The Student Room Group

UCAS 2014 re-application help needed please!

So I applied for university last year (starting september 2013) for biology, I was predicted 3 A's and ended up with BBC (I don't know how as I've never worked so hard). I really want to go to uni but I need to reapply this year, obviously I'm doing some retakes in june so hopefully my grades should improve. I was basically wondering how it works? As I'll be applying with these grades under my belt, I don't want to apply for courses that are out of my reach as they'll be the grades that the uni see's.. But if I get better grades then I still want a chance of going to a fairly good uni and to a course that I want to do (physiology or that kind of thing)..
Any help is greatly appreciated as my school haven't been that great. Thank you!
When applying, you should list the grades you achieved, and list a "pending" grade for any subject you are retaking as well. This shows the university you are retaking and these aren't your final grades. Ideally, you should have new predicted grades for these subjects in your reference. Universities may think going from a C to an A is unrealisitic.

Then, you should use your predicted grades like last year, so applying for 1-2 risky places, 2 places in line or slightly lower than your predicted grades and 1-2 safe places. Remember that some very top universities (like Imperial) aren't keen on people taking a whole year to retake, so check university websites to make sure they are happy with you taking A levels over three years. Be realistic with yourself and what you think you can achieve- there's not much point in having an offer you can't reach. Do you know what went wrong last time?

Also, remember your personal statement is not the place to dwell on what went wrong last year- this is something your referee should do if it's needed. You should be positive about the course and talk about what you want to do in the future as normal.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
When applying, you should list the grades you achieved, and list a "pending" grade for any subject you are retaking as well. This shows the university you are retaking and these aren't your final grades. Ideally, you should have new predicted grades for these subjects in your reference. Universities may think going from a C to an A is unrealisitic.

Then, you should use your predicted grades like last year, so applying for 1-2 risky places, 2 places in line or slightly lower than your predicted grades and 1-2 safe places. Remember that some very top universities (like Imperial) aren't keen on people taking a whole year to retake, so check university websites to make sure they are happy with you taking A levels over three years. Be realistic with yourself and what you think you can achieve- there's not much point in having an offer you can't reach. Do you know what went wrong last time?

Also, remember your personal statement is not the place to dwell on what went wrong last year- this is something your referee should do if it's needed. You should be positive about the course and talk about what you want to do in the future as normal.

Thank you!! So helpful :smile: Well I'm only retaking a few modules and not the whole subject so do I fill in module details and leave the ones I'm retaking as 'pending'? or the whole subject? (I presume the whole subject as that will change hopefully, but just to make sure). I have no idea what went wrong :frown: Unless working too hard is a thing...
In my personal statement do I mention tat I'm retaking and what I'm doing in my gap year etc? Or just do a personal statement like last year? (Sorry so many questions!)
Original post by lhar
Thank you!! So helpful :smile: Well I'm only retaking a few modules and not the whole subject so do I fill in module details and leave the ones I'm retaking as 'pending'? or the whole subject? (I presume the whole subject as that will change hopefully, but just to make sure). I have no idea what went wrong :frown: Unless working too hard is a thing...
In my personal statement do I mention tat I'm retaking and what I'm doing in my gap year etc? Or just do a personal statement like last year? (Sorry so many questions!)

Yes, list the whole subject as pending with your result expected in 2014.

You should definately write about what you're doing on your gap year, especially if you're doing volunteering or work experience relevant to your course. If you're only retaking some modules, you should have time for this. You could mention re-takes very breifly, but don't dwell on them.

I'm sorry your results weren't ask expected, and hopefully you can improve on them this year. Have you got any transcripts back to look at where you lost marks? It could be your exam technique is the issue, rather than not knowing the subject.

Quick Reply