The Student Room Group

Need help, having last minute doubts

Hi,

I'm doing a third year of sixth form, retaking two of my three A2 levels.

I've been predicted A* A A.

I'm applying for politics and IR at: York, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham and Manchester.

How likely am I to get an offer? Should I not bother applying to Bristol and Bath?

(I also have pretty bad GCSEs, mostly Bs and Cs)

Thanks in advance!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bismarck.
Hi,

I'm doing a third year of sixth form, retaking two of my three A2 levels.

I've been predicted A* A A.

I'm applying for politics and IR at: York, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham and Manchester.

How likely am I to get an offer? Should I not bother applying to Bristol and Bath?

(I also have pretty bad GCSEs, mostly Bs and Cs)

Thanks in advance!
Nobody can tell you how likely you are to get an offer, although one thing is certain and that is that you won't if you don't apply. You meet the criteria, so give it a go, although you probably want to be looking at a couple of lower ones for insurance.
As long as you have a spread of grade requirements (ie. at least one of those choices has a B grade in it), and your AS grades were good, then dont worry about the GCSEs.

Btw, if you apply to Bath. go for the 4 year 'with placement' option - this will add heaps to your employability on graduation.
Reply 3
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Nobody can tell you how likely you are to get an offer, although one thing is certain and that is that you won't if you don't apply. You meet the criteria, so give it a go, although you probably want to be looking at a couple of lower ones for insurance.

Thanks for the advice, could you recommend which one you'd replace with an insurance? I'm finding it really hard to decide.
Thanks for the advice, could you recommend which one you'd replace with an insurance? I'm finding it really hard to decide.

Have a go at typing in some qualifications into this and see what turns up:
http://www.whatuni.com/

Look carefully at the optional units for all three years of the course for each Uni - no two Politics/IR course will be exactly the same.

Think about your interests - political theory? political history? any particular geographical area? Look at the other options available - Year Abroad, placement, optional language units, units from other subjects?

Whilst 'which Uni' is important, the course content and your enthusiasm/enjoyment for that is what will keep you going for three years, and is more important. Choose carefully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending