The Student Room Group

Personal statement

I'm applying to study Chemical Engineering.
I have nearly done my personal statement, but it feels to me that I'm too much just stating what Chemical Engineering is and why it's a good subject, not enough about me.
Does anyone have any good tips in general for writing a personal statement?
The admissions tutors already know what ChemEng is, what they want to know is why you're interested in studying it. Have a read of the link above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why this subject and not any other form of engineering?
What particular topics in your A level syllabus have you enjoyed enough to find out more about in your own time?
Have you been to any science fairs or public lectures etc that you found especially interesting? Why?
Reply 4
Thanks for the great responses everyone! It's just so hard to write about yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by phoebelouise96
The others have posted some good pointers. I'm in the same boat of writing my statement, but here's some things I found. :smile:

I think it depends a lot on the subject you want to study and the sort of uni you're applying to. If it's a very academic, Russell Group uni or similar, they mostly want to hear about academics, personal interests related to the subject and wider reading. I watched an Oxford personal statement writing guide video out of interest, and they advised 80% academics and 20% you on your statement, as opposed to the (apparently) normal 70% academics and 30% you.

Some good questions to ponder when writing your statement would be:

- Why do I want to study this subject?
- What evidence do I have of interest in this subject (wider reading, work experience, etc)?
- Have I shown proper evidence of this passion?
- Do I have an area of particular interest that I can include evidence of?

IMO, it's all about having evidence of a genuine passion that extends beyond your schoolwork that makes you stand out.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Thanks for that! When you say 'academics' I presume you mean direct subject related things i.e summer camps, work experience, reading into the subject?
Thanks for your awesome reply! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending