The Student Room Group

Applying for history

Predictions: ABB (A in history)

AS grades: ABCC (A in history)

Choices:

Birmingham(AAA/AAB) - Very ambitious but why not?
Sheffield (AAB) - Above predictions again but would love toget in
Loughborough (AAB/ABB)
Leicester (ABB) - These two are both more realistic andmatch up with predictions
Hull(BBB) A good backup in my opinion

Does everyone think this is fair enough? Bit ambitious but Ithink my personal statement is solid enough. Fingers crossed.
Original post by Stewart365
Predictions: ABB (A in history)

AS grades: ABCC (A in history)

Choices:

Birmingham(AAA/AAB) - Very ambitious but why not?
Sheffield (AAB) - Above predictions again but would love toget in
Loughborough (AAB/ABB)
Leicester (ABB) - These two are both more realistic andmatch up with predictions
Hull(BBB) A good backup in my opinion

Does everyone think this is fair enough? Bit ambitious but Ithink my personal statement is solid enough. Fingers crossed.

History is such a competitive subject that they don't need to be 'kind' to anyone. Where two sets of grades are quoted, you will be offered the higher one. The lower one is for special cases and contextual offers. Therefore you don't meet the requirements of 3 out of 5 of your choices, which makes for a very risky application indeed.
As above.

Birmingham is a wasted choice as the standard offer will be AAA (AAB is only for 'contextual offers' for disadvantaged applicants). You are very unlikely to get an offer with ABB predictions and if you do obviously it'll be AAA - very unrealistic as a Firm for anyone with ABB prediction. I think you've also got too many AAB choices (the standard offer from L'boro will be AAB).

Ideally you need one choice above your predictions (ie. either L'boro or Sheffield), 3 at your predictions, and one below. This is so that you get enough offers to have a choice of Unis for a realistic Firm and a realistic safety choice for Insurance. With the choices you've gt at the moment you run the risk of getting offers only from Leicester and Hull.

You need to look again at ABB choices - Kent, Keele etc.
It sounds to me like you're making pretty savvy choices!

It's definitely worth applying to Birmingham on the off chance you do better than you're predicted. I can't comment on their History department but from personal experience with the Law School, I know that Birmingham aren't averse to letting people in who achieve much lower grades than they require - BBB for an AAA course for example.

In case you don't do as well as predicted or do as predicted, you seem to have firm back up plans with your other offers.

Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 4
I applied to Birmingham last year and they actually gave me the offer of AAB without it being a contextual offer of any kind! They were in clearing this year for History and they wanted ABB so there is still hope yet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending