The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine

Hi

In May 2012, I finished my A levels in English Language, Physical Education and Psychology (AAB). With no real plan for the future except a huge interest in Sport.

Today, I am In Florida on a Football Scholarship studying a degree in Business Management and Marketing. Recently I have become very interested in studying Sports Medicine as I career and after being away for a while I would like to finish my degree here and apply to Medicine School in England.

What would you advise for me in terms of application to programs in England, and gaining experience as I am currently lacking in a Scientific Background but I have to do medicine to become a sports medicine consultant....?

Any replies appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by tommydt
Hi

In May 2012, I finished my A levels in English Language, Physical Education and Psychology (AAB). With no real plan for the future except a huge interest in Sport.

Today, I am In Florida on a Football Scholarship studying a degree in Business Management and Marketing. Recently I have become very interested in studying Sports Medicine as I career and after being away for a while I would like to finish my degree here and apply to Medicine School in England.

What would you advise for me in terms of application to programs in England, and gaining experience as I am currently lacking in a Scientific Background but I have to do medicine to become a sports medicine consultant....?

Any replies appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sports medicine has only recently become a specialty with a dedicated training programme. You do need to do a medicine degree to become a sports medicine consultant. You will also be required to complete the foundation years following medschool and then you can either go straight into a Sports and Exercise Medicine (SEM) training programme, or you would train in either A&E, Orthopaedics, or GP and then complete further training in SEM, which is what most people seem to do.

Do a google search for SEM and check out the links on the NHS page, RCP page, the FSEM page and maybe the BASEM page too.

In terms of finding experience, contact local hospitals and GPs and try to arrange both some shadowing and some voluntary work. Voluntary work could be done in any setting to be honest, but make sure you have a position of responsibility and are looking after people that need help, like children, people with mental illness, elderly people etc.

In terms of programmes you can apply to, check out the TSR articles/wikis about Medicine. you should find ample information there.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for your reply, Do you think I stand a good opportunity of getting in if I build some good experience here in the states before returning to England regardless of my lack of science A Levels? and Do you know how long the Sports Medicine training is after Med school?. Thanks again
Original post by tommydt
Hi

Any replies appreciated!

Hi Tommy, and welcome to TSR. You'll be looking at graduate entry into medicine, and your options are covered in the wiki article on the subject (see link in top right of this page). Some of the courses are aimed at people who have a non-science background. You'll also need to check with target med schools if you'll be treated as a British/EU candidate or international. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by tommydt
Thanks a lot for your reply, Do you think I stand a good opportunity of getting in if I build some good experience here in the states before returning to England regardless of my lack of science A Levels? and Do you know how long the Sports Medicine training is after Med school?. Thanks again

From what I understand, you do the 2 foundation years, then 2 years of core training/acute training/GP training then come into Sports Medicine at what's known as ST3, i.e. specialty training year 3. I believe a lot of people do either an intercalated year in BSc/MSc Sports Medicine or they do it after graduating.

So you're looking at around 4 years after finishing medical school before you start training. Not sure how long the training actually is though.

Try and get some experience wherever you are in life! It's so vital to your medicine application that if it's offered, you may as well take it.

Some useful websites/links:
www.fsem.co.uk
http://www.fsem.co.uk/media/4153/frequently_asked_questions.pdf
www.basem.co.uk
http://www.medicalcareers.nhs.uk/specialty_pages/medicine/sport_and_exercise_medicine.aspx

There are some good links on those websites too.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending