The Student Room Group

How the hell does ayone manage enough protein?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I never thought to try almond milk :biggrin: My kind is whey I think. Strawberry flavour. So if I blend it with almond milk and some strawberries it should be nice

Yeah, they taste really good! (to me at least) It's also really nice with a banana. But I'm also curious as to what your primary objective is, are you try to gain some muscle? Or just trying to achieve your recommended amount?

There's also coconut milk but it's pretty thick so I don't really like it as much.
You only need 50g of red meat/ chicken/ fish/ egg a day. So technically, half an egg would be your daily protein intake
I have to have 180g to build, and I think I normally manage it. Without protein supplements it would be a struggle though...
I'm 5"8 and 132lbs. I always thought I ate a lot but my boyfriend laughs at my portion sizes, so maybe I really don't.

Do you have any recommendations for how to make protein shakes taste alright? I tried to mix one into a yoghurt and it was gross. I don't drink milk or eat much dairy due to lactose intolerance, so ideally a way to avoid dairy altogether will be great..

There are plenty that taste good in milk, I'd imagine they taste good in water as well although I haven't tried. myprotein.com, chocolate mint flavour for example is actually enjoyable to drink.
Original post by johnh1983
Yeah, they taste really good! (to me at least) It's also really nice with a banana. But I'm also curious as to what your primary objective is, are you try to gain some muscle? Or just trying to achieve your recommended amount?

There's also coconut milk but it's pretty thick so I don't really like it as much.

Bit of both. I'm trying to gain a bit of muscle, because I'm lanky. I've recently lost weight and I'm now a size 6/8 and at 5"8 I look lanky in some areas and funny in others, so I think I'd look better with a bit more definition.

Also I want to hit my recommended intake because I feel lethargic a lot of the time and think it might help.
Reply 65
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
A quick google search later and I remember!

cheat!!
Do you have any recommendations for how to make protein shakes taste alright? I tried to mix one into a yoghurt and it was gross. I don't drink milk or eat much dairy due to lactose intolerance, so ideally a way to avoid dairy altogether will be great..

I think it is fairly non negotiable that your portions aren't very big if you are getting 20g of protein for your main meal.

Here are a few things I do to make shakes taste a bit better:

Water+whey+Peanut Butter+Frozen Banana
Water+Whey+Nutella+Frozen Banana
Water+Whey+Nutella+Oats
Less Water+Frozen Strawberries (any berries)+Frozen Banana(optional)+Whey

Feel free to replace water here with almond/soy/coconut milk and peanut butter with any other kind of nut butter.

Personally I have no issues chugging whey with water so I do that a lot of the time if I am feeling lazy/don't have a blender to hand (I keep a small container full of whey sometimes when I go to the library etc. 2 scoops whey+a banana is an ok snack in my books.)
Reply 67
Bit of both. I'm trying to gain a bit of muscle, because I'm lanky. I've recently lost weight and I'm now a size 6/8 and at 5"8 I look lanky in some areas and funny in others, so I think I'd look better with a bit more definition.

Also I want to hit my recommended intake because I feel lethargic a lot of the time and think it might help.

Good for you then! Try to keep the proteins on the leaner side of things and avoid a lot of processed sugars too!! Else you might gain the kinda weight you're not looking to gain. Exercising regularly seems to do wonders for your baseline in terms of energy as well. Good luck! :biggrin:
I do. How will one dinner hit it? I normally get around 20g from fish

Eat more fish, your portion must be tiny, 2 salmon fillets for 3 Quid will get you near 60g
Reply 69
I get like 30g a day. And I eat pretty healthy. I know I should eat more but I really struggle to see how people do it. I tried protein shakes but they're disgusting.
What are eating each day? Tell us that.
Reply 70
I get like 30g a day. And I eat pretty healthy. I know I should eat more but I really struggle to see how people do it. I tried protein shakes but they're disgusting.

I assume you eat meat?

Egg whites, 8-12 cups of milk (srs), 1-2 scoops protein, steak, chicken, peanut butter, turkey, fish (fill freezer with salmon or tuna or whatever you like), cheese, yogurt, lentils, beans etc...

It isn't difficult at all to get 100+ grams of protein a day, you could even get above 200 grams if you plan your meals and are strict with your diet.

I found them pretty bad too, but try having them with milk, and use a brand that tastes good (dymatize and optimum nutrition's chocolate flavor in particular taste quite decent).

They're good quality too, in my experience.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 72
I don't think the recommended eating portions are viable for students.
Reply 73
Go to Nandos and get yourself a whole chicken.

Or KFC get yourself a giant bucket.

A supermarket chicken is only about £3.
Reply 74
Protein shakes disgusting?

Is this real tea or a fanta sea?
Reply 75
Nuts, chicken, salmon and eggs is the way I get my protein :smile: I do like steak, but its expensive so I only ever get that when eating out.
Reply 76
Original post by Noor90
I assume you eat meat?

Egg whites, 8-12 cups of milk (srs), 1-2 scoops protein, steak, chicken, peanut butter, turkey, fish (fill freezer with salmon or tuna or whatever you like), cheese, yogurt, lentils, beans etc...

It isn't difficult at all to get 100+ grams of protein a day, you could even get above 200 grams if you plan your meals and are strict with your diet.
She probably doesn't eat meat or if she does, she eats some tiny baby sized portion which amounts to next to no protein. I searched some of her past posts and I think I saw her diet consists of vegetables and carbs pretty much.

'waaaaaaaah its so hard to get enough protein each day, i dont eat meat, fish, eggs or any food which has lots of protein in, waaaaaaaaah its so hard how does anyone manage it'
Reply 77
Try having a piece of meat a day. Drink milk and eat protein high snacks, e.g. nuts, peanut butter sandwiches (bread has about 3-4g of protein per slice)

30 grams a day is likely to leave you seriously deficient. Are you sure? I struggle to believe anyone could eat that little whilst eating enough to be alive, bearing in mind even foods not high in protein contain some. Even a slice of bread contains 4g. Seriously, what do you eat?

120 grams of meat/fish (e.g. a single can of tuna) would give you that much. I eat eggs, fish, meat, milk, cheese, beans, nuts etc. and it all adds up. and if I count I can hit 200g pretty easily, even on a low day where I wasn't worrying about what I eat I don't think I ever go below 140g. I mean yea I eat quite a lot, but if your stated goal is to gain muscle you need to eat a lot, 60g of protein will not cut it full stop.
Reply 79
Huh. I find it difficult to dip below 120g per day. I suppose I do eat a lot of meat, however.

Quick Reply

Latest