The Student Room Group

Enhanced CRB doesnt show caution??

I would be grateful for any advice regarding the enhanced CRB. For previous jobs I have undergone standard and enhanced checks but no caution has ever shown. I was cautioned for a minor offence in 1995, on a student demonstration which was for willful obstruction of the highway. I was about 19 at the time. I am planning to apply for nursing and will obviously be subjected to another enhanced CRB so do I be honest and admit this or keep quiet. My last enhanced CRB in 2012 showed nothing, 4 previous CRB's also showed nothing (enhanced too) . I am a bit confused as to why nothing is on there.....I thought all cautions were automatically recorded? My fear is one day it will show- has anyone else had a similar experience? Any advice will be so greatly appreciated, really stuck as to what to do.
Reply 1
be honest, whatever you do, do not lie about it. Lying will get you kicked out, honesty really is the best policy, and a caution of that nature is unlikely to be a problem, but it will be if you don't disclose it.
Prior to 2006, police were able to delete records entirely after a certain period, depending on the nature of the offence, the disposal and the age of the person at the time of the offence. The police were not obliged to delete records, however, and many records that may have been eligible for deletion did not get deleted. If you had cautions or convictions before 2006 that do not appear on Standard or Enhanced DBS checks, it is likely that they have been deleted under the old weeding guidelines.

As a result of the Bichard Inquiry in 2006, the police stopped deleting records. A procedure called ‘step down’ was introduced, which meant that the police could retain records on the PNC indefinitely but they could be filtered from Standard or Enhanced DBS checks after a certain period had elapsed.

In October 2009, as a result of a decision made by the Court of Appeal in relation to a case that was made against the police, all step-down procedures were stopped and reversed. If you applied to have your record stepped down between March 2006 and October 2009, you are likely to find that they will be disclosed on any Standard or Enhanced DBS checks that you apply for now.

As of 29th May 2013, the DBS introduced a filtering system. Please refer to our section on filtering for further information.

About filtering

However, I would still recommend declaring it. As it was so long ago it's very unlikely to have any affect on your application.

Quick Reply

Latest