The Student Room Group

Why do people chose 'Party Halls' if they're gonna complain?

Scroll to see replies

There is not issue with people going out and partying nobody cares about that, I didn't care if my flatmates had loud music and noisy pre drinks because it was sort of expected. BUT its not necessary to come in and be noisy and wake others up its inconsiderate.

Its just selfish yes you can go party at uni but not everybody wants to party. I love to go out I went out a lot in my first year but I didn't appreciate being woken up at 3 am on day I had a 9 am lecture.

I go on a night out, if we're still drunk and lary we go to the kebab shop and make a noise there and walk home and then get in and go to bed quietly. You have to remember your living in halls with other people its not only about you.

My old flatmates use to try get in my room at 4am or have a party at 5 am where they just stood screaming and shouting. IM not a party pooper but even this eventually got to me. Just be considerate thtas all its not hard.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Le Nombre
I'm not talking about playing music or talking loudly, that's just being dickish. But at my uni at least people complained aboutt people make any noise after a night out. My mate had someone complain that the sound of him turning the key in the lock was keeping his next door neighbour awake, short of climbing through a window there's not an awful lot you cad do to stop that. I had a similar thing with someone above me complaining that my tap ruunning woke them up when I came in. Your attitude's fine but it's when people get on their high horse about you basically doing anything to make noise beyond midnight that it gets annoying.

but there is a gigantic difference between that and people stomping up the corridor or shouting or what not. I think its a give and take situation if your in halls you have to accept that it will be noisybut not to the point where it affects your studies.
Original post by MancBoy
Partying is fine at uni but when it disturbs the well-being of others then it's not fine. Why cant people stop being total douches and have fun at the same time? It's easy not to be a douche you know...

Exactly - I went for popular halls at uni because I wanted to meet social people to go out and do stuff with. Nobody complains if you're being noisy in a club at 2am. When you come home just keep it down and go to bed because sometimes you'll need the sleep too and other people will be out and you don't want to be disturbed.

Problem is some people are not so much 'party goers' as 'attention seekers'. If you've been out on a night out and come back at 3am and turn on your drum & bass loud enough to wake everybody up, or come back screaming/shouting/banging on doors, the real reason you're doing it is to send a message: "look I am a crazy / fun person, I'm drunk, and I don't care about the rules!". It's just about seeking attention.

At uni you have to live in a community with other people and just because they are other young people doesn't mean they won't be annoyed if you act like a knob. The people that complain when you are noisy in the early hours of the morning and wake them up are not boring people that don't have social lives they are just trying to get some sleep so they can be alert for their uni course.

Sometimes you don't know when you're making noise and you can't be expected to walk on eggshells but if someone comes and tells you that you're disturbing them then why not respect them and just keep it down, its not much of a sacrifice at all. If you go on about some big "entitlement" to make noise and wake everyone up as though its an infringement on your rights then you need to get a life. We used to sometimes come back and play pro evo after nights out, of course in the heat of the moment when somebody scores there would be some shouting and hollering and one of the girls came and told us that we were waking them up....so fair enough we decided to keep pro evo for the daytime and set up a networked football manager game so we could play it quietly with each other in our rooms if we wanted to play football stuff at night.
Reply 63
Original post by Miracle Day
Do they? Or is that just an assumption?

In my Uni Talybont Court has the best facilities, and everytime I walk passed it, it's dead.

That's probably because it's so expensive. I'm assuming you're from Talybont South? That's second best in terms of facilities after Court.
Reply 64
how would u even know what the party halls are before anyone has even moved in when your putting down your choices?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Because they have the best facilities.

I don't give a **** if it's "party halls", if you're going to be an immature prick with no restraint because you're finally away from your parents with access to unlimited booze and you want to be soooo cooool n hardkore and wake me up at 2am, I will tell you to shut up, I will bang pans at 7am and I will put in a complaint.

Spoiler

Actually the cheaper accomodation is generally the louder.

For example at my uni the Towers are cheapest with communal kitchens and bathrooms and whatnot, and its poppin in here every night!
Original post by usernme_
how would u even know what the party halls are before anyone has even moved in when your putting down your choices?

Usually its the halls with the largest flat size = most number of people put together. Quite often the cheapest or one of the cheapest.
Depends how you woke them up. When you get in you can still be quite quiet but if you were to do something like start banging on their doors then they have every right to be cheesed off.
Reply 68
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Exactly - I went for popular halls at uni because I wanted to meet social people to go out and do stuff with. Nobody complains if you're being noisy in a club at 2am. When you come home just keep it down and go to bed because sometimes you'll need the sleep too and other people will be out and you don't want to be disturbed.

Problem is some people are not so much 'party goers' as 'attention seekers'. If you've been out on a night out and come back at 3am and turn on your drum & bass loud enough to wake everybody up, or come back screaming/shouting/banging on doors, the real reason you're doing it is to send a message: "look I am a crazy / fun person, I'm drunk, and I don't care about the rules!". It's just about seeking attention.

