The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3300
Original post by kingquang
Because slim ties is a fashion thing, and will be out of fashion in no time. Respective tie manufacturers don't make slim (non-knitted) ties.

Pfft, I don't think they are a fashion thing - they're a style thing.

edit: just to elaborate why, well the world is full of different sized people and normal sized ties don't always look 'right' on people with smaller frames. Proportion is key and it's about time the 'fashion industry' acknowledged this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Luxray

edit: just to elaborate why, well the world is full of different sized people and normal sized ties don't always look 'right' on people with smaller frames. Proportion is key and it's about time the 'fashion industry' acknowledged this.

So why wouldn't any good tie manufacturers make ties with a width below 3''? You only see fashion brands make skinny ties. They became very popular when Mad Men and GQ featured skinny ties in their outfits, and GQ is known to be a fashion forward magazine (just look at the skinny ties, lapels, small collars, short jackets, skin-tight jeans and shirts)

It's true that the body size should affect the width of the tie, but the adjustment is small for most men. I have a pretty skinny frame, but I would never go below 3'' for normal ties. You also don't see large men with 4'' ties.
Reply 3302
Original post by kingquang
So why wouldn't any good tie manufacturers make ties with a width below 3''? You only see fashion brands make skinny ties. They became very popular when Mad Men and GQ featured skinny ties in their outfits, and GQ is known to be a fashion forward magazine (just look at the skinny ties, lapels, small collars, short jackets, skin-tight jeans and shirts)

It's true that the body size should affect the width of the tie, but the adjustment is small for most men. I have a pretty skinny frame, but I would never go below 3'' for normal ties. You also don't see large men with 4'' ties.

Why wouldnt they? Hmmm well maybe they're out of touch with the their consumer.
I am advocating slim ties, not skinny.

Btw you don't see large men go for skinny ties either.
Reply 3303
Need a new pair of shoes, was thinking of getting something more smarter than converses, what do people think about these?

1) 41svvsUaYNL._SX395_.jpg

2) 8905586933790.jpg

3) 41A1Yvdc88L._SX395_.jpg

If I do buy any of these, I'd always put my jeans over the boots.
Reply 3304
Tempted to get a burgundy suit on sale (less than £80) but I guess it's false economy since I couldnt really wear it often to work.
Haven't really seen the appeal of the floral print hype, and normally I wouldn't spend more than a tenner on a t-shirt, but I saw this and just could not resist!

Reply 3306
Original post by Tom Wigan
Haven't really seen the appeal of the floral print hype, and normally I wouldn't spend more than a tenner on a t-shirt, but I saw this and just could not resist!

Love this!!
Opinions on Blue Camel Boots?
Original post by Tom Wigan

I don't like many of the floral t shirts out there either, but I have to sir you have made a very good choice
I can't remember if someone has posted this before but,

What do people think of this shirt?

277906_main.jpg
Reply 3310
Original post by Tony Stark

277906_main.jpg

ugly.
Original post by Luxray

It would have to be really niche and have an almost monopoly like status on ties. It would be hard competing with names like Charvet. Since as I'm sure you know Tie Rack (tragically) went out of business last year and they made very good quality ties at very good prices. Good range of styles too.

277906_main.jpg

Ewww.
The Y3s have arrived.

10d5xxf.jpg
Reply 3314
20% off at END for those that use SPRING14 at the check out.
You guys used Secretsales before?
Original post by chelseafan
The Y3s have arrived.

10d5xxf.jpg

Are those running shoes??
Original post by chelseafan
You guys used Secretsales before?

Bought some cheap Diesel underwear from them once, haven't used them since.
They bombard you with emails though, which is why I just ignore the site now.

Some decent stuff comes up every now and then.
Btw guys I don't know if anyone's seen the clearance section of Flannels, but they do have some huge discounts on great clothes too.

Finding good sizes is quite difficult though.

http://www.flannels.com/pages/mensclearancehome

277906_main.jpg

Yeah it was posted.

Some kind of high street copy of a Burberry shirt.
I like it.

Latest