The Student Room Group

Bartlett Task 2014

Hi, I've recived a task from UCL yesterday, but i am confused a bit about the form of it and what they are asking for. What techniques are you gonna use? How far you are with the task? feel free to show off your work and tips,opinions :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mokjinwow
Hi, I've recived a task from UCL yesterday, but i am confused a bit about the form of it and what they are asking for. What techniques are you gonna use? How far you are with the task? feel free to show off your work and tips,opinions :wink:

Given you're competing with 1000s of others for a space at the Bartlett I think its unlikely anyone is going to share their work ahead of the deadline, frankly. The Bartlett expects you to interpret a brief, show imagination, creativity, flair. If you are genuinely stumped by the best way to tackle the task exercise, this might be a good clue that it might not be the right school of architecture for you. The good news is that there are plenty of others for which you might feel more suited.

If you disagree with this, then my advice would be to sit down in a quiet room for a few hours, read the task through, have a pad and some pencils / pens and start sketching out what you think the appropriate thing to represent is. In the process of figuring out what you want to represent, you will undoubtedly start to have thoughts about what is the correct media.
Reply 2
Thx a lot for reply. I already have some ideas how to tackle the task, so it's high time to get to work. + I know that its very competative course, but who dont try, never win, so it is good occasion. Anyone knows how many applicants are shortlisted after the task?
Reply 3
These are my quick, really mundane sketches:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/mblk.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/9328.jpg/

What do you think about them, too low level for the Bartlett or should be ok with this standard of sketching?

What do you think about them, too low level for the Bartlett or should be ok with this standard of sketching?

What's the task, out of interest?
Reply 5

Hi. They are fine as sketches but I think you will need to take it up a notch to get an interview at the Bartlett. I take it you're familiar with the type of work they produce and have been to the year end shows? I'd really recommend looking online for photos of year end work - no one will expect you to produce work of that calibre, but it should give you some clues about the type of thing they like to see. There is, as I'm sure you know, very much a 'style'.

I imagine that those who get interviews will also have an angle / layering to their works, not just be good artists. The trick is finding the right level of sophistication without it starting to look contrived. Good luck with your application.
Sorry, Im kinda confused. Is producing a 1 min sketch a must-do-task? coz I have some postgraduates recommending me to ignore the time limit n produce 4 very fine drawings instead.
Or do they actually like seeing quick sketches?And should I avoid being a bit sketchy in my drawings?
Reply 7
jrhartley thx for your opinion. I am trying as much as I am able to be familiar with the sketches, sculptures from the Bartlett to increase my chances.

martinetlau I also heard from person who already got into the Bartlett, that doing quick sketches is poinless on the task. It is so competative course that you can't just 1min response for the question, although it shouldn't be a masterpiece. Maybe mix them both, do quite decent piece of art and make it looks like quick drawing? Everyone have another idea to supprise:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey,

I've just received my task. I was wondering if we are supposed to present a cohesive set of ideas/sketches, or, if we can have a different approach to the theme on each sheet?

Reply 9
Well its the theme for discussion. As every year the task is a bit diffrent. Mainly it depends on your idea for the task. If you are able to do sth diffrent and still interesting on every sheet; go for it- if not, i would suggest focus on one approach and try to do it well, since its UCL...;P
Hi, I'm also doing the task too.

I'm just a bit confused about this part: At least four of the responses should be freehand pen or pencil sketches or drawings which are NOT derived/copied from photographs

I get the no photograph thing, but does this mean at least 4 of them must be done by pen/pencil?
Original post by janedavolta
Hi, I'm also doing the task too.

I'm just a bit confused about this part: At least four of the responses should be freehand pen or pencil sketches or drawings which are NOT derived/copied from photographs

I get the no photograph thing, but does this mean at least 4 of them must be done by pen/pencil?

It means at least 4 pieces must be hand drawn work.
Reply 12
Did you quote it directly from the task? + For me it means sketchy nature of above tools. Expressing your idea as quick repsonse by watercolour or another great technique is time consuming, so the will know at the start how much time you spent for it. However i don't know your skills, maybe you are good in paints,so try them:smile: I would suggest as they wrote --> pen, pencil ; maybe fineliner and markers - sometimes much better to give some colours into black and white drawings;p
Did you quote it directly from the task? + For me it means sketchy nature of above tools. Expressing your idea as quick repsonse by watercolour or another great technique is time consuming, so the will know at the start how much time you spent for it. However i don't know your skills, maybe you are good in paints,so try them:smile: I would suggest as they wrote --> pen, pencil ; maybe fineliner and markers - sometimes much better to give some colours into black and white drawings;p

Thank you :smile: Yes I quoted exactly what they said. I asked a person who got into the Bartlett and she said it's best if I use a variety of mediums. Then again, her task was different from mine. The thing is, they said pen OR pencil, no 'etc'. So maybe I'll sneak in some marker & fineliner :smile:
Just sent off my Task.Pretty sure that I will get early rejection because ....I'm sure my sketches are not quite up to standard
Reply 15
Don't give up. There are still some chances until u recieve rejection from UCL. Maybe upload your task and show us. Sometimes we are too much self- critical ; I am sure that your work is not as bad as you said:smile:
Reply 16
Has anybody heard back from ucl after sending the task off yet? I have sent mine off about two weeks ago but still have no reply... I think because of the christmas holiday so the first bunch of interviews should be in early December? So Can anybody reply if they got the interviews please? :smile:)
Reply 17
still nothing in my case...
sent mine 2 weeks ago, said they will 'reply shortly'... so nervous i feel sick!
Original post by Jjjuj
Has anybody heard back from ucl after sending the task off yet? I have sent mine off about two weeks ago but still have no reply... I think because of the christmas holiday so the first bunch of interviews should be in early December? So Can anybody reply if they got the interviews please? :smile:)

i got an email from them today, interview on 12 Feb!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending