The Student Room Group

Unique situation?

I got moved up an academic year, starting year 7, then ended up resitting year 12 after CCDE. Second time I got AAAC and I'm predicted A*AA but how will this affect my university application? I'm applying to economics, which is very competetive and I'm already disadvantaged by weak GCSEs (3 A*s 5 As 2 Bs).

Scroll to see replies

Your GCSEs aren't weak

As for your A Levels, some unis may ask for slightly higher grades, but not all, and they tend to state this on their website if they will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You know something OP I honestly applaud you for your achievements, you're obviously very bright and work very hard and WILL do well in your chosen path because you apply yourself so my subsequent moan is not aimed at you personally.

Why oh why do schools insist on trying to push students to do things years ahead of the "norm"? How many times do we hear of situations like this where people's applications are made messy and complicated and no real advantage is gained at all?
Moan over.

Back with you, OP, your GCSEs don't look weak at all, certainly for the majority of good unis. I'm kind of concerned that Bullets may be right in that you may be asked for slightly higher grades in some cases. You'll get on a good course I'm pretty sure though if you keep up the good work :smile: btw where are you thinking of applying to and what subjects are you doing?
Original post by ross95
I got moved up an academic year, starting year 7, then ended up resitting year 12 after CCDE. Second time I got AAAC and I'm predicted A*AA but how will this affect my university application? I'm applying to economics, which is very competetive and I'm already disadvantaged by weak GCSEs (3 A*s 5 As 2 Bs).

What a levels do you do?
Reply 4
Original post by ross95

Your GCSE's are fine, and most unis don't mind if you take 3 years to do A-Levels apart from some of the very top ones like LSE, UCL, Edinburgh and St Andrews, If in doubt email admissions though.
Reply 5
To clarify, by weak GCSEs I mean that I go to a school where it's like 25% 10 A*s and 75% 7+. Also thats just because i heard some courses (Nottingham) are massively oversubscribed and thats what they end up looking at.
Original post by Folion
You know something OP I honestly applaud you for your achievements, you're obviously very bright and work very hard and WILL do well in your chosen path because you apply yourself so my subsequent moan is not aimed at you personally.

Why oh why do schools insist on trying to push students to do things years ahead of the "norm"? How many times do we hear of situations like this where people's applications are made messy and complicated and no real advantage is gained at all?
Moan over.

Back with you, OP, your GCSEs don't look weak at all, certainly for the majority of good unis. I'm kind of concerned that Bullets may be right in that you may be asked for slightly higher grades in some cases. You'll get on a good course I'm pretty sure though if you keep up the good work :smile: btw where are you thinking of applying to and what subjects are you doing?

I guess I was a bit naive as I wanted to apply to LSE, UCL, Nottingham, Leeds and Glasgow but Im going to have to rethink everything. I thought LSE/UCL would be an outside chance but not impossible, and Nottingham would be a 50/50. Now I'm really doubting what's realistic, everyone on here seems to have 5 As at AS and 4 A* predictions and I'm struggling with my personal statement.

Maths (A*), economics (A), geography (A)
obviously I don't have further maths which I really regret, so I guess in desperation I'm attempting the AS this year but I'm not confident.
Original post by Anonymousgirll
What a levels do you do?

Maths, geography, economics (no FM I know)
Universities will never ask for further maths for an economics course so I wouldn't worry about not having that as an A-level. I doubt even the top unis will use someone having further maths and someone not having it as the difference of getting an offer and not getting one. Good personal statements usually makes the difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ross95
To clarify, by weak GCSEs I mean that I go to a school where it's like 25% 10 A*s and 75% 7+. Also thats just because i heard some courses (Nottingham) are massively oversubscribed and thats what they end up looking at.

I guess I was a bit naive as I wanted to apply to LSE, UCL, Nottingham, Leeds and Glasgow but Im going to have to rethink everything. I thought LSE/UCL would be an outside chance but not impossible, and Nottingham would be a 50/50. Now I'm really doubting what's realistic, everyone on here seems to have 5 As at AS and 4 A* predictions and I'm struggling with my personal statement.

Maths (A*), economics (A), geography (A)
obviously I don't have further maths which I really regret, so I guess in desperation I'm attempting the AS this year but I'm not confident.

Maths, geography, economics (no FM I know)

Don't worry about the mythical "Everyone". He was the guy who wore the best trainers, had the latest phone and was allowed to stay out every night of the week remember :smile: ? I think one thing that is knocking your confidence is that you are used to mixing with very high flyers both at school and on here. In the grand scheme of things you are very bright

Your actual grades and predictions are solid enough for most of the better unis. The only possible stumbling block as I see it is that repeated year and taking 3 years to complete the A levels. This doesn't necessarily exclude you and a possible (and I state only possible) factor of mitigation is that you were entered a year earlier than most candidates. It really will be a case of having to approach each dept and explaining the situation and waiting to see their response before you use a UCAS place on them.

You'll get either

a) No problem at all mate apply away, we might make you an offer.

b) A sucking in of breath and the suggestion they might ask for above the standard offer eg A*AA instead of AAA

or

c) Sorry but you don't meet the full A level within 2 years, we won't make an offer.

Given it's such a big and important issue it's worth doing the research.

PS just out of interest if all had gone to initial plan and you'd completed your A2 in year 12 what would then have been the plan? Going to uni a year early?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Folion
Don't worry about the mythical "Everyone". He was the guy who wore the best trainers, had the latest phone and was allowed to stay out every night of the week remember :smile: ? I think one thing that is knocking your confidence is that you are used to mixing with very high flyers both at school and on here. In the grand scheme of things you are very bright

Your actual grades and predictions are solid enough for most of the better unis. The only possible stumbling block as I see it is that repeated year and taking 3 years to complete the A levels. This doesn't necessarily exclude you and a possible (and I state only possible) factor of mitigation is that you were entered a year earlier than most candidates. It really will be a case of having to approach each dept and explaining the situation and waiting to see their response before you use a UCAS place on them.

You'll get either

a) No problem at all mate apply away, we might make you an offer.

b) A sucking in of breath and the suggestion they might ask for above the standard offer eg A*AA instead of AAA

or

c) Sorry but you don't meet the full A level within 2 years, we won't make an offer.

Given it's such a big and important issue it's worth doing the research.

PS just out of interest if all had gone to initial plan and you'd completed your A2 in year 12 what would then have been the plan? Going to uni a year early?

Yes I would have gone a year early.

I agree that's good advice and I was going to get round to it anyway. For the moment at school the focus is just turning for early applicants towards me so hopefully I can pull it all together.

I'll ask my head of sixth for how repeating a year affects me. I'm guessing I'll have to give UCL and LSE a miss, and apply to Nottingham as my first choice as that's the only one that seems reasonable. I'm also not sure about places such as Bath and Bristol because I really don't like the sound of the South-West, it seems so out of the way no matter how nice it might be/how good the course is. I'm just disappointed that I have grades that I might not be able to use as I'll probably end up applying to AAA courses when I have potential for A*AA.

By the way, you seem to know what you're talking about, are you already at uni?
Original post by ross95
Yes I would have gone a year early.

I agree that's good advice and I was going to get round to it anyway. For the moment at school the focus is just turning for early applicants towards me so hopefully I can pull it all together.

I'll ask my head of sixth for how repeating a year affects me. I'm guessing I'll have to give UCL and LSE a miss, and apply to Nottingham as my first choice as that's the only one that seems reasonable. I'm also not sure about places such as Bath and Bristol because I really don't like the sound of the South-West, it seems so out of the way no matter how nice it might be/how good the course is. I'm just disappointed that I have grades that I might not be able to use as I'll probably end up applying to AAA courses when I have potential for A*AA.

Bristol and Bath are hardly deep in the south west. If it was Cornwall, I could understand your point...

I'm from Bristol and it's 3 hours on a train to Manchester, under two hours to London and generally very well connected, including two mainline train stations. Bath is only 20 minutes (if that) on the train from Bristol, with one mainline station, and so is almost as well connected.
Reply 10
Original post by ross95

Thanks for the compliment but I'm actually an old fart lol.

My reason initially for hanging around on here is that my elder son just graduated this summer and my younger one just completed his A levels and started uni a few weeks ago. I take an interest in education generally and, no, I'm not a teacher though I did get a degree in education many many moons ago.

Re locations of unis (given that you're looking at ones of broadly similar standard) did you get to visit any? If you don't fancy a certain geographical area then just don't go there because theres bound to be a good one somewhere else. Being comfortable in the area is pretty important. Figure out if you're a city person, a campus person, a quiet town person or whatever, theres somewhere for everyone. I know when my younger son was applying he looked at different styles of uni and then decided he was a city type :smile:.
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets
Bristol and Bath are hardly deep in the south west. If it was Cornwall, I could understand your point...

I'm from Bristol and it's 3 hours on a train to Manchester, under two hours to London and generally very well connected, including two mainline train stations. Bath is only 20 minutes (if that) on the train from Bristol, with one mainline station, and so is almost as well connected.

On a map it's quite far away. I'm in Manchester and 3 hours is too long imo but I'm definitely considering applying anyway just because the course is so good.
Original post by Folion
Thanks for the compliment but I'm actually an old fart lol.

My reason initially for hanging around on here is that my elder son just graduated this summer and my younger one just completed his A levels and started uni a few weeks ago. I take an interest in education generally and, no, I'm not a teacher though I did get a degree in education many many moons ago.

Re locations of unis (given that you're looking at ones of broadly similar standard) did you get to visit any? If you don't fancy a certain geographical area then just don't go there because theres bound to be a good one somewhere else. Being comfortable in the area is pretty important. Figure out if you're a city person, a campus person, a quiet town person or whatever, theres somewhere for everyone. I know when my younger son was applying he looked at different styles of uni and then decided he was a city type :smile:.

I've been to LSE, UCL and Durham, I'm going to Leeds tomorrow, Nottingham durin half term and Glasgow in 2 weeks. I'm more of a city person but if the course isn't seriously good then I don't want to move too far from Manchester.
Reply 12
Original post by ross95
I've been to LSE, UCL and Durham, I'm going to Leeds tomorrow, Nottingham durin half term and Glasgow in 2 weeks. I'm more of a city person but if the course isn't seriously good then I don't want to move too far from Manchester.

Well there's certainly a diversity in environment within the ones you've visited already and will be again with respect to ones you still plan to visit. This is a good thing as you will get a feel for which kind of place you think you'll thrive in. Don't neglect good old fashioned gut feeling because after all you're looking at three years or quite possibly more in that working and living environment. Imho better to go to a AAA uni where you think you will be comfortable and thrive than a A*AA one where you're going to be miserable and not fit in. Do bear in mind that some unis have been known to inflate their usual offer grades for tactical purposes and they aren't always that much better, if at all, in practice.

Bottom line is you're going to uni for YOU not for the reflected glory of school, family or anyone else. Enjoy your visits and let us know how you get on :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Folion
Well there's certainly a diversity in environment within the ones you've visited already and will be again with respect to ones you still plan to visit. This is a good thing as you will get a feel for which kind of place you think you'll thrive in. Don't neglect good old fashioned gut feeling because after all you're looking at three years or quite possibly more in that working and living environment. Imho better to go to a AAA uni where you think you will be comfortable and thrive than a A*AA one where you're going to be miserable and not fit in. Do bear in mind that some unis have been known to inflate their usual offer grades for tactical purposes and they aren't always that much better, if at all, in practice.

Bottom line is you're going to uni for YOU not for the reflected glory of school, family or anyone else. Enjoy your visits and let us know how you get on :smile:

I'll be able to cope with university so I just want to get into the best course possible. If that means I have to go somewhere I wouldn't want to otherwise, I don't mind. In all honestly I don't understand what's not to like about the area you're in, as long as there's clubs and a city centre.
Reply 14
its a bit insulting to call those GCSEs weak, it always annoys me slightly when people call really good grades bad, they are very good grades
This is why people (unless exceptionally bright) shouldn't be put up a year. Not only this though, but also the fact that you will be too young to properly experience your first year at uni which would suck.
Not that you're not bright OP. You are obviously very intelligent! I just don't think people really benefit from this one year 'advantage'.
Reply 16
Original post by LiquidGold
This is why people (unless exceptionally bright) shouldn't be put up a year. Not only this though, but also the fact that you will be too young to properly experience your first year at uni which would suck.
Not that you're not bright OP. You are obviously very intelligent! I just don't think people really benefit from this one year 'advantage'.

Totally agree with you but it's a whole different thread's worth of debate eh? I'm heavily resisting the urge to spout forth over this issue but it would detract from the OP's personal situation. For him what's done is done and fortunately he still has a lot to be positive about.
Original post by ross95
I'm in Manchester and 3 hours is too long

If you are thinking about Dad's taxi at the beginning and end of term, then it hardly matters. Your parents are going to make a day/weekend of it and you are only travelling one way.

If you are thinking of travelling back and forth by train mid term, then Bristol is going to as easy as many other places (and cheaper than plenty) because there is a good train service linking the cities that doesn't involve going through London.
Original post by ross95
On a map it's quite far away. I'm in Manchester and 3 hours is too long imo but I'm definitely considering applying anyway just because the course is so good.

I've gone in the exact opposite direction, from Bristol to Manchester. The trains are fine - exactly three hours on a direct train from Piccadilly to Temple Meads, which I use to work (I quite like it - no distractions!). I once spent 27 hours straight on a coach, so I do struggle to see 3 hours as a long journey! You've then got about half an hour door to door on public transport.

I've found it entirely possible to go back for the weekend, normally travelling down on Friday evening and back on Sunday evening. Fares are about £40 return with a railcard, which is entirely reasonable.

Bristol is a lovely city, and you'll be in a nice area of it throughout your time there ie Clifton /Cotham / Redland / Stoke Bishop (certainly nicer than the areas that Manchester students inhabit!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Folion

I went Leeds today and the woman said I "would have no problems getting an offer" with my grades/predictions ha. Feel much more confident now so think I'm gonna go for 2/3 A*AA 1/2 AAA and AAB :smile:

Original post by Emma122
its a bit insulting to call those GCSEs weak, it always annoys me slightly when people call really good grades bad, they are very good grades

Sorry, I mean if they're compared to 10 A*s by admissions tutors. I was really happy at the time!
Original post by LiquidGold

I am exceptionally bright, I just have a horrific work ethic. It's also a maturity thing, so factors people can't see when you're 10 haha. Honestly feel quite guilty because there's people out there who have to work much harder than I do to attain the same grades, but I've turned it around now anyway.
Original post by nulli tertius
If you are thinking about Dad's taxi at the beginning and end of term, then it hardly matters. Your parents are going to make a day/weekend of it and you are only travelling one way.

If you are thinking of travelling back and forth by train mid term, then Bristol is going to as easy as many other places (and cheaper than plenty) because there is a good train service linking the cities that doesn't involve going through London.

Yeah I decided it's silly - Bristol and Bath are great unis pretty much top outside Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL so worth a choice.
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've gone in the exact opposite direction, from Bristol to Manchester. The trains are fine - exactly three hours on a direct train from Piccadilly to Temple Meads, which I use to work (I quite like it - no distractions!). I once spent 27 hours straight on a coach, so I do struggle to see 3 hours as a long journey! You've then got about half an hour door to door on public transport.

I've found it entirely possible to go back for the weekend, normally travelling down on Friday evening and back on Sunday evening. Fares are about £40 return with a railcard, which is entirely reasonable.

Bristol is a lovely city, and you'll be in a nice area of it throughout your time there ie Clifton /Cotham / Redland / Stoke Bishop (certainly nicer than the areas that Manchester students inhabit!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I have a negative view because I'm up North, so most people go uni here, and all the stories are mental from Leeds/Nottingham etc. so I want that too :smile: Probably going to apply to Bristol though the course looks great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending