The Student Room Group

Help with submitting written work for Oxford

Hi guys, once again I appreciate any help that is given.

Basically, I've applied for Music at Oxford but they also require written work that I would have to submit later. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the address that I would need in order to send the written work. The Oxford website said to look at its individual colleges, but I don't think that there is a college for music.

Can someone help me with this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KieranThompson
Hi guys, once again I appreciate any help that is given.

Basically, I've applied for Music at Oxford but they also require written work that I would have to submit later. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the address that I would need in order to send the written work. The Oxford website said to look at its individual colleges, but I don't think that there is a college for music.

Can someone help me with this?

You would send it to the college you applied to, obviously. Are you sure you've applied to Oxford?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/applying_to_oxford/written_work/written_work.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I've checked from my UCAS that the campus is "University (X)"

Is there an address for this I can find?
I've checked from my UCAS that the campus is the main site

Is there an address for this I can find?

Read the page I linked you to.
Reply 4
Again, thanks for the help - but I had made sure to have read those pages before posting this thread.

Are they just referring to the main university? On my UCAS the course's campus wasn't a college
Again, thanks for the help - but I had made sure to have read those pages before posting this thread.

Are they just referring to the main university? On my UCAS the course's campus wasn't a college

Oxford famously doesn't have a campus; it is a city centre university. Which college have you applied to?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
My apologies for not being so knowledgeable about this field.

Is there anyone else that can help me without any sort of underlying satire? Would be greatly appreciated.

I can't remember whether the UCAS form states your college or not, but you must know which college you have applied to? Or have you made an open application? There is no main university - all applications are done via your college.

I'm not intending to be rude or satirical, I'm genuinely trying to help. I'm a current Oxford student.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
This is from my UCAS view details page.

[h="2"]Oxford University (O33)[/h][h="2"]Music (W300)[/h]
Campus: University (X)Live at home while studying?: No
Start date: October 2014Deferred entry?: No
Point of entry:

NOTE:
The following admissions test may be required for entry on this course:
Institution's own test (IOT).

If you apply for this course you may be invited to attend an interview or audition or provide a portfolio, essay or other piece of work.
This is from my UCAS view details page.

[h="2"]Oxford University (O33)[/h][h="2"]Music (W300)[/h]
Campus: University (X)Live at home while studying?: No
Start date: October 2014Deferred entry?: No
Point of entry:

NOTE:
The following admissions test may be required for entry on this course:
Institution's own test (IOT).

If you apply for this course you may be invited to attend an interview or audition or provide a portfolio, essay or other piece of work.

Just tell us which college you are applying to, or whether it is an open application. Does that make any sense to you?
Reply 10
I just checked and you should have put a college in, there is not an option called "University" on mine. I would quickly ring up both Oxford and UCAS to find out what college they mailed it to
Perhaps you have applied to University College, in which case you should submit the work to the music admissions tutor there.
Original post by Good bloke
Perhaps you have applied to University College, in which case you should submit the work to the music admissions tutor there.

I'll see if that's the case.

I was thinking before hand that maybe I should be sending my written work to 'The Faculty Of Music' `?
(edited 10 years ago)
I'll see if that's the case.

I was thinking before hand that I should be sending my written work to 'The Faculty Of Music'

You must, surely, know which college you have applied to? Or that you have made an open application?

Surely?

:tumble:
As above, there is a college called 'University College'. I think you would know if you applied to a particular college, but it could have been a mistake. Perhaps ring UCAS up? :smile:
It doesn't look as if they require written work at this stage: visit http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/applying_to_oxford/tests/index.html and look under 'music'. You will have to do some tests at interview, if you get one. Hope this helps.
Original post by pepperthecat
It doesn't look as if they require written work at this stage: visit http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/applying_to_oxford/tests/index.html and look under 'music'. You will have to do some tests at interview, if you get one. Hope this helps.

Yes you do.

http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/admissions/admissions_main.html
I'm seriously confused to why people are thinking I have no idea of my college, which is understandable.

Bottom line is, I followed the basic prodecure of applying for a course in a university.

- Read the course outlines, the requirements on the Oxford Music website (They also have no information regarding the college by the way)
- Applied for music at Oxford through the UCAS application form like everyone else, (regarding campsuses, only one option arose - which was 'University (X)'
Do you know what, forget it.

I think I have to send my work to the Faculty of Music

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/music/music.html

"Contact Details
The Academic Administrator
Faculty of Music, St Aldate’s, Oxford OX1 1DB
+44 (0) 1865 286264
Please email us at[email protected]
View website"

Is this correct? Sorry for the commotion
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm seriously confused to why people are thinking I have no idea of my college, which is understandable.

It's quite possible you haven't been properly informed about the college system, particularly if you come from a school that doesn't normally send applicants. Don't be put off by what we've said.

However, it's unusual, and you ought to find out exactly what you've applied for. Most people who apply to Oxford have been choosing a college for months. Basically, the university consists of several colleges, that work independently. Most colleges teach most subjects, and they are where you live and work, seperate from the faculties, which are where you have lectures. I applied years ago, so I can't remember at what stage you put your college in, but I know it's right near the start of the application. Perhaps Charlzi can say?

Original post by Charlzi
I just checked and you should have put a college in, there is not an option called "University" on mine. I would quickly ring up both Oxford and UCAS to find out what college they mailed it to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending