The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Will OU help my PGCE application

Hi, haven't posted in a while here but simply put it out there i got a third in my BSci Physics degree at QUB and am hoping to get into teaching. I've applied for my PGCE at QUB (can't really apply across the water as they require 2.2s minimum.) But my main question is that i'm thinking of doing a module in OU called Contemporary issues in science learning (http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/course/seh806.htm), would this course be of any help in my progress to becoming a teacher and if i decide to do a masters else where would the credits that OU give be transferable to that course?

Thanks
Reply 1
It depends on that individual university's credit transfer policy. The best thing to do might be to call or email to the university you want to apply for with you query. :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, the credit is secondary to me (I'm thinking of possibly doing the masters through OU), but would doing modules that are at a master level help with my application or even my interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by mickyfitz13
Thanks for the reply, the credit is secondary to me (I'm thinking of possibly doing the masters through OU), but would doing modules that are at a master level help with my application or even my interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It could do, it shows that you are interested in the subject area and have knowledge in the subject area. It also shows by completing this particular module that you have an interest in teaching the subject along with some foundation knowledge of teaching the subject. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks! What should I expect from doing a master with the open university? I mean what work is generally involved?
Reply 5
Original post by mickyfitz13
Thanks! What should I expect from doing a master with the open university? I mean what work is generally involved?

I cannot tell you specifically myself as I am an undergraduate, but it should be quite similar to other universities as a lot of masters are distance learning these days. What I would suggest doing if you have the time is to find out what pathway you would take and the modules in the pathway, then finding your regional center (call them first to make sure they have this facility) and usually they have a 'library' of all the study resources by module code. You could find those module materials and see more closely what is involved, the type of work you have to complete, the type of written work they expect etc. Most of the library's have computers by them so you can bring up the OU site and use it to look at modules and materials there.

I did it for three of my undergraduate modules and it helped me choose because I saw what I would enjoy more and get the most out of and thought what would benefit me the most for my pathway. :smile:
Reply 6
I've looked at the different pathways for it, masters in science or professional science amongst others. They also have a trail course page to see what the course content would be like but I will probably check out the centre and enquire about their courses (i've sent an email as well to see if the module would be of any help to me). My main question how exactly is your progress marked (I come from a mainly assignment and exam based structure with my degree), what should i expect from OU?
Reply 7
Looking at the Contemporary Issues in Science Learning module it has three written assignments and an EMA (End of Module Assessment).

The assignments (TMA - tutor marked assignment) can hold different weightings so for a module I am studying now with six assignments the first one has a weighting of 7% to my overall score and my last one 15%. The assignments can be in varying lengths and have essay style questions or other types of questions (looking at and describing different data sets etc.). The assignments will focus on particular areas (subjects/themes) of the module.

The EMA will bring in all different aspects of the module. The EMA is not marked by your tutor like other assignments are and some (it happened in my last module) are marked b two different tutors to make sure that marking is fair and in line with the OU's guidance etc.

On the TMA's you receive a score breakdown with an overall comment by you tutors summing up improvements etc. and in you submission you will get back detailed comments on certain points what needs to be improved and tutors do note where you have made good points and the strengths of assignments.

Your TMA and EMA is submitted through an online system.

On some modules you will have an exam instead of an EMA. The EMA makes up 50% of your overall grade. This diagram should make it more clear (click to enlarge or save to your pc and enlarge):

Open University Assessment Diagram.png

This is for one of my current modules so it will look a bit different for the science module. Instead of Exam you will have your EMA making up part of your grade. The iCMA is a computer based test which you will not have.

The assignment scores will go towards an OCAS (overall continuous assessment score) which in turn will make up 50% of the overall grade and the OES (Examinable Component), your EMA, will also make up 50% of your overall grade.

I have attached what the tutor feedback will look like as well for you reference (you will receive it in a similar format, but I have converted it to an image file to make it easier to see and because I removed anything identifying):

TMA feedback.png

I hope that helps you a bit, anything else let me know! :smile:

NOTE: If anyone spots anything that I have attached to this document that is not allowed to be published OU rules let me know and I will take it down (I think I'm ok!). :smile:
Reply 8
Thank for the reply! You've answered most of what I was curious about the course, just one more question...in regards to TMAs, can you get you tutor to look over them before you submit or is it just once chance to try? As for the EMA is it an internal exam or is it done over the computer too?

Thanks again!
Reply 9
The tutor can only give you guidance in regards to assignments and cannot look over them before submission, but you should have fairly regular tutorials (I have 5 tutorials spread across 8 months for on of modules and on top of that we have online tutorials using a sort of skype like program through the OU) which you can query anything with your tutor and you tutor might go through materials or get you to do activities to reinforce knowledge. Your feedback will also contain notes on what could be improved on for the next assignment and you can always call or email your tutor for specific questions and they can give you guidance.

You complete the assignments, including the EMA, in word processing software (MS word, Open Office...) as you will have an assignment booklet with all the questions and essay questions. You then submit it online going through the OU online system, I'll attach another image to clarify how they are submitted:

Untitled.png

Here is an image of how an assignment booklet is typically laid out (the guidance for assignments can be long or short, this is a shorter one in terms of guidance):

Untitled.png

The EMA is laid out in exactly the same way as a normal assignment it is just usually longer, requires you to use everything you have learnt from the materials and is marked by another tutor whereas your assignments are marked by your tutor.

NOTE: If anyone spots anything that I have attached and I am not allowed to let me know and I will remove it, but I think it is fine :smile:
Reply 10
Wow! It's quite open on your own interpretation on how to answer the questions from the looks of it. I like the looks of the setup...still apprehensive, especially when i've got people telling me to wait for a year (if i fail to get into PGCE) and do it then, i further researched the module and in doing it will give me a PGC in Professional Studies in Education which is the first step towards a Masters in Education or Masters in Science...so that sounds pretty good!

Anyways thanks for all your help!!! ^_^
Reply 11
The assignment that I posted is from my current philosophy module, some have multiple questions, very specific questions, data analysis etc. depending on the module. I generally would ignore what other people say and just work out what is best for you, after all you know what you want and where you want to be in the future :smile:. If there is anything else, just ask! :bigsmile:

Quick Reply

Latest