The Student Room Group

Recommended A-Levels for PPE

Hello,
I am about to chose my A-Levels but I know I want to go and study PPE at Oxford after 6th Form. I get to chose 4 A-Levels and I have decided on History, Politics (because I enjoy these subjects greatly) and Maths (I enjoy this but felt I needed a subject like this because it looks good on a CV). I have one more choice left and I am stuck between English Language, Philosophy or Economics. On the Oxford website it says there is no requirement to have done Politics, Philosophy or Economics to study PPE. I would like to know would I be at a disadvantage (and if so, how much so) if I had not done Philosophy or Economics at A-Level?
Reply 1
You won't be disadvantaged but either philosophy or economics would be the best 4th choice as english language isn't very respected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by sarah09_
You won't be disadvantaged but either philosophy or economics would be the best 4th choice as english language isn't very respected

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: I was kind of swaying away from EL anyway but thanks for that!
Reply 3
Both philosophy and economics are equally beneficial, however I'm currently studying both and I would personally recommend economics.

I would advise against English language as it's not as 'reputable' as Literature and I can imagine reputation of subjects is something a university such as Oxford would care about.

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would personally recommend philosophy. I find it brilliant, so interesting. From a pragmatic point of view it's slightly more respected than eco, but it's also great at developing analytical and debating skills.
Go for economics. It is a fantastic fourth choice (if you decide to drop after AS) - the AS course is really good and, even though I'm applying to read History [post a level], has given me the most insight and knowledge about the news and current affairs and stuff etc. Economics A2 wasn't half bad though either (got an A* :biggrin:)
Philosophy more respected than economics? What on earth are you talking about?!!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paradoxicalme
I would personally recommend philosophy. I find it brilliant, so interesting. From a pragmatic point of view it's slightly more respected than eco, but it's also great at developing analytical and debating skills.

^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe philosophy is slightly more respected, from what I've seen. But basically they're the same.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I believe philosophy is slightly more respected, from what I've seen. But basically they're the same.

Really? , I'm led to believe economics holds more prestige than philosophy
Original post by sallyware
Really? , I'm led to believe economics holds more prestige than philosophy

You could argue that for a degree, but not for the A level.
You could argue that for a degree, but not for the A level.

Yes, I'd agree with that interpretation.
I know it's not quite Oxford, but Leeds are starting a PPE course this year and I spoke at length with the programme director of the course there, Professor Matthews Smith. (I feel it's worth mentioning that he only joined the staff at Leeds in 2012, before that he was an associate Professor in Philosophy at Yale.)

He actually mentioned that Philosophy was one of the last things he would be looking for, because in his experience people coming to read Philosophy at University who already had a high school education in the subject invariably needed to 'forget' what they had already learnt and start with a clean slate, because the majority of high school curriculum in philosophy were far too prescriptive and linear.

Obviously, this is only the opinion of 1 guy, but I thought I'd throw in an alternative viewpoint here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending