The Student Room Group

Hong Kong University VS Toronto University

Hello everyone,

I am currently studying in a BSc in Business Management at King's College London, and I would like to study abroad during my second year, ie next year.

I have the choice between Hong Kong University and Toronto University, but I REALLY do not know which one might be the best:

For me, both cities looks incredibly beautiful and amazing, but I cannot make a choice only on different pictures that I see on Internet, and on two or three rankings !!

I would really like to know if some of you already went there, and if it is the case, how did you like it ?

Moreover, I don't know which university is the best among the two mentionned above :/

Finally, what would you do if you were me ?

Thank you for your time and precious help :smile:

StudioBagel =)
Where do you see yourself working in the future -if you think this might include Asia, the HK experience could be invaluable.
Culturally very different - how good would you be at adapting to a very different culture/language like China, or would Toronto feel easier?
Think also about travel experiences you could do from each - Japan/Australia/rest of China or Canada/USA - remember you'll be there for a whole academic year.

Academic ratings wont be an issue - both are well respected Unis and frankly no employer will be that fussed about exactly where you did a YA.
Where are you going to feel happiest, and what would be the different academic experience in terms of classes/units etc you could actually do?

Personally I'd go for Toronto - but thats because I'm rubbish at languages and would find the more 'European' feel of Canada more comfortable/familiar.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've moved this to the international study forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It's all up to you, but in case you're curious about a new culture, I think Hong Kong would be more exciting :wink:
Actually Hong Kong is a very English city:s-smilie:

I was born in Hong Kong, lived there for 18 years and I am studying at Sheffield now. In fact there is enormous British influence in Hong Kong, it is just like an English city but everyone speak Cantonese and eat Chinese food. As I know, University of Hong Kong is the best uni in HK and located near central business district. That is the most British region in Hong Kong due to the relatively large population of western people there. Lifestyle is not really a problem there. Just avoid to go some remote, poor area alone as people there might not be able to speak proper English.

Advantages of HK : New, diverse, dim sum, inexpensive things ( NO VAT !!!)
Disadvantages of HK : Poor Air, People might not be very friendly to strangers, Hong Kong Accent (even for some fluent English speaker)

If you want to know more about Hong Kong, you can pm me. Hope this might help!
Reply 5
Both universities are highly ranked, however as a Hong Kong resident and a future HKU applicant, I can say that you'll feel quite comfortable there as there are many international students in HKU. Furthermore, HKU is located in a very nice area within Hong Kong, however as people have mentioned, it is quite polluted in HK and housing is quite expensive here. Personally, I would say that you should consider HKU (obviously, I'd be biased here) but really, it's like a melting pot of many different cultures here and I can say that you'd really enjoy it. This is completely a pro-HKU post as I don't know a lot about UofT. :P Good luck, and I'm sure you'll have a great time at the uni you choose!
Original post by StudioBagel
Hello everyone,

I am currently studying in a BSc in Business Management at King's College London, and I would like to study abroad during my second year, ie next year.

I have the choice between Hong Kong University and Toronto University, but I REALLY do not know which one might be the best:

For me, both cities looks incredibly beautiful and amazing, but I cannot make a choice only on different pictures that I see on Internet, and on two or three rankings !!

I would really like to know if some of you already went there, and if it is the case, how did you like it ?

Moreover, I don't know which university is the best among the two mentionned above :/

Finally, what would you do if you were me ?

Thank you for your time and precious help :smile:

StudioBagel =)

Hi there.

Having been to both places, I can tell you the advantages and disadvantages of the two cities.

Toronto: Being in Toronto, and especially studying at U of T, has its advantages and disadvantages. Located in downtown Toronto, close to the Royal Ontario Museum and Yorkville, a high-end shopping area, you will have convenient access to the subway, which means you will be able to explore other parts of the city. Considering that Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world (and the fourth best city to live in the world), you will have lots of varieties of restaurants, from Thai to Korean, Italian to Greek, and the list goes on. Not only will you be in one of Canada's major cities, you will be studying in one of Canada's best universities. Of course, being in one of the biggest cities in Canada at one of the best universities in Canada will have a bad side of it. You will be competing for marks with a lot of bright and studious students and you will be paying a lot of taxes with a high cost of living (however, in comparison to Hong Kong, it isn't much). Another bad thing about studying abroad in North America means you will be paying a lot if you are to travel to other cities. If you don't mind being in the bus for hours to get to your destination, since taking the train or plane is really expensive, then you would be able to go to cities like Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, New York City, even Boston. With that being said, Toronto will be a very interesting experience for you and I think you will enjoy being here.

Hong Kong: HK is totally different from Toronto. It is a really exotic city and it has a lot of perks with it. If you like shopping, then you will be able to shop without tax and have a lot of opportunities to try different kinds of restaurants. You will also be studying at HKU, which would be the best university in Hong Kong. Being in a very Western-influenced area of Hong Kong, it will not be a problem conversing with others in English. Despite being in a small city with an extensive transportation system, transportation costs will be really high as you will be relying a lot on buses and the MRT, since it charges your trip from origin to destination in terms of distance. The cost of living is also really high in HK, so be prepared to bring a sufficient amount of money with you. Due to the proximity of other countries to HK, you will be able to travel to other destinations extensively without having to pay too much for it, depending on the season and which airline you will be taking. That being said, HK is a great option if you like an exotic destination with good travel destinations close by.

Now, it is your call. Both cities are great and both have its perks and disadvantages. Hope you will be able to make a choice and let us know which one you choose!
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for your help, I know a lot more things now than previously!!

I must admit that I am a little bit more attracted by Hong Kong (very slightly !!!!), but there are still three things that I would like to know:

People told me that the life in Hong Kong was super expensive, whereas some told me you could buy food for like 1p ... Don't understand that.

Secondly, which one would you choose if you were a 18-19 years old student (me) ? Seems like life in both cities is different whether you are 18 or 35.

Thirdly, what about the beauty of both cities ?

Thanks a lot for your help, all of you,

StudioBagel :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by apoorvahk
Both universities are highly ranked, however as a Hong Kong resident and a future HKU applicant, I can say that you'll feel quite comfortable there as there are many international students in HKU. Furthermore, HKU is located in a very nice area within Hong Kong, however as people have mentioned, it is quite polluted in HK and housing is quite expensive here. Personally, I would say that you should consider HKU (obviously, I'd be biased here) but really, it's like a melting pot of many different cultures here and I can say that you'd really enjoy it. This is completely a pro-HKU post as I don't know a lot about UofT. :P Good luck, and I'm sure you'll have a great time at the uni you choose!

Thanks everyone for your help, I know a lot more things now than previously!!

I must admit that I am a little bit more attracted by Hong Kong (very slightly !!!!), but there are still three things that I would like to know:

People told me that the life in Hong Kong was super expensive, whereas some told me you could buy food for like 1p ... Don't understand that.

To answer your first question, it really depends on what you are getting. You can get cheap food from street vendors which offer snacks like smelly tofu, curry fish balls, Chinese egg waffles (or egg puffs) to Western-influenced fusion HK cuisine such as baked rice, spaghetti with sliced ham in cream sauce, and HK-style French toast. There are varieties of food to choose from in HK, and the prices depends on which type of food you are looking for. Generally, street vendors are really cheap (you can get an afternoon tea combo for around HK $25-30; much cheaper than London's Chinatown in my opinion) and HK-style tea cafeterias are good for a quick and cheap eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There are other alternatives to choose from, such as congee restaurants which sell noodles, rice, congee, dim sum restaurants, as well as all-you-can-eat Japanese restaurants (although they are pretty expensive), seafood restaurants (expensive, but an amazing experience if you are eating with a large group of friends), Indian and Pakistani restaurants (especially in Tsim Sha Tsui), as well as Western restaurants.

Secondly, which one would you choose if you were a 18-19 years old student (me) ? Seems like life in both cities is different whether you are 18 or 35.

In response to your second question, I would say Hong Kong hands down. As a food junkie, I love the fact that you will be able to try a lot of different Chinese cuisine. Also, the city provides a lot of entertainment and stuff to do.

Thirdly, what about the beauty of both cities ?

Thanks a lot for your help, all of you,

StudioBagel :smile:

There is too much to talk about the two cities, so I am just going to sum up the major things that I like about HK and Toronto respectively.

The beauty of Hong Kong is that it has a very lively atmosphere and energetic feel and it offers a lot of cuisine and entertainment that you will not be able to experience in Canada. With its extensive transportation system and close proximity to subway stations and bus stops everywhere (and also taxis, don't forget), you will have easy access pretty much to anywhere within Hong Kong. Nightlife is also really great in HK. However, if you are really claustrophobic and hate being around a lot of people, then HK isn't the place for you. Note that the living space in Hong Kong is really small and you will not have a lot of personal space to yourself, so if you don't like being in such a high-density environment, then I do not recommend going to Hong Kong.

