The Student Room Group

OPCW wins Nobel Peace Prize

The standard of Nobel Peace Prize winners is, well, disputable. The OPCW has largely been symbolic for most of it's existence and has only been necessary quite recently, in Syria, where the success of its actions have yet to be proven.

I personally think Malala should have won, what about you?
Reply 1
Ultimately Malala's contributions towards the world on an international level were not as great as the OPCW. Granted, I would have rather had Malala win in order to inspire more the younger generation to be more responsible in a world slowly turning towards aparthy, but the bravery of several of the OPCW agents should be commended. They also ensured neutrality, being careful not to pinpoint which side used the chemical weapons.
Original post by TheHolubowskyj
The standard of Nobel Peace Prize winners is, well, disputable. The OPCW has largely been symbolic for most of it's existence and has only been necessary quite recently, in Syria, where the success of its actions have yet to be proven.

It should've been given to someone like Snowden who actually deserved it.
Reply 3

the NPP has been a farcial award for many years now, Obama has won it, even Yasser Arafat. the best advice is to scrap it and keep nobel awards simply for demonstratable scientific and literary acheivment

I think at this point the Nobel Peace Prize is a bit of a farce, I don't heed it much or give it any credence.
Reply 5
Well if Obama has won it then Snowden should.
Original post by Kiss
Well if Obama has won it then Snowden should.

Snowden deserves stringing up. But I'd agree that its a bit of a farce that Obama and the EU receive it.

Getting rid of chemical weapons is a noble cause. Good on them.
Reply 7
Original post by MatureStudent36
Snowden deserves stringing up. But I'd agree that its a bit of a farce that Obama and the EU receive it.

Getting rid of chemical weapons is a noble cause. Good on them.

How? He exposed the corrupt misdoings of the US at the risk of his life.
Original post by Kiss
How? He exposed the corrupt misdoings of the US at the risk of his life.

He exposed an intelligence capability that was operating legally and ran off like a coward.
Reply 9
Original post by MatureStudent36
He exposed an intelligence capability that was operating legally and ran off like a coward.

Think you're a little confused there.
Original post by Kiss
Think you're a little confused there.

No I'm not. Care to quote which law they broke.

Obama's just in damage control mode at the moment.
Reply 11
Stalin was a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize...
Now we just need Israel to hand over it's several hundred nukes.They boast they could destroy the world hundred times over.
Original post by ReviseHistory
Now we just need Israel to hand over it's several hundred nukes.They boast they could destroy the world hundred times over.

The Israelis have never made such a claim. In fact the Israelis have never admitted to have nuclear weapons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending