude test they probably sat for Oxford admissions went very badly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
In most cases, Oxford actually seem to like students without such a tradition in an attempt to get away from the unwarranted stigma people seem to still have of the 'good ole days' and further, it shows that the student probably has a raw ability for the subject rather than being coached like all the students from the same schools the years before.
You are measured in relation to your peers and if you achieve to a standard higher than them then, the likelihood is, Oxford will want you.
Maybe the aptitude test they probably sat for Oxford admissions went very badly.

As I said their aptitude test result was similar to those reported on TSR by people who had interviews and in some cases offers. The mother told me their test results and I compared it using the TSR stalking page. Oxford claim to like such students but in this case they clearly didn't. No-one can understand why they didn't at least interview.
Reply 17
As I said their aptitude test result was similar to those reported on TSR by people who had interviews and in some cases offers. The mother told me their test results and I compared it using the TSR stalking page. Oxford claim to like such students but in this case they clearly didn't. No-one can understand why they didn't at least interview.

In any case, the OP wasn't so worried about the admissions but rather the atmosphere when they got at Oxford so I guess that it doesn't really matter.

In addition, I think that, currently, 57% of Oxford's student body that is state schooled. Enough said?
Reply 18

Which subject was this, and what was the test score? In my subject (History), the only possible bias at this stage of the application is in the other direction, in that if the test score is borderline but the GCSE profile shows relatively superior performance in a generally 'under-performing' school, then the candidate may be rescued and proceed to interview. If you're predicted AAA and your HAT score is above the cut-off mark, then it is almost inconceivable that you would not get an interview for History. Other subjects place different emphasis on the aptitude test result, but you say that in your example all other aspects of the application were similarly competitive.

Accusations of bias at interview stage, when the subjective decisions of tutors are made, and disappointed candidates reflect on their performance, are common. However, I must admit that your belief in pre-interview bias against state school applicants has surprised me, particularly as you cite a subject in which an aptitude test is taken, the point of which is to try to provide an objective basis for interview selection.

I went to a typical Black Country state school, and have an accent that makes Frank Skinner's sound like Brian Sewell's. My college's (Mansfield) proportion of state school students is consistently around 80%.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19

The main problem with this story is all the heresay and words like'similar score' rather than the same score. The chances of there being some misinformation along the way are high, no matter how much you now insist otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending