The Student Room Group

Eschatological and apocalyptic writings within Christianity

I'm in a bit of a predicament guys! Have just realised that my notes on the above are very poor, has anyone got any notes they would like to send me?! I know this is cheeky, but I'm absolutely stumped, and the internet provides too much information!

It's quite an obscure topic, which only a few exam boards cover, but I'm desperate!

Thanks xx
Reply 1
Same here, was poorly taught and for RS12 it hasnt been on since 2003, and hence will probably come up... If anyone could help then cheers :d

Also, u know the Eschatological Matt 23, Parable of the Sheep and the Goats. You could also use that as an example of a symbol in scripture. Umm, but what does the goat stand for? and the sheep?

Cheers

HUMEISCOOL: Your'e doing rs12 L.A.Death yep?
Reply 2
Yep, I'm doing life after death RS12.

Really hoping we get a nice question about concepts of a spiritual life, nature/value question and asessment of beliefs after death. But definately NOT religious symbols or eschatology etc!

Really have to do well in this paper!
Reply 3
Same, im gonna screw up politics so this has to be my third A :frown:

Um, yeah.... i hope so too!
Reply 4
eschatological writings:
ezekiel: we will be judged on whether we are good or bad on the time of judgement without consideration of our past actions.
luke 16: parable of lazarus: judgement: whether we will go to "the bosoms of abraham" or to Hades.
I conrinthians 15: Death is not the end, we are going to be ressurected in our celestial body in the divine world.
John's Gospel: Realised eschatology instead of future eschatology. The paraclete will convince/convict (elegxei depending on the translation). Eschatology is personalised as you will get eternal life if you believe in Jesus and God and if you love one another, Jesus' rule.

*It must be noted that Jewish faith has no background scriptures about ressurection. their belief in the OT is that the father lives on the son.

but main jewish eschatology according to Barret is futurue eschatlogy. They hope for general bodily ressurection of the dead. Coming of the messiah. Judgement, Kingdom of GOd.

Synoptic Gospels: Future Eschatology with Kingdom of God (not eeternal life unlike in John)
Some argued for inagurated escahtology as the parable of theseeds suggests. The seeds are already implanted and the eschatology is unfolding just like the seed is developing into a plant.

Matthew 25 (key text) this is the one with the sheps and the goats. The judgement is mainly on how they act on "their brothers" as it is jesus themselves(which intertwines with the topic on the value and nature of life as each and every one of us is of Jesus). Basically the sheeps are the one who helped Jesus and will go to the K of G while the goats are sided to the left and they will suffer eternal damnation.
Reply 5
Sorry I forgot to put in religious experience:
Theres of Avila: Something to look forward ater her mysticism experience.

Also you can put on a bit of philosophy of religion with this:

Augustine: God will judge us and will either give us eternal salvation or eternal damnation.

Iraneus: Eternal salvation for all as we are growing into the likeness of God when we die.
(then put a bit of Hick's materialist replica theory)

Aquinas: I think he said something about ressurection but not sure if it is spiritual or bodily.
Reply 6
Thankyou, that was really helpful!

Cheers! Good luck for tomorrow
Reply 7
Great... thanks :-)
Reply 8
What im worries is about now, U know RS09/11 - You answered two q's... in this only one, but i seem to have the same amount of detail? Anyone else feel like this?

Cheers...
Reply 9
I intend to try and find an example from another part of the course to illustrate every main point I make, thereby filling the time (I hope)! Haven't actually done a synoptic paper in timed conditions which is quite scary! What are you planning timing-wise?
Reply 10
i did that q and talked through matthew 24 and 25 and revelations 20 and 21.

Latest