The Student Room Group

Spelt a word wrong on personal statement....awkward

Hey everyone. I know this is a ridiculous mistake to make, but I am applying to do English Lit and on my personal statement I misspelt "Hemingway" (spelt it with two m's.) To make matters worse, Hemingway is one of my favourite authors, and I even said that in the personal statement!!! AND IT WAS SENT THIS MORNING.

My question is, wanting to be an English student, and misspelling one of my FAVOURITE AUTHORS, would the university reject my application on grounds of that one, albeit very important, spelling mistake? I feel ridiculous.

I must have been writing that part very late at night...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by harriet95
Hey everyone. I know this is a ridiculous mistake to make, but I am applying to do English Lit and on my personal statement I misspelt "Hemingway" (spelt it with two m's.) To make matters worse, Hemingway is one of my favourite authors, and I even said that in the personal statement!!! AND IT WAS SENT THIS MORNING.

My question is, wanting to be an English student, and misspelling one of my FAVOURITE AUTHORS, would the university reject my application on grounds of that one, albeit very important, spelling mistake? I feel ridiculous.

I'm sure this is why the vast majority of teachers, current and past students, advisers, TSRians etc all suggest proofreading. Anyway I don't think it will make them reject you instantly if the rest of your application is strong but it definitely will be noticed. Good luck with the applications.
Reply 2
It's not a huge mistake though. If you had spelt it like "Haminway" or something, then they would be like "wtf?!" but I doubt it will make any difference in the way you did. Tbh, they have so many PS to look at, they probably won't notice :tongue:

Good luck with your application :smile:

Are you still at college? If your college still needs to provide your reference they can return it to you so you get your PS corrected.
AND IT WAS SENT THIS MORNING.

Then it will still be with your referee and can be sent back to you for correction, if you ask. If it has been forwarded by your referee already, just forget it and get on with your studies.
Reply 5
At least you didn't do a Mariah Carey - "Ken Lee" type job on it.

If it's going to be an issue, you could send an email to the admissions tutor with an updated copy. Just mention that you wanted to make a change and would rather they use that one in their admissions process.
Reply 6
stop zoning on the negative I am sure it will be overlooked ..keeping my fingers crossed for you ! best of luck!
Reply 7
Original post by saraw26
It's not a huge mistake though. If you had spelt it like "Haminway" or something, then they would be like "wtf?!" but I doubt it will make any difference in the way you did. Tbh, they have so many PS to look at, they probably won't notice :tongue:

Good luck with your application :smile:

Haha this is true! thank you very much. :smile:

Original post by curtis871
I'm sure this is why the vast majority of teachers, current and past students, advisers, TSRians etc all suggest proofreading. Anyway I don't think it will make them reject you instantly if the rest of your application is strong but it definitely will be noticed. Good luck with the applications.

yeah my tutor said it was a pretty strong application, and the PS was also very good. Believe me, I've been to see my tutor almost every day to check up on my application and proof read everything - he even helped me re-word that particular paragraph a little so he would have surely noticed too. It's only when i copied the statement into a text to my mum that my iphone spell-check picked up on it! haha whats done is done.

Original post by BenP
Are you still at college? If your college still needs to provide your reference they can return it to you so you get your PS corrected.

Original post by Good bloke
Then it will still be with your referee and can be sent back to you for correction, if you ask. If it has been forwarded by your referee already, just forget it and get on with your studies.

Original post by SillyEddy
At least you didn't do a Mariah Carey - "Ken Lee" type job on it.

If it's going to be an issue, you could send an email to the admissions tutor with an updated copy. Just mention that you wanted to make a change and would rather they use that one in their admissions process.

to all three of these quotes - it has been sent off to UCAS themselves, not just my college. oops! I could do the admissions tutor email. Or, I could not worry too much about it, as it was a minor mistake and barely noticeable in the bulk of the statement.....!
Reply 8
Original post by Bonmot
stop zoning on the negative I am sure it will be overlooked ..keeping my fingers crossed for you ! best of luck!

aww thank you for the encouragement and that...rather...creepy photo.. haha :P
you could send an email to the admissions tutor with an updated copy. Just mention that you wanted to make a change and would rather they use that one in their admissions process.

You are the second person in 24 hours to suggest on TSR that someone draws attention to a trivial typing error by trying to get the universities to accept a correction. All this does is tell the admissions tutor that you are unable to distinguish between something that is important and something that is trivial, and it wastes his time on something trivial.
Reply 10
...All this does is tell the admissions tutor that you are unable to distinguish between something that is important and something that is trivial, and it wastes his time on something trivial.

good point.
Haha this is true! thank you very much. :smile:

yeah my tutor said it was a pretty strong application, and the PS was also very good. Believe me, I've been to see my tutor almost every day to check up on my application and proof read everything - he even helped me re-word that particular paragraph a little so he would have surely noticed too. It's only when i copied the statement into a text to my mum that my iphone spell-check picked up on it! haha whats done is done.

to all three of these quotes - it has been sent off to UCAS themselves, not just my college. oops! I could do the admissions tutor email. Or, I could not worry too much about it, as it was a minor mistake and barely noticeable in the bulk of the statement.....!

If all those people missed I wouldn't worry too much. I agree with Good Bloke about not drawing attention to it. Don't draw attention to it and you've not wasted their time, they might miss it and if they don't they'll only do whatever they would have done had they spotted it on their own at best.
You are the second person in 24 hours to suggest on TSR that someone draws attention to a trivial typing error by trying to get the universities to accept a correction. All this does is tell the admissions tutor that you are unable to distinguish between something that is important and something that is trivial, and it wastes his time on something trivial.

The same works for any sort of mistake or correction.

Perhaps a grade was changed or an event was updated and you need to make the personal statement correct again?

I'd be surprised if they went through the entire document just to look for the mistakes you made. I'm sure they'd be happy just to accept that there was an issue and you'd like to resolve it. Send it to the admissions people, they'll happily forward it on. It's wasting all of about an ounce of their time, and ultimately they're working for you as a paying student. If they are incapable or unwilling to help out their applicants, why bother applying to them in the first place?

Point is: Don't say "I mis-spelt all these words", just word it nicely and say something along the lines of "I have made corrections to my personal statement and it is now a more current version. Please consider this in the application process". Job done.
The same works for any sort of mistake or correction.

Perhaps a grade was changed or an event was updated and you need to make the personal statement correct again?

Er, no. An important correction, say to a declared grade, or to some other factual inaccuracy is both worthy of and compulsory to change.

Point is: Don't say "I mis-spelt all these words", just word it nicely and say something along the lines of "I have made corrections to my personal statement and it is now a more current version. Please consider this in the application process". Job done.

Or, to paraphrase what you have written, I just wanted to draw your attention to my ineptitude in writing my PS, and my inability to work out what is important in an application. I now demand you leave your other important work to give me a chance that the other candidates don't have (namely to rewrite it), and I promise I won't be like this if you give me an offer. Honest.
Er, no. An important correction, say to a declared grade, or to some other factual inaccuracy is both worthy of and compulsory to change.

Or, to paraphrase what you have written, I just wanted to draw your attention to my ineptitude in writing my PS, and my inability to work out what is important in an application. I now demand you leave your other important work to give me a chance that the other candidates don't have (namely to rewrite it), and I promise I won't be like this if you give me an offer. Honest.

A name is not factual inaccuracy? I'm not saying they have to change it, but it really wouldn't be a faff to do so.

For a personal statement helper, you should probably encourage people to deliver the best personal statement they can to universities. Calling them inept is hardly a proactive solution.

For a personal statement helper, you should probably encourage people to deliver the best personal statement they can to universities.

PS helpers aim to help people improve their whole application. Doing what you suggest wouldn't achieve that.
Or, I could not worry too much about it, as it was a minor mistake and barely noticeable in the bulk of the statement.....!

Then why did you make this thread...
I've just realise there are 3 minor errors (Clarke not Clark, Greenburg when it should be Greenberg and Woolf as opposed to wolf) in mine. I can't stop crying. I've worked so hard for Cambridge and so worried that everything else on my application is now a waste of time? I'm severely dyspraxia which affects my spelling but will that even be taken into account? Does this sortof thing cost people a place? Every other sentence every bloody word my whole application has been so laboured over and I'm so proud of will this undermine all of that?
Original post by Bonmot

You have so many fingers
Reply 19
You'd just have to wave goodbye to your future in this situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending