The Student Room Group

3 A-levels in one year - impossible?

I'm considering doing Economics, Spanish (with no prior knowledge), and Religious Studies next June. I'll be self-studying them.

Would it be impossible for me to get good grades (A*AA at minimum)? How much time and effort would be involved?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Swirll
Would it be impossible for me to get good grades (A*AA at minimum)?

no.

Original post by Swirll
How much time and effort would be involved?

a lot.
Is it possible? Yes
How much time involved? Approximately 978 hours.
How much effort involved? 10/10
Reply 3
Three entire A-Levels in one year? Would be pretty hard for you to do it in such a short space of time... Why don't you do it over two years like people normally do? People who do 4 A2's struggle enough, let alone doing three entire A-Levels.

It is possible but it will almost definitely effect your grades. And you'll have no life other than your exams. It can be pretty hard to keep up with the workload of three A2's so.
Reply 4
Original post by Swirll
I'm considering doing Economics, Spanish (with no prior knowledge), and Religious Studies next June. I'll be self-studying them.

Would it be impossible for me to get good grades (A*AA at minimum)? How much time and effort would be involved?

In retrospective, if January module wasn't scraped, it would be easier, you you could do all your AS exams in January and A2 in the summer, plus possibly resitting one or two modules that you didn't perform so well on. However with the system now you will have 12 exams in June, with one shot at it, this makes it even harder but it all depends on whether you have the motivation to study 24/7 from now and up to June.
Possible, but it'll take an incredible amount of effort and motivation to get the grades you're looking for.
Good luck, you'll need it :smile:
Will be a hard graft. Especially seeing as you're doing all essay-based subjects.

No reason why you can't pull it off, though.

Go for it - you're not gonna look back on your life and remember that time you didn't self-study 3 A-levels in one year and get A*AA
Original post by Swirll

I praise your ambitious spirit!
I am self studying all my subjects so I can reliably tell you (to be honest) that what you are asking for is near to impossible. Self-studying generally takes twice as much time as does tutor-supported study. So...you have a challenge for yourself...
But best of the luck:smile:...
Original post by Swirll

As the great Justin Bieber said, Never Say Never!
I did 4 A-Levels in under a year.

It does require commitment and hard work, but it's not 24/7 commitment - it's less work and hours then school. I found an hour or two a day sufficient and had plenty of days off (even whole weeks off).

I found what take a week of lessons to cover in school could comfortably be covered in under a hour with self study. Also with comfort and concentration higher; and (with no distractions, awful teachers and misbehaving miscreants, like you have in a class room) I found I learned far easier and retained the information far longer than at school.

Got fantastic results and an unconditional offer from uni.
So all good :smile:
Reply 11
I'm self-studying two full A-Levels in a year: Politics and Religious Studies. The workload is pretty intense but I've been dedicating on average 20 hours per week to study as well as lots of reading around and revision of the topics. This I've achieved whilst working full time and still managing to maintain an active social life. However, 3 full A-Levels will be more difficult and so you may have to make sacrifices with regards to friends/family, but what you're trying is achievable if you're dedicated enough. The only major issue I can see is your intention to study Spanish from scratch. To study the language to an advanced level you'd need a foundation that has been built up over years of previous study (or an intense period of a few months spent in Spain or Latin America), otherwise studying it independently may prove very difficult. Unless it's directly relevant to your course I'd rethink the Spanish.
I think the Spanish one could be the most problematic. To go from nothing to an A/A* is a big ask for anyone; let alone within a year. -It may be asking too much.

Also how much do you know about self studying. I did French GCSE and it's assessment involved exams, coursework and a speaking test. I presume a Spanish A-Level would have similar assessment. As a self-learned you would sit your exams as an external candidate: many schools will not mark coursework, do speaking tests etc. with external candidates; they only accept them for exams. -so this is something you would need to check with your chosen exam centre/college/school.
If you do need any help with the in's and outs of arranging exams or anything, feel free to message me. I found the whole thing confusing, but I've been there and done it, and now helped my brother through it (so worn the t-shirt!).

Also, why the deadline? I'm presuming it's a rush to get into uni and limit how many years "behind" you are.
I felt the exact same way; hence me pushing all mine into under 12 months. If i did it again, I wouldn't have put such pressure on myself. If you are really serious about doing Spanish, stretch it out a bit and give yourself the best chance. Even just to 18 months is better than nothing.
I enjoyed my 12 of months study, but you're looking at different sorts of subjects (mine were very theory based) and not everyone learns the same way and as quickly as I do. If you're not a fast learner or don't learn easily from reading subject guides/revision guides, give yourself a bit more time time to absorb the info and to actually enjoy your study.
Uni will still be there a year later.
And it's not like there's any jobs the other side of uni...
So concentrate on enjoying and making the most out of your studies while you've got the chance.
Reply 13
Original post by Swirll

Impossible to say as you give no indication of your aptitude, experience of self study or support available but .....
It's mid October and you are still only thinking about it
You want to achieve the kind of results only achieved by a minority of candidates over 2 years with teacher support
You want at least an A in a language you have no prior knowledge of.

Impossible NO likely NOT VERY

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
I did a level psychology in 1 year while working full time and I did find it quite mentally draining if I'm honest but then again I was aiming for the highest marks in it which I did get. I could probably have easily got a B in it with much less effort I think.

I think 3 is difficult but possible if your not working, dedicated and driven.
There were times when I was incredibly frustrated and almost in tears due to bring so stressed with work and study but looking back I'm glad I did it all on my own too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
To me this sounds impossible. How can you study an A-level in Spanish without prior knowledge in one year? You would need to be incredibly smart and well disciplined.
Reply 16
Original post by Setsuna
In retrospective, if January module wasn't scraped, it would be easier, you you could do all your AS exams in January and A2 in the summer, plus possibly resitting one or two modules that you didn't perform so well on. However with the system now you will have 12 exams in June, with one shot at it, this makes it even harder but it all depends on whether you have the motivation to study 24/7 from now and up to June.

I'm just windering- what happens if you score badly in just one of the exams? Are you not able to just retake that one exam for the A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doing 3 a levels in a year isn't unrealistic but it depends on the subject and your intellect.

For example a levels maths and further maths wouldnt be overly hard if you can do maths as it isn't that time consuming.

Essay subjects take generally longer and is more of a slow development. It's even worse for languages.

Good luck
Reply 18
in my college the policy is to teach to a C grade (51% students got a C 3% got an A)

I had decent background knowledge but I spent 2 months in libraries before my exams teaching myself. I had never studied independently before.

I know my situation isn't like yours but in a year of hard work you can do it. However it has to be a gruelling year of intense study you can't coast along and rely on your intellect. You aren't being tested against your intelligence you're being tested against a mark scheme.
Reply 19
Original post by Mephestic
I'm just windering- what happens if you score badly in just one of the exams? Are you not able to just retake that one exam for the A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in the same year, no. This is because there is only one exam season (june), starting from this academic year. Therefore any retake you want to do would have to be taken next june.

Quick Reply

Latest