The Student Room Group

My 18th birthday gift- what to ask for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thankyou, everyone.:biggrin:

Lucy, your party sounds like it's going to be absolutely fabulous!

groseille, thanks for your suggestions. Those Pedro Garcia shoes are so sexy! The Anna Sui dress is adorable; I could certainly see myself wearing that. As regards the Mulberry Rosemary bag, I am seriously considering it, but in an alternative colourway. I wouldn't order anything from net-a-porter though, on principle. It has a good selection but is too often a rip off, in my opinion.

-x-buttercup-x- I know you would! If I remember rightly I think I recall seeing the multitude of things you bought for 18th birthday! lol.

I can see everyone loves jewellery!, but unfortunately I really did mean what I said: I rarely, if ever wear any. I am such a loser, obviously. :p:

Watches are a nice idea but I think if I was going to spend 500 pounds on one, I'd ideally like to spend a bit more while I was at it. What I mean is, to me, such a watch would be very nice, but it wouldn't be likely to be a classic at that price. So I'd rather wait until I'm a bit older and richer to afford a classic one.

So yes, at the mo I'm leaning towards the Rosemary bag.

Anyone else here got a Mulberry bag?
Reply 21
my parents bought me a lovely white gold ring with a diamond (it wasn't that expensive so it's probably like a 0.48236863 carat diamond!) and gave me some money towards my sumer holiday this year.

i think jewelry's nice, it lasts forever as long as you don't lose it and if it's a classical piece it'll never go out of fashion
Reply 22
amie
I think they're quite good prices for what they are. Look at it this way; you will always need some good shoes, a decent bag and a black dress. Personally I'd prefer to spend a couple of hundred pounds on a high quality, well cut dress I'll be able to wear for years than one that doesn't fit as nice and won't last as long that cost £40 from Topshop or New Look or something.

The bags are overpriced, I agree. But the dresses and shoes are well priced I think. I'd pay that much for them (if I had it!).

I'd rather buy 125 bags from Primark for the same price than one of those bags. Infact I think my £4 bag from Primark is alot nicer and more practicle than any of those bags.
I can also safely say that I would never pay a couple of hundred pounds for a dress, a pair of shoes OR a bag. I buy these sorts of items every year and I've never had a problem with sizes. Atleast if some moron spills a drink over me I'm not going to be distraught that my dress, bag, shoes are ruined.
I've seen girls wearing dresses that I later found out they paid with a whole months pay package and they really didn't look any better or worse than the girls wearing £40 dresses from topshop/river island/dorothy perkins/debenhams.
In 30 years time I don't think I would look back and think "aww what a great bag". This is the reason that 18th birthdays usually leave you adorned with jewellry.
Reply 23
hey,
for part of my 18th i had a christain dior bag! (i love it)
Private number plate if u drive?
Tiffany jewellery :smile: (i love it again) lol.

the watch is a good idea, u can get nice styles for around 100-200 squids! :smile:
Happy birthday for the big day! :smile:
My mum bought me two cheap flights to paris and staying in a hotel for 4 nights, which i think worked out under £500, becuase it's really easy to get special rate prices these days. I had such a great time, and it was the perfect way to spend my 18th, and i personally preferred it to recieving jewellery, but thats because i love to travel!
Jen2327
Private number plate if u drive?

Omg! I forgot that... probably as i don't drive yet! My family (including cousins) have a random traddition of getting a private number plate on your 18th! I do like what electrofantastic said - that sounds really nice!

-x-
Reply 26
Peachy_Keen_Jennibean
I'd rather buy 125 bags from Primark for the same price than one of those bags. Infact I think my £4 bag from Primark is alot nicer and more practicle than any of those bags.
I can also safely say that I would never pay a couple of hundred pounds for a dress, a pair of shoes OR a bag. I buy these sorts of items every year and I've never had a problem with sizes. Atleast if some moron spills a drink over me I'm not going to be distraught that my dress, bag, shoes are ruined.
I've seen girls wearing dresses that I later found out they paid with a whole months pay package and they really didn't look any better or worse than the girls wearing £40 dresses from topshop/river island/dorothy perkins/debenhams.
In 30 years time I don't think I would look back and think "aww what a great bag". This is the reason that 18th birthdays usually leave you adorned with jewellry.

Different strokes for different folks :smile:

I've never actually found anything I've liked in Primark, I avoid it if possible but I have a pair of jeans that I bought years ago for £135 (not from Primark, obviously!) and I still wear them now. They look much better than anything I've ever bought off the high street and have lasted longer too. If I'm lucky enough to have a well-paid job in the future, I'll certainly be spending out on high quality designer basics, my personal opinion is that they're just cut better and will last longer.
play_the_world
In terms of budget, not over 500 pounds, and preferably a bit below that amount.

Woooaaah that's loads!

very generous parents/relative you have there.

happy birthday.

my thoughts would be, invest in a really phenomenal well made pair of boots.

http://www.kurtgeiger.com/invt/75668&bklist=icat,6,shop,gender,1,b1,wb10034?htxt=IWOUDNY32wdHUsk%2FLqxTPqPfKGEGPkPiLv4niqFECe6BE%2BvVFvUOQp%2FNPsJZaim10Mb0rzXPtM6s%0Al18MSOVExg%3D%3D

they may last you ten years.
my mum got shoes and boots made when she was 18 and she still has them (stylish size 8 shoes were hard to find back then!)

so yes, bespoke shoes or boots :smile:
Reply 29
DaintyDuck!
I definitely agree with amie here! I've never found anything in Primark but know that plenty others do! I'd rather spend quite a bit (if I have the money), on designer items because they do usually have better quality and last longer. It's tedious having to buy jeans over and over again because they fall apart, when having 3/4 very good quality ones last absolutely ages.

In saying this, I do have quite a few High Street clothes because I like to keep up to date. I think a good wardrobe is one which consists of quality staple items such as nice jeans, a quality handbag, a quality pair of shoes & then slotting in some high street t-shirts/tops and dresses or whatever which keep you up to date if you are concerned with following trends! :wink:

But, sometimes designer clothes aren't necessarily synonymous with quality. My dad has a lot of Lacoste shirts, (I know these aren't top notch designer) but they are the flimsiest material ever and look like they could rip any moment. Whereas his abundance of Matalan shirts :biggrin: seem to be strong and durable. So it's swings and roundabouts really!

Exactly! If there's something I know I'll use loads and loads, I'll spend out on it and get it from a high quality designer/brand that I know are of high quality. If it's a fashion piece then I'll get it cheaply from somewhere on the lower-ish end of the high street because it'll just go out of fashion and there's no point in wasting the money :smile:
god, some people...! just cos u wouldn't or dont have the money to spend on designer things, dont slate people that do! My Dad treats me to a lot of things as he's a businessman and earns well and likes to treat his only child, his little girl! I think good designer staples are a must in a wardrobe... I'm only 16 and I think it! Fashion stuff I get from the high street - oasis, topshop, river island etc, even primark, as its only going to last a season or so and isnt really worth spending loads unless its really worth it. I've got a thing for bags and love gucci, but theyr not everyones cup of tea. A nice Mulberry bag is fab.. I've got the Roxanne bag in brown and also in cream and it is just BEAUTIFUL! So worth the money. It'll last forever and look good forever! Also, a designer black dress... go for it! You can get some gorgeous ones, and they'll last for ages and are a total classic. As are Ralph Lauren cashmere jumpers, not very summery, but nice for cooler days, in any colour, you'd have money left and they're fantastic. Or a pair of fab glitzy shoes if you like that sort of thing.. a pair of Jimmy Choos, Louboutins or Ginas are a real special treat and you'll treasure them forever.. theyr beautiful works of art!!
You could ask for a nice watch.. Gucci watches are nice, as are D&G, both within that price. Alternatively, some smaller items.. a makeup bag filled with goodies.. a Clarins foundation, some guerlain bronzer, a few good mascaras, some dior blush, loads of lipgloss etc.. loads of use! Orsome smaller items and a meal out with friends or family.
Or what about a nice digi camera?
xx
Whos been slated :s
Peachy_Keen_Jennibean
OUCH! You and I obviously have very different ideas of what good value is. Do people actually pay those prices?

oh sorry, i wasn't clear - i meant good value as in you can wear them so much that it will be worth it because you won't need so many other things - an investment !
play_the_world
Thankyou, everyone.:biggrin:

Lucy, your party sounds like it's going to be absolutely fabulous!

groseille, thanks for your suggestions. Those Pedro Garcia shoes are so sexy! The Anna Sui dress is adorable; I could certainly see myself wearing that. As regards the Mulberry Rosemary bag, I am seriously considering it, but in an alternative colourway. I wouldn't order anything from net-a-porter though, on principle. It has a good selection but is too often a rip off, in my opinion.

-x-buttercup-x- I know you would! If I remember rightly I think I recall seeing the multitude of things you bought for 18th birthday! lol.

I can see everyone loves jewellery!, but unfortunately I really did mean what I said: I rarely, if ever wear any. I am such a loser, obviously. :p:

Watches are a nice idea but I think if I was going to spend 500 pounds on one, I'd ideally like to spend a bit more while I was at it. What I mean is, to me, such a watch would be very nice, but it wouldn't be likely to be a classic at that price. So I'd rather wait until I'm a bit older and richer to afford a classic one.

So yes, at the mo I'm leaning towards the Rosemary bag.

Anyone else here got a Mulberry bag?

playtheworld, i was thinking about a chocolate roxy but it's not really my style - i prefer tod's - the rosemary is more delicate but i didn't think to try it when i was in mulberry - i think the bayswater would also be quite nice thought i'm not sure if 18 is a bit young?

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/16124
im getting a 4 berth tent! Whooo! A funny present i know, but a good and useful investment for cheap hols while im a student!

Also having a trip to london with show tickets and a flight on the eye with my boyfriend :-) payed for by mum and dad.
Reply 35
Usually on my birthdays/Christmas/other present-giving occassions, I ask for a box of the Clinique 3-Step Daily Facial stuff, that's always nice to get. But I agree, it might be better to get something more long-lasting than that for a special birthday :smile:
Reply 36
DaintyDuck!
Oh, I use the 3 - step, but I don't know whether to try something else now. I've been using it for 2+ years, and my skin feels lovely and smooth, but isn't exactly how I would expect for the money! I think I just expect too much, but I told my friends they might be better off with Clinique and came off it straight the way saying it did next to nothing for them. Perhaps they didn't give it enough time, but I do feel I might swap soon! Does it improve your skin much amie?

It has done I think, I've been using it for about a year and a half now and it is better than it was before. I feel the same as you though, I felt like I needed something more for my cash (or rather my parent's cash at Christmas!). In March I started using the Clinique 7-Day Scrub and that was good, but I still wanted something more.

I've come to the conclusion that I put too many chemicals and things on my face, so I've stopped wearing foundation and I've started using Lush's Mask of Magnaminty - it's been fantastic! I'm much more confident about my skin now and it looks really good. Before it was quiet dull but now I've got a glow! I still use Clinique Clarifying Lotion if I feel I need it, and the Liquid Facial Scrub to get my make-up off before using the mask. I use the moisturiser occassionally too when my skin's feeling a bit dry, but that's not often anymore.

So my experience is, Lush's natural products can get fab results at a cheaper price! I got a big tub of the mask for only £5.50!
Reply 37
oooh those bags are gorgey! def a good investment cos ull get so many years use out of one.

u can get nice guess/d&g watches for about 100/200 squid (as some1 mentioned). my olds got me a d&g watch for my christmas which i LOVE and wear everyday. its good quality and i know itll last a long time. have attached a pic- its not everyone's cup of tea cos its a bit on the bling side but u could get a diff d&g/guess watch and then maybe something else (like the make up bag idea- loving that!) (oh and obv the d&g sign on the watch isnt back to front in real life...silly webcam thingy!)

oh and re lush prods i use one of their handcreams as a mosituriser (lol but i did one day cos i couldnt find a real facial moisturiser and it was really good!) dyu put the mask thing on everyday amiebefore u go out? (sorry if thts a silly quest!)
Reply 38
amie
Different strokes for different folks :smile:

I definitely agree with this statement, quite alot of the time I really just don't like so called "designer" items. I get bored easily and so it's beneficial that I don't waste my money on something that costs the world because in a years time, if that, I will be bored of it.
The only clothing I will spend alot of money on are my skiing/snowboarding clothes, but they serve a purpose to keep me warm and dry. Even so my two pairs of snowboarding trousers and two jackets don't even add up to the price of one of those £500 bags.

As for the person who said we all NEED a few good designer items. I don't think it's so much need as want. I've survived for 3 years longer than you without them and I don't feel I've missed out.
Reply 39
Liz150888
oh and re lush prods i use one of their handcreams as a mosituriser (lol but i did one day cos i couldnt find a real facial moisturiser and it was really good!) dyu put the mask thing on everyday amiebefore u go out? (sorry if thts a silly quest!)

Yeah I do, I don't know if I'm meant to because there aren't any instructions on the tub. But it's definitely working, so I can't be going too badly wrong! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest