The Student Room Group

What uni's should I apply for?

I know already that I'm not half as clever as some of you guys, but just looking for honest suggestions

So basically at GCSE I was lazy and never done anything. I had BCCCCC...

Long story short, my life has changed, and I have changed for better.

I'm doing A-Level Business, Economics and IT

I am predicted AAB.

Just looking for honest answers, not expecting amazing things.
Original post by joecotterill
I know already that I'm not half as clever as some of you guys, but just looking for honest suggestions

So basically at GCSE I was lazy and never done anything. I had BCCCCC...

Long story short, my life has changed, and I have changed for better.

I'm doing A-Level Business, Economics and IT

I am predicted AAB.

Just looking for honest answers, not expecting amazing things.

Go to http://www.whatuni.com/ and type in your predicted grades and it'll give you a list of appropriate courses.
Reply 2
Alright.
only few people achieve their predicted grades which is rare..
So i think, its not worth to trust those "predicted " grades. Ask yourself and the efforts you are putting.
Original post by kiara139
Alright.
So i think, its not worth to trust those "predicted " grades. Ask yourself and the efforts you are putting.

It isn't rare to reach your predicted grades, as long as they have been predicted sensibly. The school where I teach has been wrong in only 4% of cases over the last 15 years. The smart thing to do is to spread the risk, with 1 or 2 above the predicted grades, 2 or 3 at the same level and 1 or 2 below.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It isn't rare to reach your predicted grades, as long as they have been predicted sensibly. The school where I teach has been wrong in only 4% of cases over the last 15 years. The smart thing to do is to spread the risk, with 1 or 2 above the predicted grades, 2 or 3 at the same level and 1 or 2 below.

I am thinking about Kingston, Swansea and Hertfordshire. Not sure what else...
I am thinking about Kingston, Swansea and Hertfordshire. Not sure what else...

You haven't said what you want to study.
Reply 6
If your grades at A/S suggest you are on track for AAB (something ABB or BBB with high UMS) you will be able to apply for some great Uni's

With AAB I would suggest you look at Uni's like QMUL, Liverpool and perhaps an ambitious choice like Manchester. I know QMUL ask for ABB, which is higher than your requirements, and it's significantly better than Kingston.

I'm not trying to give you false hope, a friend of mine got into med school with mediocre GCSE's, based on an exceptional turn around at A-level strong P.S and references. I know I'd much rather do strong at A-Level then at GCSE. There is a reason GCSE requirements are usually C's, and A-Level requirements are A's and B's. Have more faith in yourself.
Reply 7
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You haven't said what you want to study.

Business Economics. Sorry.
Reply 8
Original post by goonermk
If your grades at A/S suggest you are on track for AAB (something ABB or BBB with high UMS) you will be able to apply for some great Uni's

With AAB I would suggest you look at Uni's like QMUL, Liverpool and perhaps an ambitious choice like Manchester. I know QMUL ask for ABB, which is higher than your requirements, and it's significantly better than Kingston.

I'm not trying to give you false hope, a friend of mine got into med school with mediocre GCSE's, based on an exceptional turn around at A-level strong P.S and references. I know I'd much rather do strong at A-Level then at GCSE. There is a reason GCSE requirements are usually C's, and A-Level requirements are A's and B's. Have more faith in yourself.

Thanks! I am looking for a university which has a decent american football team also. But Manchester and Liverpool would be an interest.
Reply 9
kingston and swansea are ****. pick a variety and work hard because AAB is a great set of results to have. i doubt that GCSEs matter if you've got good AS grades and when i applied most people in my year, despite their average predictions and actual results, got into pretty ambitious unis (apart from the top top ones).
Thanks! I am looking for a university which has a decent american football team also. But Manchester and Liverpool would be an interest.

Anyone for whom serious sport is a consideration in choosing a university should always look at what Loughborough and Bath in England and Stirling in Scotland are doing both for that sport and academically. They are the universities (outside Oxbridge) which devote most resources, time and effort to sport.
Original post by kiara139
Alright.

That's not even remotely true. :s-smilie:
I'm pretty sure most colleges make a point of being very realistic in predicted grades so as to not get a bad reputation. If only a few people achieved their predicted grades then they wouldn't even bother looking at them.
Original post by Daniellejo.
That's not even remotely true. :s-smilie:
I'm pretty sure most colleges make a point of being very realistic in predicted grades so as to not get a bad reputation. If only a few people achieved their predicted grades then they wouldn't even bother looking at them.

I am afraid you are mistaken. When the government did research based on the 2009 A level results, the conclusion was that for any given A level (not a group of three A levels) the chance of it being correctly predicted was 51.7%. There was a 41.7% chance of over-prediction and a 6.6% chance of under-prediction.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/32412/11-1043-investigating-accuracy-predicted-a-level-grades.pdf

Bear in mind that since those figures were done, the percentage if good grades in A levels has been dropping which might suggest the situation will have got worse.
Original post by nulli tertius
Anyone for whom serious sport is a consideration in choosing a university should always look at what Loughborough and Bath in England and Stirling in Scotland are doing both for that sport and academically. They are the universities (outside Oxbridge) which devote most resources, time and effort to sport.

Think Birmingham are the top American football squad talking to friends who did it.

I swam at uni and it was undoubtedly the Loughborough and Bath show, but I think the difference is a lot less marked in sports where there aren't pros competing for the top 2 or 3 unis. With American football this is probably more so as anyone good is going to try and take one of the 25-30 full ride football scholarships available at a Div I school.
Reply 14
Original post by Le Nombre
Think Birmingham are the top American football squad talking to friends who did it.

I swam at uni and it was undoubtedly the Loughborough and Bath show, but I think the difference is a lot less marked in sports where there aren't pros competing for the top 2 or 3 unis. With American football this is probably more so as anyone good is going to try and take one of the 25-30 full ride football scholarships available at a Div I school.

I doubt I will get a doubt D1 school. D2 maybe, but even then, its a lot of money!
Birmingham don't offer my course, nor do L'Boro
I doubt I will get a doubt D1 school. D2 maybe, but even then, its a lot of money!
Birmingham don't offer my course, nor do L'Boro

I'd guess for football it'd come down to things like 40 times, SPARC testing etc. for someone not playing HS football, what's your position (D/O/both)? There's no harm filling in prospective student athlete forms for a few D2 ones, though surely once you're on a full ride it's pretty cheap (flights, and at some schools I wouldn't be surprised if boosters might pay them...).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending