The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

wesetters
I did a week with acorn (in Rheims) and learned loads. I think how much you learn depends a lot on your employer, and the hours you do. I worked in a pharmacy, and got on really well with my employer, other staff, and the other "stagiaire". I worked long hours (9-7, 2 hours for lunch (that's the maximum)). Some of my friends, however, worked for people who were constantly zonked out on god-only-knows-what, and worked short hours. It's best to consider the type of work you do carefully, and not go for something that sounds easy; a more challenging job means you have to communicate more, and your skills will improve.

Yeah, I went to Rheims... some of the jobs (like mine) were terrible, basically ten hours of manual labour.
There are 4 things in terms of e/c that look great:

1) Reading literature/academic books. This is a must - it'll do you so many favours.
2) Charity work - optional, but looks good. Adds to the whole well rounded, benign impression that you should be aiming to convey.
3) Work/travel/anything in the target country. Shows an interest and passion beyond the subject per se.
4) Almost no one has this, and it'd look stellar: Work experience at a university. Even if you are just stacking books in a library, you can network and get some good contacts. Professors are pretty friendly people in my experience and having some on your side would help a lot. I think admissions tutors would look very favourably on this.

Latest

Trending

Trending