The Student Room Group

Are People Who Took Foundation Maths Able To Take Alevel?

hey, so basically i myself am taking A level maths i did higher tier at GCSE and basically this girl im friends with is actually getting on my nuts. They are currently studying Childcare and are wanting to change to chemistry, biology and maths instead. I have told her lots of time that in the requirements u need atleast a B in the higher tier and she at GCSE got a C in the foundation tier. I have also told her that the foundation paper and higher paper at GCSE is the opposite and foundation requires wayyyyyy less effort. Anyways this is getting on my nerves because now she is bragging oh im going to be in ur maths etc :angry: Also i must admit im abit struggling at A level but her saying that a foundation person (her) can do better is taking the mic.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Stop being ignorant. I took foundation Maths twice and got a D, then I took higher and got a B. Why does it bother you that she wants to develop her mathematical skills and enter a science route? Do you think she isn't capable because of some mere GCSEs? (which aren't the best predictor of a-level success).

I personally think your a bit full of yourself based on your GCSEs. Yes foundation is easier but I made a transition from foundation to higher and it only required me learning a few more topics. There is always room for improvement, people develop at different rates. I think you need to stop being so blind and arrogant and realise that she is ready to change.

@ the last line, you're a joke mate. I got a B in GCSE yet got 4As at AS-level in Maths, Fmaths, Econ and History, whilst somebody who got 8A* at GCSE got ABBB.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Robbie242
Stop being ignorant. I took foundation Maths twice and got a D, then I took higher and got a B. Why does it bother you that she wants to develop her mathematical skills and enter a science route? Do you think she isn't capable because of some mere GCSEs? (which aren't the best predictor of a-level success).

I personally think your a bit full of yourself based on your GCSEs. Yes foundation is easier but I made a transition from foundation to higher and it only required me learning a few more topics. There is always room for improvement, people develop at different rates. I think you need to stop being so blind and arrogant and realise that she is ready to change.

@ the last line, you're a joke mate. I got a B in GCSE yet got 4As at AS-level in Maths, Fmaths, Econ and History, whilst somebody who got 8A* at GCSE got ABBB.

Well said! Couldn't have said better myself!

Latest