The Student Room Group

Can't stay awake during lectures

So I'm a first year student and I've found I'm only awake for the first 20 minutes of a lecture before I conk out. I've tried pinching myself, drinking water, writing etc to stay awake but it doesn't help.

My body feels just feels numb and no matter how hard I try to fight it I've slept off. This happens everywhere like on the bus if I'm not standing up, if I'm in a really big group of people and the attentions not on me and..... when I'm out clubbing even if I'm enjoying myself

I'm also anemic and I've been taking Iron tablets for 3 months now, which I feel lately have not been working.

I try eating healthy with eating lean red meats and everything but I just can't help it. I find myself not listening in lectures, when I get home I'm usually straight to bed before I can do any work and when I wake up I'm still tired usually not bothered to do any reading.

Anyone in the same position as me or have any tips on staying awake?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Bump

Anybody please?
Are you getting enough sleep, eating breakfast etc?

May be an idea to speak to your GP.
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
So I'm a first year student and I've found I'm only awake for the first 20 minutes of a lecture before I conk out. I've tried pinching myself, drinking water, writing etc to stay awake but it doesn't help.

My body feels just feels numb and no matter how hard I try to fight it I've slept off. This happens everywhere like on the bus if I'm not standing up, if I'm in a really big group of people and the attentions not on me and..... when I'm out clubbing even if I'm enjoying myself

I'm also anemic and I've been taking Iron tablets for 3 months now, which I feel lately have not been working.

I try eating healthy with eating lean red meats and everything but I just can't help it. I find myself not listening in lectures, when I get home I'm usually straight to bed before I can do any work and when I wake up I'm still tired usually not bothered to do any reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's sounds like it could be caused because of your anaemia imo. You say your feel your iron tablets are not working, but you may want to talk to your gp about that.
Here is the nhs website link, which have a few suggestions to what you can do to improve your iron intake and also what may make it more difficult to absorb iron, http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anaemia-iron-deficiency-/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Maybe whilst taking your tablets, you could try to add in foods such as spinach, watercress, beans, nuts, dried fruit whilst also avoiding things like tea and coffee as it states on the nhs website and see if that makes a difference.
Reply 4
Sounds like Narcolepsy to me.
Original post by aranexus
Sounds like Narcolepsy to me.

Even though I just denied the fact I have after looking through some of the symptoms check a few boxes :/
Reply 6
Do you exercise regularly? Maybe that would help.
Reply 7
Do you get enough sleep?
Personally I reckon you should learn the art of 'mindfulness'
Now I'm not going to go all buddah on you but it seriously does help.. Plus it makes you more aware of oneself and the chi within the chakra..
Nah I'm just messing sorry.
But it does help you get smarter! Btw just a little taster, take a deep breath when you notice than you're mind is wandering. It brings you back to the moment.
Hope that helped a bit :smile:
talk to your GP

in the meantime try to get an early night or go to bed like an hour earlier and see if that makes a difference

You could try having a coffee before hand or maybe strong tea (not sure if that will work though)

Do you exercise? ARe you eating enough? possibly you need to have a blood test to see what you iron levels are like and then your GP can see if she needs to up the dosage sligthly?

Where do you sit e.g. do you sit right at the back..possible you could try sitting a bit more near the front so you can really try and engage in what is being said. Do you get really comfy/ is it realyl warm if so you might try wearing a t-shirt or something as if you are slightly colder and not warm and cosy it might help you stay more alert?
Reply 10
this is serious, speak to your GP. You shouldn't be falling asleep in public if you've had enough sleep (usually 9 hours or less) at night.
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Personally I reckon you should learn the art of 'mindfulness'
Now I'm not going to go all buddah on you but it seriously does help.. Plus it makes you more aware of oneself and the chi within the chakra..
Nah I'm just messing sorry.
But it does help you get smarter! Btw just a little taster, take a deep breath when you notice than you're mind is wandering. It brings you back to the moment.
Hope that helped a bit :smile:

LOL I tried this as soon i took that deep breath it turned to a yawn and that was it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CasualSoul
talk to your GP

in the meantime try to get an early night or go to bed like an hour earlier and see if that makes a difference

You could try having a coffee before hand or maybe strong tea (not sure if that will work though)

Do you exercise? ARe you eating enough? possibly you need to have a blood test to see what you iron levels are like and then your GP can see if she needs to up the dosage sligthly?

Where do you sit e.g. do you sit right at the back..possible you could try sitting a bit more near the front so you can really try and engage in what is being said. Do you get really comfy/ is it realyl warm if so you might try wearing a t-shirt or something as if you are slightly colder and not warm and cosy it might help you stay more alert?

I sit in the middle usually, its also not that I'm not interested its just involuntary, and I might just try your t shirt thing make myself uncomfortable as well as going to the go as soon as I find where it is on campus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sit in the front benches.
Works every time tbh.
Reply 14
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Plus it makes you more aware of oneself and the chi within the chakra..

Are you Naruto in disguise?? :eek:
Reply 15
Dude punch your nose and you are sorted for at least 10 minss

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL I tried this as soon i took that deep breath it turned to a yawn and that was it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm you must be tired when you go to lectures? Get some sleep woman! :tongue:
But seriously if you'd like some more info on this stuff just say the word or PM me :smile:
It makes you cleverer if you do it right so hey cany harm lol.
Original post by Enoxial
Are you Naruto in disguise?? :eek:

Umm not to sure what that is tbh... Sounds pretty cool though!
Although i bet its not lol
Reply 18
if you are sleeping in public and you cant help it and you are getting sleep at night time you could have some kind of sleep disorder, I would definitely go to the doctor, also it will disrupt your studies if you keep sleeping, and what if you fall a sleep while driving if you drive or while doing something that could be dangerous if you slept.
Reply 19
You need to boost your energy level through exercising, jogging or yoga. I changed my sleeping pattern 22 days ago and it has been a life changer so far, wake up every day 5-6:30AM, go jogging and feel refreshed afterwards. My energy has increased, my self-esteem is rising, my confidence is sky-rocketing. Wake up early + Exercise will completely change your life.

Quick Reply

Latest