The Student Room Group

Brazilian JiuJitsu

I been doing Brazilian JiuJistu for over a year now, its grown to become a part of my life, the dilemma is i'm applying to Uni in brimingham, does anyone know a good BJJ gym in birmingham that i can join when i do move?

edit: I train at Gracie Barra (Victor Estima) at the moment, so Im looking for a good BJJ based gym.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Birmingham has some great MMA gyms, so there should be some good BJJ instructors, probably expensive though....
Reply 2
Original post by redbenzene
the dilemma is i'm applying to Uni in brimingham,
unlucky mate. suggestion is try and get to at least purple belt before you go.
Original post by MJ1012
Birmingham has some great MMA gyms, so there should be some good BJJ instructors, probably expensive though....
you don't go 'mma class' to learn jiujitsu just like you don't go to Fitness and Health HND to become a doctor . Find a proper BJJ school, hopefully run by someone with competiton credentials
Reply 3
Original post by gogoge
unlucky mate. suggestion is try and get to at least purple belt before you go. you don't go 'mma class' to learn jiujitsu just like you don't go to Fitness and Health HND to become a doctor . Find a proper BJJ school, hopefully run by someone with competiton credentials

No you go to a BJJ class in an MMA school. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by MJ1012
No you go to a BJJ class in an MMA school. :s-smilie:

you cant get better than going a proper jj school, like for ie gracie barra, who don't need to hire rooms in an mma gym, they have proper schools
Reply 5
just checked OP apprrently there is a gracie barra school in Brum- run by braulio
Reply 6
That school teaches MMA aswell tbf
Reply 7
Original post by gogoge
unlucky mate. suggestion is try and get to at least purple belt before you go. you don't go 'mma class' to learn jiujitsu just like you don't go to Fitness and Health HND to become a doctor . Find a proper BJJ school, hopefully run by someone with competiton credentials

Erm no one can rightfully earn apurple belt in a year, did you mean blue?
Reply 8
Original post by MJ1012
That school teaches MMA aswell tbf

yes because mma is not as technically demanding as jj, or muay thai etc. its a hotch potch of cage fighting techniques. You can train mma pretty much anywhere nowadays. But to learn jiujitsu, you have to train it properly
Reply 9
Original post by gogoge
yes because mma is not as technically demanding as jj, or muay thai etc. its a hotch potch of cage fighting techniques. You can train mma pretty much anywhere nowadays. But to learn jiujitsu, you have to train it properly

But many high level BJJ practioners teach at pure BJJ at MMA schools. I don't disagree with Gracie Barra being a good choice but someone with only 1 year in BJJ can definitely learn things at gyms like UTC.
Reply 10
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Erm no one can rightfully earn apurple belt in a year, did you mean blue?

No , imeant purple, I got mine inside 10 nad half months - to achive purple in general you will need at least 3 Subs for each the 3 mounts and 2-3 from guard . Its Brown that takes the long time to get, because you have to have comprehensive skills in everything.
Reply 11
Original post by MJ1012
But many high level BJJ practioners teach at pure BJJ at MMA schools. I don't disagree with Gracie Barra being a good choice but someone with only 1 year in BJJ can definitely learn things at gyms like UTC.

mayebe they do, but they also teach in their schools, ive never seen a top class jiujutsoka teach only a mma class - it would be stupid. yes you can learn basics armbar etc in mma, but typically those guys who did one yr in mma get their shoulders popped when rolling with a proper jiujitsu student - besides which theres more to J your average mma person has no clue of - add to that mma you train to get big and bulky, it doesn't help with JJ, best jiujusokas are flexible and quick on the ground
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by gogoge
mayebe they do, but they also teach in their schools, ive never seen a top class jiujutsoka teach only a mma class - it would be stupid. yes you can learn basics armbar etc in mma, but typically those guys who did one yr in mma get their shoulders popped when rolling with a proper jiujitsu student - besides which theres more to J your average mma person has no clue of - add to that mma you train to get big and bulky, it doesn't help with JJ, best jiujusokas are flexible and quick on the ground

I'n not talking about MMA guys but pure BJJ guys, the gi classes where it is only BJJ. Just other martial arts will be taught in the same building, not unlike Gracie Barra
Reply 13
Original post by MJ1012
I'n not talking about MMA guys but pure BJJ guys, the gi classes where it is only BJJ. Just other martial arts will be taught in the same building, not unlike Gracie Barra

most mma is No-gi . Why would a proper BJJ student go to a mma school when he can go to a proper BJJ academy. and that's irrelevant because the people he teaches who train mma will not be as capable as teaching proper JJ studnets. you say its proper bjj clas,, I doubt it is . id say he trains much herder and more in depth classes when ges back to BJJ schools
Reply 14
thanks for the replys guys, im curruntly trainining with Gracie barra (victor estema), Birmingham does have a Gracie Barra (braulio) so ill consider than strongly!!
Reply 15
Original post by gogoge

I got about another year, so im hoping to rank up soon, purple might be a bit of a stretch though,

ps: how long you been training for?
Reply 16
Original post by gogoge
most mma is No-gi . Why would a proper BJJ student go to a mma school when he can go to a proper BJJ academy. and that's irrelevant because the people he teaches who train mma will not be as capable as teaching proper JJ studnets. you say its proper bjj clas,, I doubt it is . id say he trains much herder and more in depth classes when ges back to BJJ schools

Agree to disagree, but i don't think my suggestion of going to an BJJ class taught by a high level BJJ practioner to learn BJJ is the same as going to Fitness and Health HND to become a doctor.
Reply 17
Original post by MJ1012

Which MMA gyms in particular? I have been training MMA but not asmuch as BJJ, If theres a good MMA gym i could consider training MMA alongside BJJ at Gracie Barra. Depends on my uni time tables aswell i guess.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by redbenzene
I got about another year, so im hoping to rank up soon, purple might be a bit of a stretch though,

ps: how long you been training for?

I did about a year in tokyo, had a short break from martial arts when I came back and then took another 10-11 months to get up to purple belt , but that was training at least 4 times a week. I had trained judo when I was a kid too.You should push hard for ppl belt, not only does it mean you are competition standard, but it means you no longer have to get your shoulder ****ed up being the blue belt that the sensei demos the kimura on
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gogoge
you don't go 'mma class' to learn jiujitsu just like you don't go to Fitness and Health HND to become a doctor . Find a proper BJJ school, hopefully run by someone with competiton credentials

the good mma clubs have bjj classes taught by competition black/brown belts

but yes, it's easier to find a good bjj club

Quick Reply

Latest