The Student Room Group

school reference?

Hi,

Just wanted to know if a school can refuse to give you a reference?

Thanks!
Original post by flowerpower1410
Hi,

Just wanted to know if a school can refuse to give you a reference?

Thanks!

I can't imagine a scenario in which they would, if you are still registered as a student there. Of course, it may be so bland as to be unhelpful, but you'd still get one.
If you are asking for a definitive answer, I don't see any reason why they would be obliged to give you a reference. It is up to the school if they decide to give a reference or not.

If they refuse to provide you with a reference it would be best to apply as an Individual rather than through the school. If you apply as an Individual it will give you the chance to gain a reference from someone else; an employer, a teacher outside of school or maybe someone from a different school who can vouch for you.

As I understand, you cannot send the form away without a reference so if your school refuses apply as an individual and look for someone who will write a reference for you.

I would suggest that you do everything in your power to get your school to write a reference; it would save a lot of hassle and universities may ask questions as to why you did not apply through a school especially a school you are currently attending.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending