The Student Room Group

Bad punctuation in personal statement... how much will this effect my application?

Hi everyone!

I've applied to do BA Geography for 2014 and QMUL. I've just reviewed my personal statement and realised that I've missed out commas where they should be, even though my tutor helped me edit it and said it was all fine! I know I should have spent longer on it, but it's hard to edit your own work and I didn't get to spend a lot of time with my tutor because she kept missing the deadlines she said she'd have my personal statement back to me... so there was no choice but to do it quickly after two weeks of no contact. I had to send my application of quickly for certain reasons, in normal circumstances I would've spend more time on it.

That being said, I have the predicted grades and a really good reference from what I've seen. So I'm wondering if the admissions team will mind that much that the punctuation is weak in a couple of places. The statement still shows enthusiasm and commitment. Could I still be invited to interview? Do you think I should contact them with this concern about the personal statement and ask if I could send an essay that represents my ability? I feel it's likely to disadvantage me, but what do you all say?
Reply 1
The admissions officer will probably notice these punctuation 'errors', but with a subject such as Geography, and by that I mean not heavily dependent on perfect English, I don't think you have much to worry about.
Personal statements are more about giving insight to you as a person, they aren't just about intellect, grades, or references, they're also about what makes you tick, how you think, what you like doing from a non-academic perspective.
I don't believe you're at a disadvantage. My personal statement was pretty good too, but looking back over it now, I could have done a couple of things better, but because of how my personal statement was presented and the content about myself within, I actually managed to get onto a course which was above the grades I ended up with, so no, I don't think you should feel disadvantaged by a couple of grammatical or punctuation errors.
Original post by Patrick121294
Hi everyone!

I've applied to do BA Geography for 2014 and QMUL. I've just reviewed my personal statement and realised that I've missed out commas where they should be, even though my tutor helped me edit it and said it was all fine! I know I should have spent longer on it, but it's hard to edit your own work and I didn't get to spend a lot of time with my tutor because she kept missing the deadlines she said she'd have my personal statement back to me... so there was no choice but to do it quickly after two weeks of no contact. I had to send my application of quickly for certain reasons, in normal circumstances I would've spend more time on it.

That being said, I have the predicted grades and a really good reference from what I've seen. So I'm wondering if the admissions team will mind that much that the punctuation is weak in a couple of places. The statement still shows enthusiasm and commitment. Could I still be invited to interview? Do you think I should contact them with this concern about the personal statement and ask if I could send an essay that represents my ability? I feel it's likely to disadvantage me, but what do you all say?

I feel it's too late now to contact the university with your concerns, far better to leave it as it stands as it will probably be skimmed over quickly. Your personal statement is only one element of your application, and in terms of importance in my opinion falls behind your AS results , predicted results, GCSE's, your college reference, and interview if you get one. So relax and take from it a lesson to always check any important essays carefully in future. It's normal in these anxious times to think the worst about everything, but try to relax , I'm sure you will be fine if you have the important stuff like the necessary grades.
Original post by AlexJWise
The admissions officer will probably notice these punctuation 'errors', but with a subject such as Geography, and by that I mean not heavily dependent on perfect English, I don't think you have much to worry about.
Personal statements are more about giving insight to you as a person, they aren't just about intellect, grades, or references, they're also about what makes you tick, how you think, what you like doing from a non-academic perspective.
I don't believe you're at a disadvantage. My personal statement was pretty good too, but looking back over it now, I could have done a couple of things better, but because of how my personal statement was presented and the content about myself within, I actually managed to get onto a course which was above the grades I ended up with, so no, I don't think you should feel disadvantaged by a couple of grammatical or punctuation errors.

Forgot to add this;... to put your mistake into context, in the league table of 1000 embarrassing mistakes, this one is probably at the top with yours languishing about 999 http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/11/vatican-recalls-pope-francis-medals-after-spelling-jesus-as-lesus-4142591/.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending