The Student Room Group

personal statement - gap year

I unfortunately was not successful in getting into a uni this year, so now I'm taking a gap year and will retake some exams. I'm currently re-applying, and need some advice on how to write my personal statement...

I understand that I can re-use the personal statement that I've written before but I was told that I need to change it a little bit.
What exactly do I need to change? Do I mention that I'm on my gap year and what I'm doing at the moment (volunteering) ?

Thank you to those of you who reply! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by ahyak
I unfortunately was not successful in getting into a uni this year, so now I'm taking a gap year and will retake some exams. I'm currently re-applying, and need some advice on how to write my personal statement...

I understand that I can re-use the personal statement that I've written before but I was told that I need to change it a little bit.
What exactly do I need to change? Do I mention that I'm on my gap year and what I'm doing at the moment (volunteering) ?

Thank you to those of you who reply! :smile:

I'm in a similar position to you. I'm a medicine re-applicant and I sent my application off last Friday.

Yes you can re-use certain parts of your personal statement, but in my opinion you should rewrite a large proportion of your personal statement as you have more experience and overall you have become more mature.

In regards to your gap year, you should write about what you are planning to do and what you aim to get out of them. That's what I wrote about - it doesn't even have to be that long. I only used 2 sentences.

Best of luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by minhle20
I'm in a similar position to you. I'm a medicine re-applicant and I sent my application off last Friday.

Yes you can re-use certain parts of your personal statement, but in my opinion you should rewrite a large proportion of your personal statement as you have more experience and overall you have become more mature.

In regards to your gap year, you should write about what you are planning to do and what you aim to get out of them. That's what I wrote about - it doesn't even have to be that long. I only used 2 sentences.

Best of luck! :smile:

Thanks for replying! Initially, I wanted to do Economics but now I want to do Acc and Finance.

Are you also re-sitting exams? Do I mention that in my personal statement? I hear that may be a bad thing to do, it may give a bad impression..

Good luck to you too!
Reply 3
Original post by ahyak
Thanks for replying! Initially, I wanted to do Economics but now I want to do Acc and Finance.

Are you also re-sitting exams? Do I mention that in my personal statement? I hear that may be a bad thing to do, it may give a bad impression..

Good luck to you too!

No I'm not re-sitting any exams so I don't know whether or not it's a good idea mentioning it in your personal statement.
Reply 4
Original post by minhle20
No I'm not re-sitting any exams so I don't know whether or not it's a good idea mentioning it in your personal statement.

Okay, well thank you so much for your help any way :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ahyak
Okay, well thank you so much for your help any way :smile:

No worries! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending