The Student Room Group

Which GOOD Uni accepts BTEC for CS

Besides KCL which other Uni accepts BTEC students.

I am predicted to get D*D*D* (420 UCAS Points) (18 Units)

I do not have any A-Levels. But I know how to program in Java/Phyton

I want to send my UCAS application this week so I want to know which unis I can aim for.

If a similar thread has been posted do you mind giving me a link please.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Hi,

If you're considering London, City University may be a good choice. (I work there, but not as an undergraduate admissions tutor - I only teach postgraduates myself).

City have a good number of BTEC students, and so our teaching is well adapted to ensuring both BTEC and 'A' level students get an equal opportunity to succeed. Students arrive with different skills, so thoughtful institutions consider this in how they design their degree programmes.

I've worked at a number of Russell Group universities, and while many elite institutions do accept BTEC students, their view in private of students from a BTEC background is...not so positive. They often plan around 'A' level students only, and the outcomes for BTEC students are therefore not as good. That is worth being quite careful about in looking at places to study - ask what specific things they've done to ensure BTEC students have a good chance.

City's research scored almost identical to Kings, for example, at the last RAE, and our employment outcomes are almost equal to or, for some courses, significantly ahead of Kings and Queen Mary. We've made a number of new staff appointments of late, and are half-way through revisions to our degrees to ensure our teaching is both challenging and exciting (e.g. I'm helping plan new modules that will include working with Arduino and sensors).

In terms of other alternatives, I think Queen Mary might also be worth a look?

George
Reply 2
Had you taken A Level Maths with the BTEC, I think you would of had a hell of a lot more doors open to maybe the top unis like bristol, bath or exeter etc. but don't worry, there are still goods unis such as City University, as the person above said, Liverpool is a very good uni, and there requirements are D*DD. So not every uni will require A Level Maths if you are doing the BTEC but it does help because there is a lot of maths in the course. I suggest you go on the link below and look at all the universities and entry requirements and there will be a small section that will say if they accept "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF) (Suite known as nationals)" and look at the grade requirements. I'm assuming your doing BTEC Extended Diploma, please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?Feather=7&Vac=1&Query=computer%20science&AvailableIn=2014&MaxResults=1000&page=1

Could I ask what grade did you get in GCSE Maths?
Reply 3
Original post by gbuchanan
Hi,

If you're considering London, City University may be a good choice. (I work there, but not as an undergraduate admissions tutor - I only teach postgraduates myself).

City have a good number of BTEC students, and so our teaching is well adapted to ensuring both BTEC and 'A' level students get an equal opportunity to succeed. Students arrive with different skills, so thoughtful institutions consider this in how they design their degree programmes.

I've worked at a number of Russell Group universities, and while many elite institutions do accept BTEC students, their view in private of students from a BTEC background is...not so positive. They often plan around 'A' level students only, and the outcomes for BTEC students are therefore not as good. That is worth being quite careful about in looking at places to study - ask what specific things they've done to ensure BTEC students have a good chance.

City's research scored almost identical to Kings, for example, at the last RAE, and our employment outcomes are almost equal to or, for some courses, significantly ahead of Kings and Queen Mary. We've made a number of new staff appointments of late, and are half-way through revisions to our degrees to ensure our teaching is both challenging and exciting (e.g. I'm helping plan new modules that will include working with Arduino and sensors).

In terms of other alternatives, I think Queen Mary might also be worth a look?

George

Thanks for the info I'll put City as one of my options.
Reply 4
Original post by ojusrane
Had you taken A Level Maths with the BTEC, I think you would of had a hell of a lot more doors open to maybe the top unis like bristol, bath or exeter etc. but don't worry, there are still goods unis such as City University, as the person above said, Liverpool is a very good uni, and there requirements are D*DD. So not every uni will require A Level Maths if you are doing the BTEC but it does help because there is a lot of maths in the course. I suggest you go on the link below and look at all the universities and entry requirements and there will be a small section that will say if they accept "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF) (Suite known as nationals)" and look at the grade requirements. I'm assuming your doing BTEC Extended Diploma, please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?Feather=7&Vac=1&Query=computer%20science&AvailableIn=2014&MaxResults=1000&page=1

Could I ask what grade did you get in GCSE Maths?

I done my GCSE Maths in Sweden, I not 100% sure but I think the equivalent is either B or C but I think its a B.
Reply 5
Original post by KingZero
I done my GCSE Maths in Sweden, I not 100% sure but I think the equivalent is either B or C but I think its a B.

Ok at what age did you move here if you don't me asking, just for further advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ok at what age did you move here if you don't me asking, just for further advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 19 years old moved to London (England) last year due to the fact that my mom kicked me out because I flopped school and I wanted to start fresh here in UK.

In case you wonder why I did not do A-Levels quick story:

Since I did not have my English GCSE (Sweden only teaches English as a secondary language) I had to do a BTEC course luckily I managed to sneak my way in to an Extended course without English, but I managed to get a C during my first year and also 8 Distinctions and one .... Merit which I already improved to a distinction.

Feel free to ask anything else.
Reply 7
Original post by KingZero
I'm 19 years old moved to London (England) last year due to the fact that my mom kicked me out because I flopped school and I wanted to start fresh here in UK.

In case you wonder why I did not do A-Levels quick story:

Since I did not have my English GCSE (Sweden only teaches English as a secondary language) I had to do a BTEC course luckily I managed to sneak my way in to an Extended course without English, but I managed to get a C during my first year and also 8 Distinctions and one .... Merit which I already improved to a distinction.

Feel free to ask anything else.

Im sorry to hear that but yeah, why don't you write something about that in your personal statement and say how hard you've worked to get this far, because in the end you want a point to prove, that its not the end of the world, but you just need to do it the hard way, which you did but you could expect a good reward with the work you put in.

There are good universities that offer computer science alone or with a foundation year. A foundation year means you will still get a normal degree but you will just need to spend an extra year in university than a person than a person who is more qualified than you and not doing a foundation year.

Ok youve got a decent maths grade B, so what I would say is call University of liverpool computer science (because they offer foundation year and are a good uni) and ask them for the entry requirements of foundation year (year 0) and entry for normal years (year 1 to 3). Try and reply before 12:30pm because ill be in aeroplane by the time. Otherwise ill check by friday morning

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Im sorry to hear that but yeah, why don't you write something about that in your personal statement and say how hard you've worked to get this far, because in the end you want a point to prove, that its not the end of the world, but you just need to do it the hard way, which you did but you could expect a good reward with the work you put in.

There are good universities that offer computer science alone or with a foundation year. A foundation year means you will still get a normal degree but you will just need to spend an extra year in university than a person than a person who is more qualified than you and not doing a foundation year.

Ok youve got a decent maths grade B, so what I would say is call University of liverpool computer science (because they offer foundation year and are a good uni) and ask them for the entry requirements of foundation year (year 0) and entry for normal years (year 1 to 3) and tell me what they say. Try and reply before 12:30pm because ill be in aeroplane by the time. Otherwise ill check by friday morning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Sorry accidently quoted dont knw how to delete post via phone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nottingham, King's College London, Brunel, Royal Holloway, Birmingham (Individual basis), Queen Mary, Southampton Foundation Year. Those are the ones I've found so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending