The Student Room Group

Pre acceptance interviews

Hi

I joined today and originally posted this in the welcome lounge, but I think this is a more appropriate forum, so I hope you don't mind me reposting!

I am a parent of a daughter currently applying to several Universities for Film Production. I can see by other threads that pretty much all of these courses ask the students to attend for interview/portfolio viewing. We live in NI and are already spending £300+ just to come over for ONE open day! I cannot even begin to contemplate spending this 5 more times for interviews, I just don't have that kind of money! Do they have to attend for these interviews? Can she not send a DVD of her work and interview by skype or something? Obviously I don't want her to lose out on chances, but it really is a financial impossibility! I would really appreciate your opinions, thanks!
not really my area so I suggest she ask the universities - and that you don't come for open days but only if she gets interviews.

If she really has to come then you need to work on finding the cheapest ways - booking transport in advance and perhaps staying in youth hostels or cheap hotels like ibis. Hostelworld and hostelbooking would have cheap places, she probably wouldn't get much sleep though. If you need to travel other than by plane look at things like megabus (despite the name can include trains) and student railcards/ national express cards (young persons coachcard).
Reply 2
Hi and welcome :smile: Join our cheerleaders and nailbiters club of anxious parentals here on this forum :smile:

Sorry I haven't got any direct experience with your predicament but I thought I glanced somewhere on this site that they sometimes have travel bursaries for people in your situation. Best to get in touch with the unis concerned and see if this is possible especially given the nature and requirements of your daughter's course. Skype would be a good option too if they do it.
You'll have to speak to the unis and see what they say. The response is likely to be different from every uni.
However, I agree that you need to start working on making this cheaper - train and ferry rather than car / plane, send her over by herself (always a good way to halve the costs instantly!), youth hostels rather than hotels (YHA ones tend to be quieter and more family orientated) and so on. £300 does seem a bit excessive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you for the welcome and the replies! You must all have raised more independent children than I!! There's no way I can see her getting there by herself the first time! Although in defense we do live in NI where travelling more than 25 miles from your home town is regarded as a 'day out' and changing trains is virtually unheard of lol!
We don't qualify for bursaries as I do work, it's just a big chunk! The Irish Sea is notoriously the most expensive strip of water to cross for some reason. I researched ferry/ train/ coach and they were all equally (or more) expensive, and more time constraining/constricting, necessitating 2 overnight stays!
She has her heart set on Arts Uni Bournemouth and I would like her to get a good feel for the place to help ensure she makes the right decision, so that will be the one and only open day! Due to flight times we have to stay overnight and will use the following morning to get at least a 'drive by' of Edge Hill and New Bucks for an idea of the areas. Unfortunately Lancs and Norwich will have to wait until the interview date if she gets one! Perhaps I shall contact the Unis at that time if it is again going to be another huge expense. With any sort of luck the flight times will be extended on week days meaning a one day trip!
Original post by catgirl94
There's no way I can see her getting there by herself the first time!

You'll be surprised what people can achieve if they have to - and if she is going to be ready to go to university next year she needs to become more independent. Of course she'd need help initially to make the arrangements and it's nailbiting waiting to hear if they got there safely. As long as they have money on them they learn to cope. We got our DC a credit card that used our account, most allow a second card. They were warned it was strictly for emergencies and had a cashcard backup.

I've never looked at flights from NI but I know they are expensive. We had to do things like book an overnight stay as off peak rail travel was cheaper than full fare plus hotel. Maybe a different airport and rail fare on would be cheaper? Ryanair fly to NI. Explore routes in advance.

Start to teach her how to get cheap meals. Wetherspoons are a cheap chain of pubs but picking up a sandwich from a supermarket is even cheaper. Or get some rolls, ham and coleslaw for a picnic meal. Larger supermarkets have salad bars.
Reply 6
I completely understand about you accompanying your daughter - my children were all quite capable of doing it on their own but wanted my company and my opinion, and we enjoyed making the trips together. In your case, it is a much bigger trip than just a train journey.

While you are here I would try to see as many places as possible - all unis offer campus visits - often guided tours by current students - outside of open days, so you would get a feel for a few places. Could you extend your stay by a night to see more places - I know that is expense but at least it is only one lot of travel.

Definitely discuss the interview element with individual unis - they all interview international students via skype or phone and would, I am sure, do the same for your daughter. It is totally unreasonable to have her travelling back and forth to NI - we only live in Devon but the cost becomes prohibitive - not to mention the time she will have to take off school.

Have a great trip! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending