The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marshall Taylor
Hi guys, starting sixth form in a new school. What bag should I buy? And what clothes do people wear at sixth form (relatively inexpensive please)? I don't really have any fashion sense, especially since my previous school wore uniform. Thanks!

I was late to the fashion game too and like you, my fashion sense didn't take off till the end of Sixth Form really. Most people often go for a smart casual look, but I'll give you a list from top to bottom to get you started:
Shirts: Oxford Button Down Shirts (OBDS) (try and get patterned/textile shirts if you can, if not then just stick with plain shirts). Shops: H&M, ASOS, Topman (this was a last resort for me on one occasion so not top of my agenda)Jumpers and Cardigans: Mixture of V-Neck and Crew-Neck cashmere/wool knitted jumpers and cardigans, try and have more of the latter though. Shops: Uniqlo, Topman, ASOS

Bag: Messenger bag (preferably leather, good for your exercise and text books). Barrel bags, Duffels, and Holdalls (good if you're carrying a lot of things, especially if you're a gym freak like myself, again go for leather or faux if you can't get the real thing :tongue:). Shops: H&M, River Island, ASOS (saves you doing a lot of running around haha)

Shoewear: Brogues, Loafers. Shops: Clarks, Office (look for Ask the Missus, Office-branded ones aren't bad either)

Shirts: Oxford Button Down Shirts (OBDS) (try and get patterned/textile shirts if you can, if not then just stick with plain white shirts). Shops: H&M, ASOS, Topman (this was a last resort for me on one occasion)

Legwear: Chinos (the way forward), Smart trousers (if you want to play it safe and keep you in your new teachers' good books). Shops: H&M, ASOS

Jumpers and Cardigans: Mixture of V-Neck and Crew-Neck cashmere/wool knitted jumpers and cardigans (cotton isn't really reliable), try and have more of the latter though. Shops: Uniqlo, Topman, ASOS

Fit: Slim/Skinny fit for all your shirts, jumpers and cardigans

If all fails then this website should definitely give you a hand: http://www.fashionbeans.com/category/mens-fashion-basics/

Try to get all of the above in black, brown, grey or navy, just to show you're not becoming too casual with what you wear and that you're serious, they're the most versatile colours too. Hope all this has helped and all the best :smile:
Original post by YoungerHamii2014
I was late to the fashion game too and like you, my fashion sense didn't take off till the end of Sixth Form really. Most people often go for a smart casual look, but I'll give you a list from top to bottom to get you started:
Shirts: Oxford Button Down Shirts (OBDS) (try and get patterned/textile shirts if you can, if not then just stick with plain shirts). Shops: H&M, ASOS, Topman (this was a last resort for me on one occasion so not top of my agenda)Jumpers and Cardigans: Mixture of V-Neck and Crew-Neck cashmere/wool knitted jumpers and cardigans, try and have more of the latter though. Shops: Uniqlo, Topman, ASOS

Bag: Messenger bag (preferably leather, good for your exercise and text books). Barrel bags, Duffels, and Holdalls (good if you're carrying a lot of things, especially if you're a gym freak like myself, again go for leather or faux if you can't get the real thing :tongue:). Shops: H&M, River Island, ASOS (saves you doing a lot of running around haha)

Shoewear: Brogues, Loafers. Shops: Clarks, Office (look for Ask the Missus, Office-branded ones aren't bad either)

Shirts: Oxford Button Down Shirts (OBDS) (try and get patterned/textile shirts if you can, if not then just stick with plain white shirts). Shops: H&M, ASOS, Topman (this was a last resort for me on one occasion)

Legwear: Chinos (the way forward), Smart trousers (if you want to play it safe and keep you in your new teachers' good books). Shops: H&M, ASOS

Jumpers and Cardigans: Mixture of V-Neck and Crew-Neck cashmere/wool knitted jumpers and cardigans (cotton isn't really reliable), try and have more of the latter though. Shops: Uniqlo, Topman, ASOS

If all fails then this website should definitely give you a hand: http://www.fashionbeans.com/category/mens-fashion-basics/

Try to get all of the above in black, brown, grey or navy, just to show you're not becoming too casual with what you wear and that you're serious, they're the most versatile colours too. Hope all this has helped and all the best :smile:

Thank you so much!!! I'll get ordering :smile:
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Thank you so much!!! I'll get ordering :smile:

You're welcome :wink:, couldn't add a GIF so thought the pic would be the next best thing. Wish I started to work on my style the same time as you but if I can teach the young ones then why not!
Anyone here in any social media/whatsapp groups specifically for streetwear (palace/ supreme etc)??
Anyone know where I can get underwear like this from. They seem a little loser than trunks. Thanks*image.jpeg
Hey guys, I need help lol. Since I am a fashion novice and don't wanna get caught by the fashion police on my friend's wedding day, what should I wear for a cocktail attire dress code? I googled it already but I went here just to be sure lool

Do you guys have any tips on where to buy? I'm quite saving up and would not want to splash so much money, but are high street brands such as topman, river island a good choice? Thanks!
Not sure how familiar people are with Maison Scotch, but I have been pleased with all of the womenswear items I have purchased (jeans, knitwear, blouses). It seems like a nice alternative to Topman/River Island. I would say the sale prices are the most that I would be willing to pay for the items.
https://www.scotch-soda.com/gb/en/sale/men
Living five minutes from Next is proving hazardous to my wallet:

Original post by YoungerHamii2014

Emphatically disagree with this, per my post of several months ago:

In the interest of debunking a common misconception; slim-fit caters for those classically 'mesomorphic' males whose shoulder-to-waist ratio is such that a regular fit of corresponding size would result in excess swathes of fabric at the midsection, not those who are merely 'skinnier' overall.

I take a thirty-inch waist—arguably tending towards "skinny as ****" myself—yet an off-the-shelf XS Regular from Next conforms far better to my physique than any Slim-Fit S.

In summation: slim-fit is for the broad-shouldered, not simply a 'more tailored' alternative to downsizing.
(edited 7 years ago)
agree or disagree ?

Reply 5309
Original post by democracyforum
agree or disagree ?

Agree but would swap out the grey oxford shirt for another white one and swap the navy bomber for a black leather biker jacket.
the new bape stuff is crazy dope

(edited 7 years ago)
Can I wear the desert shoes(shared in link) casually?

I was wondering whether the boots could be worn with jeans and t-shirts , maybe with bomber jackets and with hoodies too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5312
Original post by Dhanny
Can I wear the desert shoes(shared in link) casually?

I was wondering whether the boots could be worn with jeans and t-shirts , maybe with bomber jackets and with hoodies too.

Definitely. Easiest way will be to as you said, pair them with jeans/chinos and then an oxford shirt or well cut white t-shirt with either a jacket or a bomber.

I'd steer away from hoodies simply because you're pairing a smart casual desert boot with something that's the epitome of casual. However if you were to go for a sweatshirt (plain without large branding) in place of a hoodie it'll look fine.
Original post by xEnvy
Definitely. Easiest way will be to as you said, pair them with jeans/chinos and then an oxford shirt or well cut white t-shirt with either a jacket or a bomber.

I'd steer away from hoodies simply because you're pairing a smart casual desert boot with something that's the epitome of casual. However if you were to go for a sweatshirt (plain without large branding) in place of a hoodie it'll look fine.

Thanks for the help 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jus copped some supreme x timberland shoe what y'all doin
66680944 zee757

Anyone know where I can get underwear like this from. They seem a little loser than trunks.
image.jpeg

please see here http://ali.pub/d56jb
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stillridin
the new bape stuff is crazy dope

Looks like an absolute joke fella. Bape is dead
Original post by Welkom

I have to agree. That stuff does not look amazing and justifiable to the ridiculous prices they charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Welkom

Bape ain't dead
The second hoodie and the grey t shirt are ****in flames
Original post by stillridin
Bape ain't dead
The second hoodie and the grey t shirt are ****in flames

Bape is pre-teens gear boi let it go. **** died when they made the minion garbage

Latest