The Student Room Group

Is wearing make-up a 'betrayal'? One woman's transformation sparks online backlash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2454391/Is-wearing-make-betrayal-One-womans-dramatic-transformation-sparks-online-backlash.html

We all know the power makeup can do to transform a woman's face from ugly or average to good looking. Do you believe these images demonstrate that makeup is a 'betrayal' because it hides a woman's true self?

Scroll to see replies

'We all know that armpit hair, hairy legs, arm hair, monobrows, facial hair etc can do to transform a woman from ugly to average. Do you believe that that hair removal is a 'betrayal' because it hides a woman's true self?'

:rolleyes:

If you're going to be campaigning for women to be 'all natural' then you better get used to hairy legs mate because the preceptions of what 'natural beauty' is so distorted that I doubt most would even be attracted to it anymore.
In some cases possibly but in the majority make up can enhance their looks and in certain circumstances it can give other benefits such as confidence etc, (some girls on that "snog, marry, avoid" program, some of the girls look better and show more happier with the make up)

As for the pics in the article she looks grumpy in both of the pictures and looks unattractive in them.

I don't think that it is a betrayal as long as the amount of make up used is very minimal. It would be like saying push up bras are a betrayal for numerous reasons
No. Anyone who genuinely expects women to look like that when they get out of bed in the morning is an idiot. Everyone knows women wear makeup. Get over it.

I wear as much if not more makeup than the woman in the OP every day. I'm not betraying anyone. Because I don't owe anyone anything. I don't owe them a duty to see my natural face. It's my face and I'll style it how I want
Reply 4
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
No. Anyone who genuinely expects women to look like that when they get out of bed in the morning is an idiot. Everyone knows women wear makeup. Get over it.

I wear as much if not more makeup than the woman in the OP every day. I'm not betraying anyone. Because I don't owe anyone anything. I don't owe them a duty to see my natural face. It's my face and I'll style it how I want

Why do you wear so much make-up every day? Make-up is supposed to enhance your facial features not completely change what you look like...

...and that much make-up would make you look like a completely different person.
Reply 5
They do look crazy different.. But I guess if you put your all into finding good looks rather than personality then you deserve waking up to a 'Transformation'.
Reply 6
the comments piss me off. these people have no monopoly on how this lady wants to show her face to the world. if she wants to put on so much makeup, its her own choice. declaring her a 'liar' is a little ridiculous... but then they are daily mail readers so i should probably disregard. i just think its a little strange how women are expected to look like those in films and magazines and yet when she puts on makeup to try and look this way, some decide to criticise her.
Reply 7
its war paint to me to face the judgemental world
Original post by SuziieB
Why do you wear so much make-up every day? Make-up is supposed to enhance your facial features not completely change what you look like...

...and that much make-up would make you look like a completely different person.

I enjoy it, and I like to create an image. I'm an amateur makeup artist and I'm absolutely fascinated by it. It's a hobby to me.

It changes my look no more than curling/straightening my hair, wearing heels or flattering clothes
Calling it a betrayal is going a bit too far IMO. I personally think make up should be used moderately to enhance your features, I dislike it when women cake themselves in it and literally transform themselves into a different person. But at the end of the day, it's their face and they can do whatever they like to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Bassetts
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2454391/Is-wearing-make-betrayal-One-womans-dramatic-transformation-sparks-online-backlash.html

We all know the power makeup can do to transform a woman's face from ugly or average to good looking. Do you believe these images demonstrate that makeup is a 'betrayal' because it hides a woman's true self?

I've always thought this. Yes = betrayal.

I pretend to be a nice person, but it hides my real personality = betrayal.

Are you a man or a woman. I'm a man who dresses as a woman, look I've got a dangler. You betrayed me.
Reply 11
Original post by Bassetts

You used the wrong word: deceptive is makeup.
Reply 12
Original post by Bonmot

evolutionary trick.
Reply 13
faces are personal they dont belong to anyone but the person who has them
what you choose to do with your face is of no business to anyone else and they dont have some "right" to know what your face looks like without makeup or to decide how that person wants to wear makeup

womens faces are not owned or there for men and women dont have to please men when appling makeup , however she does her makeup has nothing to do with anyone else its her face to do as she pleases

so no there is no betrayal as there is nothing owed

makeup can be a way of painting on your identity , you may not be showing what your face looks like in the moring but you may be expressing your personality with it
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Let's be realistic, 95% of females cannot transform their face like the example shown without the help of a professional make up artist. Yes, they can put make up on and make a difference but not to that extent.

I wear lots of make up because it's something that I enjoy. People spend their wages on expensive clothes, I like spending mine on expensive make up. I enjoy creating different looks, from natural to dramatic and collecting eyeshadows/lipsticks is my kinda thing. I'm not afraid of someone seeing what my naked face looks like, it's just I like to look presentable when I'm out and about.

If someone is really disappointed by the way my face looks without some make up on then they're not really worth my time if I'm honest.
Reply 15
Strong transformation...If there was a zombie apocalypse and makeup disappeared from the world, how would we tell the difference between women and zombies?
Original post by Bonmot

:rofl:
Reply 17
Not a betrayal, though arguably misleading.
Reply 18
Anyone else find the supposedly 'better' photo too plastic to be attractive? Not a fan.
Reply 19
It's not a betrayal if 1) you're not in a relationship with that person and they hide their natural face, 2) it's her face and she hasn't hurt anybody, and 3) it's makeup (the purpose changes for every woman - whether it's to cover up, change or just enhance).

Quick Reply

Latest