At uni you have to live in a community with other people and just because they are other young people doesn't mean they won't be annoyed if you act like a knob. The people that complain when you are noisy in the early hours of the morning and wake them up are not boring people that don't have social lives they are just trying to get some sleep so they can be alert for their uni course.

Sometimes you don't know when you're making noise and you can't be expected to walk on eggshells but if someone comes and tells you that you're disturbing them then why not respect them and just keep it down, its not much of a sacrifice at all. If you go on about some big "entitlement" to make noise and wake everyone up as though its an infringement on your rights then you need to get a life. We used to sometimes come back and play pro evo after nights out, of course in the heat of the moment when somebody scores there would be some shouting and hollering and one of the girls came and told us that we were waking them up....so fair enough we decided to keep pro evo for the daytime and set up a networked football manager game so we could play it quietly with each other in our rooms if we wanted to play football stuff at night.

Agreed with everything you said but the bit in bold I strongly agree. Attention seeking is the ONLY reason people commit this sort of behavior, they just want to let everyone else know they're having 'fun'. Its the reason why people open their windows when they blare out loud music...why open the window if they don't want anyone else to notice?
Reply 69
The kind of people on TSR are quite different to those you encounter in real life. This forum would make you think pizza and movie nights were the norm xD
Reply 70
Original post by ElChapo
The kind of people on TSR are quite different to those you encounter in real life. This forum would make you think pizza and movie nights were the norm xD

Agreed.
Reply 71
Because they have the best facilities.

I don't give a **** if it's "party halls", if you're going to be an immature prick with no restraint because you're finally away from your parents with access to unlimited booze and you want to be soooo cooool n hardkore and wake me up at 2am, I will tell you to shut up, I will bang pans at 7am and I will put in a complaint.

Spoiler

ever heard of people doing it because they want to have FUN?

also have never seen anyone drink alcopops except when they DON'T want to get drunk at uni...
Original post by Moura
ever heard of people doing it because they want to have FUN?

also have never seen anyone drink alcopops except when they DON'T want to get drunk at uni...

You can have fun without being a total knobrider. Also anyone who needs to drink to have a good time must be a pretty dull person.
Reply 73
You can have fun without being a total knobrider. Also anyone who needs to drink to have a good time must be a pretty dull person.

whoever said anything about needing to drink? i don't NEED to go to a theme park to have fun, but it is something i enjoy and have fun doing. it does not equate to not being able to have fun outside of that.
Reply 74
Original post by Moura
whoever said anything about needing to drink? i don't NEED to go to a theme park to have fun, but it is something i enjoy and have fun doing. it does not equate to not being able to have fun outside of that.

By your logic - I enjoy punching people in the face. Therefore, it is not my problem if people do not enjoy being punched in the face, they shouldnt have chose the same hall/flat/house as me.
Reply 75
Original post by c471
By your logic - I enjoy punching people in the face. Therefore, it is not my problem if people do not enjoy being punched in the face, they shouldnt have chose the same hall/flat/house as me.

yep because punching someone else is the same as drinking alcohol... great logic there, well done, feel proud.
Reply 76
Original post by Moura
yep because punching someone else is the same as drinking alcohol... great logic there, well done, feel proud.

maybe you should spend sometime off the booze if you cannot process what is clearly a metaphor for the attitude.

its not about drinking alcohol. Nobody would care a jot if you went out and drank rocket fuel. The problem is people coming back having no consideration. Just because they think it is fun, does not absolve them of the basic human decency we expect the rest of the time.

Quite simply projecting a lack of consideration onto somebody else. And it isnt because it's fun. Nobody goes out to be loud. Nobody says 'Man, I was so loud last night, it was awesome.'

Do whatever you want on a night out, we could do with chlorinating the gene pool a little so the wilder the better IMO. No need to wake everybody up when you go to bed though is there?
Reply 77
Original post by c471
maybe you should spend sometime off the booze if you cannot process what is clearly a metaphor for the attitude.

its not about drinking alcohol. Nobody would care a jot if you went out and drank rocket fuel. The problem is people coming back having no consideration. Just because they think it is fun, does not absolve them of the basic human decency we expect the rest of the time.

Quite simply projecting a lack of consideration onto somebody else. And it isnt because it's fun. Nobody goes out to be loud. Nobody says 'Man, I was so loud last night, it was awesome.'

Do whatever you want on a night out, we could do with chlorinating the gene pool a little so the wilder the better IMO. No need to wake everybody up when you go to bed though is there?

but it's not, it's not only ridiculously exaggerated, but it's entirely irrelevant, there is no relation between the two. you're trying to compare two completely different things. one is directly hurting a person intentionally, the other is only causing harm to yourself!
Reply 78
You guys are debating the logic of having fun on TSR, not sure either of you know how to have it :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm now in a party halls, and out of the six accommodation preferences I could list, this was not one of them.
Chances are they were just assigned to those halls and couldn't swap.

Quick Reply

Latest