As for Toronto, I really love the multiculturalism of the city. You will meet many different people from different backgrounds and walks of life. You would also be able to try many ethnic cuisines in Toronto in different sections of the city and explore different parts of the city, given the ethnic diversity of the city. There are also a lot of museums, attractions, and galleries that you can visit within a short distance from U of T, since the transportation system is really good in downtown Toronto, with access to subways, streetcars, and buses. Note that your transportation costs for public transit are much lower than in HK (except for taxis), since it is a flat rate to go from your place of origin to your destination. You can also get day passes to explore around the city without having to spend more than your limit, unlike HK. It will also be a lot more spacious, considering that Toronto is a bigger city with less people. Note that most Canadians are really friendly and welcoming (at least more than HK in my opinion) and you will be able to have a better experience if you were to choose Toronto (but then, that depends on who you will encounter; this is just my experience).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by zero_Gravity91
To answer your first question, it really depends on what you are getting. You can get cheap food from street vendors which offer snacks like smelly tofu, curry fish balls, Chinese egg waffles (or egg puffs) to Western-influenced fusion HK cuisine such as baked rice, spaghetti with sliced ham in cream sauce, and HK-style French toast. There are varieties of food to choose from in HK, and the prices depends on which type of food you are looking for. Generally, street vendors are really cheap (you can get an afternoon tea combo for around HK $25-30; much cheaper than London's Chinatown in my opinion) and HK-style tea cafeterias are good for a quick and cheap eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There are other alternatives to choose from, such as congee restaurants which sell noodles, rice, congee, dim sum restaurants, as well as all-you-can-eat Japanese restaurants (although they are pretty expensive), seafood restaurants (expensive, but an amazing experience if you are eating with a large group of friends), Indian and Pakistani restaurants (especially in Tsim Sha Tsui), as well as Western restaurants.

In response to your second question, I would say Hong Kong hands down. As a food junkie, I love the fact that you will be able to try a lot of different Chinese cuisine. Also, the city provides a lot of entertainment and stuff to do.

There is too much to talk about the two cities, so I am just going to sum up the major things that I like about HK and Toronto respectively.

The beauty of Hong Kong is that it has a very lively atmosphere and energetic feel and it offers a lot of cuisine and entertainment that you will not be able to experience in Canada. With its extensive transportation system and close proximity to subway stations and bus stops everywhere (and also taxis, don't forget), you will have easy access pretty much to anywhere within Hong Kong. Nightlife is also really great in HK. However, if you are really claustrophobic and hate being around a lot of people, then HK isn't the place for you. Note that the living space in Hong Kong is really small and you will not have a lot of personal space to yourself, so if you don't like being in such a high-density environment, then I do not recommend going to Hong Kong.

As for Toronto, I really love the multiculturalism of the city. You will meet many different people from different backgrounds and walks of life. You would also be able to try many ethnic cuisines in Toronto in different sections of the city and explore different parts of the city, given the ethnic diversity of the city. There are also a lot of museums, attractions, and galleries that you can visit within a short distance from U of T, since the transportation system is really good in downtown Toronto, with access to subways, streetcars, and buses. Note that your transportation costs for public transit are much lower than in HK (except for taxis), since it is a flat rate to go from your place of origin to your destination. You can also get day passes to explore around the city without having to spend more than your limit, unlike HK. It will also be a lot more spacious, considering that Toronto is a bigger city with less people. Note that most Canadians are really friendly and welcoming (at least more than HK in my opinion) and you will be able to have a better experience if you were to choose Toronto (but then, that depends on who you will encounter; this is just my experience).

Hi Zero Gravity,

Thank you very much for your very high quality answers, which are very useful to me. Now I know a lot more things about both places, and with what you said to me and with further research, I have to admit that I am highly tempted to go there!!

I still have to think about it, but for the moment, I would go for HK !!

I will tell you about my choice later :smile: Btw do you know stg about HK university or Toronto uni, or both ?

Thanks again,

Studio :smile:
Great thread! (Although old)

Applying to HKU, UofT (and NUS) for next year too! HKU will be my first choice as I can put down 1-5.

After considering UofT as my top choice for a very long time (the city, multiculturalism, collegiate system, reputation, relatively close to many "must see places", skiing...) I started leaning towards Hong Kong as it offers a unique environment, with a prevalent East meets West atmosphere. The opportunity to travel in the region before and after my year abroad will be a major part of the experience, and I see Asia as a place to be right now (in regards to my subject).

Employers can view a YA as something you did outside of your comfort zone whilst obtaining a different perspective, I think HK offers more to learn and "take in".

Keep us posted! Might see you in HK next year!
(edited 10 years ago)
If your doing it as an integral year think about the grade conversion too. I know for a fact that UofT had problems with grade deflation a few years ago and both Uni's grade many subjects on a bell curve.
Hi Zero Gravity,

Thank you very much for your very high quality answers, which are very useful to me. Now I know a lot more things about both places, and with what you said to me and with further research, I have to admit that I am highly tempted to go there!!

I still have to think about it, but for the moment, I would go for HK !!

I will tell you about my choice later :smile: Btw do you know stg about HK university or Toronto uni, or both ?

Thanks again,

Studio :smile:

Sorry for the late response! I didn't know you responded to me!

Um...I don't know what you are looking for in both universities. I know some things about U of T, since many of my friends are going there, but I don't know too much about HKU.

If you are talking about rankings, both of them are top universities. U of T is ranked around 20th place in the world and HKU is around 26th place to 35th place in the world, depending on the different rankings.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about either one of those universities! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest