The Student Room Group

did anyone else find university wasn't for them at the moment?

hiya, i recently dropped out of university and i couldn't be happier :smile: university life wasn't what i expected it to be, and perhaps it was my fault for not looking into university as much as i should have done. i quickly realised i was out of my depth and put my studies on hold for a year.

has anyone else come to this decision to drop out and to grow up or find other ways to prepare for university, or even if uni isnt right for you at all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thinking this right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lewislmao
hiya, i recently dropped out of university and i couldn't be happier :smile: university life wasn't what i expected it to be, and perhaps it was my fault for not looking into university as much as i should have done. i quickly realised i was out of my depth and put my studies on hold for a year.

has anyone else come to this decision to drop out and to grow up or find other ways to prepare for university, or even if uni isnt right for you at all?

I did too, I dropped out. Uni is not for me, at least not at the moment :frown:
Reply 3
I'm feeling like this right now. Am seriously considering dropping out and taking a gap year to sort my head out and think about what I want to do. I sort of know that if I do drop out and go back home, I will be so much happier as I'm really not enjoying my course at the moment. I definitely want to do a degree, I just don't think my mind is in the right place at the moment and it doesn't help being several hours away from home.
Reply 4
I dropped out and have since got a job and can honestly say I'm the happiest I've ever been. I hated Uni and was forced into it best depiction I made was to drop out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarahmay17
I dropped out and have since got a job and can honestly say I'm the happiest I've ever been. I hated Uni and was forced into it best depiction I made was to drop out

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many people actually choose to go large for 50p?

And also when a customer says 'ba da boom boom pshhht', is it true you're obliged to say 'i'm loving it' ?
Original post by Maid Marian
I did too, I dropped out. Uni is not for me, at least not at the moment :frown:
But why?
Original post by bigwhalegambler
How many people actually choose to go large for 50p?

And also when a customer says 'ba da boom boom pshhht', is it true you're obliged to say 'i'm loving it' ?

That not even the sound for mcdonalds!

Just coz someone dropped out doesnt meant they made a beeline for mcdonalds.
Original post by hannahchan
That not even the sound for mcdonalds!

Just coz someone dropped out doesnt meant they made a beeline for mcdonalds.

Sorry I forget, these days there are increasing roles at Subway for 'Sandwhich Artists'
Original post by sarahmay17

Posted from TSR Mobile

if I many ask, what did you go to study? and what are you doing now?

sometimes I find that it seems that everyone goes to university, its hard seeing alternatives to university
Original post by hiddenbutterfly
But why?

A fear of people doesn't make life great when you're at uni :no:
Plus a lack of motivation, among other things :redface:
Reply 11

don't you still have to pay fees?
Original post by yaboy
don't you still have to pay fees?

I'm not sure tbh. :s-smilie:
My place is deferred til next year, but I don't think I'll be going back.
Reply 13
I'm not sure tbh. :s-smilie:
My place is deferred til next year, but I don't think I'll be going back.

Have you not contacted student finance lol?

it's a pretty big thing considering it could put you in 9k debt for nothing
Original post by yaboy
Have you not contacted student finance lol?

it's a pretty big thing considering it could put you in 9k debt for nothing

Oh, no we didn't. I think because I hadn't officially registered at the uni yet with my card that they might not have taken the fees :erm:
I'm not sure tbh. Might ask my dad later :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Having finished uni now, I can say that socially it was the best decision I ever made as I was as timid as anything before going. I struggled to make friends etc for the first couple months, and it was one hell of a struggle to keep at it, but I did and I came out 3 years later a changed person, ready to enter the scary adult working world!

However, I would also say I now have a massive debt and with the job market as it is, I probably could now be in a much better position job-wise had I worked my way up from sixth form and not had the debt to go with it.

But it was worth all the money because it changed my life for the better. For those quitting already because you don't think its worth it in terms of job seeking, I totally understand and would actually advise people against going nowadays unless you want to be a teacher/doctor etc.

But if you're wanting to quit because you're struggling socially, you need to give it time because there's no point running back home and sitting in your room all night on the internet. It'll change your life too hopefully if you throw yourself in.
Reply 16
So glad I've found this thread. I've been in uni only a month and already I'm going to change my course from history. I wasn't struggling socially I enjoy being around the people I live with, it's the course I'm doing I'm struggling already and I'm definitely changing. Like you, during the summer I was considering not going as I really wasn't sure if I was ready yet. I haven't been pressured by my family at all but I think by society to go to university I have. I'm hopefully going to change to marketing (but without any business GCSE/A Level and not the biggest fan of maths) I'm worried I will be back in my current position of feeling down all of the time and hating my time here and that I've made the wrong decision coming here. I really wish I had taken more time into coming to university and really considered was it for me. Maybe if I had stayed at home worked & had a year off to think thoroughly, I would be in a different state of mind, because by Christmas I can't continue like this :frown:
Reply 17
I am hoping that twenty years down the road you wont regret dropping out of uni. For me I studied accounting. I told myself that I had to make it through. After school I decided to be assisting students with their assignments and do online tutoring at a fee since that made me much happier. I am hoping to go back to master in project management. Please take your time and think about it. All I told myself is that all this too shall come to pass and it did. Pss: I was not that good but somehow I made it through

so are you going to re-start next year?
I recently dropped out of uni too (I was a fresher) and it's good to know I'm not alone. From the moment I got there, I was a miserable wreck. I was so severely homesick and stressed out by my situation that I became physically ill and I stopped eating altogether. I have no idea how I had the energy to wake up every day. The course turned out to be nothing like I thought it would be, and I'd put a lot of research into uni. I was gutted. I was only there a short time but I was in denial for the most part, I'd come home after lectures and sit and watch tv or use my laptop or watch dvds rather than doing any work. I couldn't motivate myself and I felt like I was still burnt out after A-Levels, despite the summer break. I did nothing all summer (rather than getting a job) and I don't think that helped. I really need a break from education right now; just want to figure out what I honestly want to do with life :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest