The Student Room Group

Oxbridge bias against students with Acne

lol, jokes
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
What a load of *******s. How did you even think of something so stupid?
Reply 2
That's a correlation, not a causal link. It may be that there is something oxbridge look for, e.g. good personal hygiene, that people with achne generally lack. I.e. it is more likely someone with acne has poor personal hygiene than that the interviewer is discriminating against them for having acne
Original post by Tarquin Digby
What does everyone else think of this appalling news? Students with mild to moderate acne are statistically 12 times less likely to receive an offer after interview. Yet more evidence of the deep prejudice that goes on in these old elite institutions.

Students who have been interviewed, who have acne, please share your experiences.

Where's the statistic from anyways?
Reply 4
ACNEPHOBIA is a very serious conviction, are you sure that they have this prejudice?!
Reply 5
Original post by Hummi_C
That's a correlation, not a causal link. It may be that there is something oxbridge look for, e.g. good personal hygiene, that people with achne generally lack. I.e. it is more likely someone with acne has poor personal hygiene than that the interviewer is discriminating against them for having acne

That's not necessarily true. Stress, hormones, etc. can all affect acne. I use wipes, cleaned my face with soap and astringents and still had acne. Turns out low levels of hormones knocks it out or down to little to nothing.

Though, good hygiene is good for you, so.
Reply 6
What does everyone else think of this appalling news? Students with mild to moderate acne are statistically 12 times less likely to receive an offer after interview. Yet more evidence of the deep prejudice that goes on in these old elite institutions.

Students who have been interviewed, who have acne, please share your experiences.

Hahah Never heard of this one before
Reply 7
Original post by Hummi_C

:O i think you're wrong that people with acne must have bad hygiene! Some people are unlucky with their skin types - some people are genetically prone, its not due to bad hygiene! Although I suppose maybe really awful acne is, but if its mild there's a lot of people who get that who have perfectly good hygiene!!
That's really sad if it's because they have acne. :frown:
Reply 9
Would be interested to know where this data came from. Scientific study or urban myth...?!
Reply 10
Original post by lenaspark
:O i think you're wrong that people with acne must have bad hygiene! Some people are unlucky with their skin types - some people are genetically prone, its not due to bad hygiene! Although I suppose maybe really awful acne is, but if its mild there's a lot of people who get that who have perfectly good hygiene!!

Original post by thechibi
That's not necessarily true. Stress, hormones, etc. can all affect acne. I use wipes, cleaned my face with soap and astringents and still had acne. Turns out low levels of hormones knocks it out or down to little to nothing.

Though, good hygiene is good for you, so.

I said more likely, gawd I have acne and pretty good hygiene, calm down! I said one in 12 people with acne are more likely to also have bad hygiene than to be discriminated against by oxbridge interviewers!

And pray tell where exactly did you find such statistics? People are going to see this as baseless accusations unless you can back it up with facts.
TELL ME ABOUT IT! My auntie's cousin's son's goldfish's cousin's daughter got rejected from Christ's College Cambridge, and it was DEFINITELY because of her acne. I mean, she PROVED to them that she could soooo get to A*A*A from CEE, she used all these complicated stasnistics and thingies, but then they rejected her, and I was all like 'They're so stupid Chantelle' and she was crying and saying she'd forgotten to smother herself in Freederm before her interview so it MUST BE THAT there is NO OTHER EXPLANATION AND OXBRIDGE ARE PREJUDICED BIGOTS ARGLE BARGLE FLOOMF.
Reply 13
hey man!!! i just got rid of my acne before my application and I got rejected! omg! if i knew this i totally wouldn't have used all that proactiv :frown:(((((

(A strong first post, OP!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Some great replies in this thread.

I always wondered if your aura affected your chances of an offer from Oxbridge. Things like appearance, clothes, general swagger, the tone of your voice. Less the content, more style.
Reply 15
I know this is meant to be a jokey thread, but generally people hype it up sooo much.

If you show you are a deep thinker, and a cut above the rest of interviewees, you will get the offer.

I know, because I got one. This involves reading and understanding books for undergrads before interviews, and maintaining a good knowledge of your subject, and some good interests you are passionate about (mine was watching opera, which they liked in the interview, even though it was irrelevant to the subject).
if anything it should be the other way around

students with acne more likely to receive and interview

since they have acne they suffer socially and so spend more time inside working > possibility of better grades
Reply 17
Haha well played, OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending