The Student Room Group

Is cheekiness a quintessentially British attribute?

Prompted by this article.

"I asked several American friends if the term had a US equivalent, but some told me that the concept doesn't even exist in the same way ... "

I think she has a point. Britain acquired a great Empire, "won" two World Wars, lost the Empire & exports values such as democracy and education, music, entertainment & comedy. We have a sort of old uncle "been there done that" status in the modern World, we are not still trying to find ourselves, we can laugh at ourselves, and others.

Not that others can't learn the same trait. Idi Amin's 1973-74 "Save Britain Fund" for example.
Cheekiness .. British?
Oh you tease! :p:
:spank:
Noo, all humans have cheeks, OP :colondollar:
Reply 3
Self deprecating humour is a curiously British (and I believe to some extent German) trait. So we definitely have a different way of poking fun, which I guess could be defined as cheekiness.
Reply 4
Yes. People abroad are much more genuine and less rude, particularly in America.
Reply 5
I know what you mean, especially as a lot of our comedy is quite cheeky and tongue-in -cheek. To be honest THE quintessentially British attribute is queuing.
Original post by tory88
Self deprecating humour is a curiously British (and I believe to some extent German) trait. So we definitely have a different way of poking fun, which I guess could be defined as cheekiness.

No it's not really a German trait. I've spent a lot of time in Germany and have never experienced someone with that type of humour :lol: It's definitely more British.
Reply 7
No, of course not.
Reply 8
No...even though you'd like to think so.
Self deprecating humour and cheekiness are completely different things though.

I would not say the latter is a "british" thing tbh. Just because Americans don't have something doesn't make it only British. There's a lot of other countries in the world.
Cheekiness? Nah

Being a sarcastic prick? Yup
Reply 11
yeah it is , but im always surprised how all nations of people can find similar things funny...i love it when people make fun of themselves though, especially if its quite witty, i like dry sense of humour

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending