The Student Room Group

How did you...?

What are the methods that people have used to get around the 90% mark/really high scores in their AS modules, other than doing past papers? In short, how did you ace your papers? Is it down partially to luck, or are there techniques that permit every-exam consistency? Bio, chemistry, maths, and physics are what I'm interested in. Thanks:smile:
Reply 1
Doing loads of revision, past papers and enjoyment of the subject go a long way, but naturally being good at it also does help too :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Paralove
Doing loads of revision, past papers and enjoyment of the subject go a long way, but naturally being good at it also does help too :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does revision mean, like, an everyday consolidation of what I do, or something, or just stringent, solid revision in the run up to the exams? Also, when did revision start for you (summer exams)? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by DeuteriumPie
Does revision mean, like, an everyday consolidation of what I do, or something, or just stringent, solid revision in the run up to the exams? Also, when did revision start for you (summer exams)? :smile:

Well it depends on yourself. Revision for me is leading up to exams but it doesn't hurt to go over your notes at the end of a term or something. And it's important you understand everything rather than leaving it until you're close to exams.

I didn't start my revision until probably 6-7weeks before my AS's which was cutting it fine because there is just SO MUCH to revise (I did French, Maths, Geography and Environmental Studies, dropped the last one). And for the single exam I had in January I only started revision 2 weeks before and still got an A (go me!! Not recommended haha).

For my A2's I'll probably start in February after half term. It's good to do solid revision with appropriate breaks and to not get worked up or stressed or over worked because you won't revise effectively. Also, make sure there are absolutely NO distractions when doing so. That was a mistake I made last yes :/ I actually feel like I revised more for GCSE than AS for some reason!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Do every single past paper available, and understand the material. That's about it.
Reply 5
Definitely a combination of past papers and also regular revision
I really wouldn't leave it to a month before!

It's just not a good time then to start looking again at stuff you not looked at in months!! Just makes it much more stressful and feeling overwhelmed.!!

In order to consolidate and integrate what you learn, make it part of your daily study time. Yes I know you're probably yawning at this!!

This doesn't have to be hours.... just spending the odd 15 mins here and there practising in what form things are asked/ revising definitions so they are well and truly in long - term memory will save you a whole load of hassle closer exams.

Also, it will give you loads more confidence. If I was doing this I would spend 10mins doing an A2 (blank a2 pads are cheap in places like the works/the range - often sold as sketch pads) mind map on a different topic every night so building up your own library of these and LOOK at them regularly - it helps consolidation and it also helps making links with other areas of syllabus. Use colours and fun pictures - anything take it more engaging and memorable.

Work quickly on these+you'll be amazed how quickly it all comes to mind.

Every so often - try doing a new one for a topic, adding in more links as you think of them.

My most difficult topics I would have in mind map form on the kitchen wall - so I would spend a few minutes revising while waiting for food to cook!!

It really is a case of WORKING SMARTER than working harder!!

If you are unsure of mind mapping or if it's for you - any books by Tony Buzan on it would be helpful!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending