The Student Room Group

RAF Officer presentation and OASC Fitness

Hi,

I've read umpteen threads and discussions, and while they all contain useful information, I just want to get one or two things straight.

I've applied to be an Aerospace Battle Manager, and I have my Officer's presentation next week. I'm going to brush up on aircraft, bases both at home and overseas, ranks and insignia, and my job in even more detail than I already know, just to be sure.

Is there anything else that I ought to have a look at for the presentation?

And on a side note about OASC, I've heard mixed information about the fitness test. Is the running side 1.5 miles or a bleep test?

And (again), I've been told that there is 2 - 4 weeks between the presentation and the filter interview. How long is there between the filter interview and OASC, and then OASC and IOT, generally speaking?

Thanks a lot.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mjwb
And (again), I've been told that there is 2 - 4 weeks between the presentation and the filter interview. How long is there between the filter interview and OASC, and then OASC and IOT, generally speaking?

How long's a piece of string?

I'll make no apologies for the flippant answer; it's because there's no direct answer to the question. There'll be guidelines about how long they want it to take, but that's by no means definite. You might have a delay in getting clearance. Or in getting your doctor's notes. Or you might not be able to make the first OASC date. Or the next IOT might already be full. It could all go through in 3 months, it could take a year. It used to roughly average out at about 6 months from Filter to IOT, but it's by no means certain that it still will.
You don't need to know anything for your presentation. You will just receive a group briefing.

OASC Fitness Test:
1.5 Mile Treadmill
Max Push-ups
Max Sit-ups

It tends to be 10-14 months from applying to start training. However this is a vague guess, as Drewski says there are no timelines.
Reply 3
Thank you for your responses. I know there are significant variables that affect the application, which is why I said generally speaking. There must be averages.

I'll take 10-14 months and it may even be explained at the presentation.
Reply 4
Speaking from personal experience, I started my application in February of this year and I will starting IOT in January 2014. Take it with a pinch of salt, but judging by talking to other candidates going through the application process at the moment, they are taking roughly the same amount of time to get through each stage.
Reply 5
Thanks AAC, and congratulations with OASC! Maybe I'll see you about in a year or two...

Best of luck.
Reply 6
For the interview:

Know EVERYTHING about being an ABM as in mine the questions delved into specifics. You will be asked things like "You can split being an ABM into 3 distinct areas, what are they?" (Surveillance, Weapons Controller, Space Operator). You will be asked questions about bases and aircraft but mainly those specific to the role of ABM, so know bases like Boulmer, High Wycombe, Flyngdales, Scampton etc. where you will go to or there is a high chance of you going to and know of the aircraft like the E-3D Sentry which of course you could actually work on.

Know the ins and outs of being an ABM so that when they question you they can be sure that you have thoroughly researched the job and you know what you are applying for. My interviewing officer asked me which area of aerospace battle management I would most like to go into and then asked me "So what if you don't get to do A and they send you to B? Will you be unhappy?" to which I replied "I hope in a way I don't get a choice because although I really want to do A, I really want to to do B, C and D as well and if there was a single aspect I didn't like the look of I wouldn't have applied".

As others have said, the presentation is just that. You sit in a room with some other applicants for SNCO and officer roles and they show you some videos and discuss the ups and downs of life in the RAF and then go on to tell you what to expect if you continue your application and the sort of things you should be doing to prepare for your filter interview too. Be aware that they won't tell you specifically what to 'revise' for the interview because each person at the presentation may be going for a different role in the RAF so the interviews will cover different things. At the presentation the officer said that he couldn't give a time frame because it differs a fair bit, some people may pass the interview and never be called up to Cranwell or have to wait a fair amount of time before going to Cranwell for OASC (He said something about the longest having to wait 9 months between passing the interview and being asked to go to OASC). I waited 2 weeks after the interview and heard nothing back (After the interview was over I was told I would hear back in 'around a week') so rang up the careers office and was told I had been successful and my details had been forwarded to Cranwell. The next day I got an email asking me to go to Cranwell for aptitude testing in exactly 3 but I had to put it back to the 29th of this month because I had been scheduled to work on the date they originally requested.

Regarding fitness, I was told at the presentation that there is a 1.5 mile run AND a bleep test.

I hope this has helped somewhat, enjoy the presentation and good luck in the interview and let us know how it goes. If you would like I'll post more about the aptitude testing once I have done it to give you a heads up on what goes on for ABM applicants.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I heard the medical could be a week or two after the filter interview with the fitness test in the same week

(things move fast like this if is a priority role such as regiment officer ect)
Reply 8
As far as I'm aware the medical and fitness test are still at OASC part two.
Reply 9
At my presentation, very basic questions about aircraft/bases/operations were thrown out to the group, in addition to being asked about the dis/advantages of life in the RAF, our thoughts on potentially having to go to war and the implications of that, and also what sports/exercise we did.

If you turned up in casual dress having done no research, with no hobbies and no clue about the RAF, then you might feel a bit foolish and out-of-place. Otherwise, nothing to worry about.

I can't really comment on timescales as I had to get a residency waiver and failed a medical, so my application has been fairly non-standard.

The Filter Interview was surprisingly relaxed (actually, the most informal interview I've ever had) and I got the impression that motivation/behaviour/awareness of the implications of joining and role of the RAF/communication skills were being tested more than knowledge of the ins and outs of the RAF and job role- questions on those aspects were fairly simple with no great surprises. I was also asked to rattle off a list of what was going on in the world, so best read up on the news beforehand (although, officially, I don't believe Current Affairs comes in until OASC).
Reply 10
Original post by Calsc85

If you turned up in casual dress

There were two guys at mine who showed up in jeans and t-shirts, they must have felt like idiots whilst everyone else was in suits or smart ****s and trousers.

Original post by Calsc85

The Filter Interview was surprisingly relaxed (actually, the most informal interview I've ever had) and I got the impression that motivation/behaviour/awareness of the implications of joining and role of the RAF/communication skills were being tested more than knowledge of the ins and outs of the RAF and job role- questions on those aspects were fairly simple with no great surprises. I was also asked to rattle off a list of what was going on in the world, so best read up on the news beforehand (although, officially, I don't believe Current Affairs comes in until OASC).

My filter interview was intense as sin! He even asked me specifically what happens during IOT, going as specific as asking what happens during each week until I had to admit to him that I did not know what happened at IOT in such specific detail. He also asked questions and as soon as I began to elaborate he would ask another question, this would continue for some time and then suddenly he would remain silent after one question as if prompting me to say more (This was surprisingly unnerving). He did mention in the presentation that he had recently changed how he did the interviews to be more in line with the sort of thing which happens at OASC. I guess each officer holds their interviews differently.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I'm going through the process at the moment, they've introduced a 'fit to serve' medical after the filter interview as well as the full, trade specific medical at OASC. The 'fit to serve' medicals are carried out by Capita, who seem to declare everybody temporarily medically unfit. They did for me but I'm still going to OASC soon.

With regards to filter interview, mine was very relaxed too. I think I would have preferred it if it had been more realistic of the OASC interview.
Reply 12
Original post by JordE

My filter interview was intense as sin! He even asked me specifically what happens during IOT, going as specific as asking what happens during each week until I had to admit to him that I did not know what happened at IOT in such specific detail. He also asked questions and as soon as I began to elaborate he would ask another question, this would continue for some time and then suddenly he would remain silent after one question as if prompting me to say more (This was surprisingly unnerving). He did mention in the presentation that he had recently changed how he did the interviews to be more in line with the sort of thing which happens at OASC. I guess each officer holds their interviews differently.

I might be looking into it too much, but I suspected that his approach was to be overly familiar, use lots of informal language, to see if I'd follow suit or remain 'professional'. He did tell me afterwards that he failed 8/10 candidates at filter interview, which surprised me as it seemed quite a large amount. All said and done, an interview is an interview, so provided you are smart, prepared and friendly/polite/non-robotic you can't go too wrong. I was quizzed in some detail about IOT and there were areas where I couldn't provide a response- as well as the silences you mention.

Another thing I learned was that the interviews are not just pass/fail but there is a scoring system- so the filter definitely isn't just a box-ticking exercise and it therefore pays to prepare.

Currently TMU due to failing my Capita medical, have a new medical booked so fingers crossed that'll go well and I'll get to do my best at OASC.
Reply 13
I haven't got this Capita medical...

Literally had my filter and have been called forward to Cranwell for aptitude testing...

Out of interest what are you guys applying for? It might be that certain trades have to go to a medical beforehand in the same way that pilot applicants have to go to aptitude testing before their filter interview.
Original post by mjwb
Hi,

I've read umpteen threads and discussions, and while they all contain useful information, I just want to get one or two things straight.

I've applied to be an Aerospace Battle Manager, and I have my Officer's presentation next week. I'm going to brush up on aircraft, bases both at home and overseas, ranks and insignia, and my job in even more detail than I already know, just to be sure.

Is there anything else that I ought to have a look at for the presentation?

And on a side note about OASC, I've heard mixed information about the fitness test. Is the running side 1.5 miles or a bleep test?

Thanks a lot.

It all depends on the needs of the branch, the AFCO you're applying through and a whole range of factors. When I first went through the process I was told I had to sit my filter within 5 days of the p2 presentation as they were rushing the process to meet a specific IOT (if I was successful). I was given an OASC date within 2 weeks of my filter. It was 4 months between applying online and being at OASC. The second time around, I didn't have to do a p2 pres as it was no longer compulsory, I had my 'filter' within a week of the AFCO receiving my application and I could've been at OASC by March which would've been 3 months (but I delayed it to June for work purposes.)
Moral of the story, it can be as quick as you want it to be if all the circumstances fit but you'll still be assigned to a specific IOT date according to how many slots are available for your branch.

Don't worry too much about inconsistencies on here as the process often changes, the AFCO and OASC will provide you with all the information you need (in theory) which should clarify the process for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I've just past my filter interview and waiting on the next stage but slightly confused.

The RAF site is saying my medical and fitness tests will be part of the OASC process. However, my AFCO have said it will be in a local gym.

Has anyone done this recently? What's the deal?
Are you going in as an officer?

The fitness is done at OASC for Officer candidates, and elsewhere for everyone else.
Medicals are done at a local CAPITA branch, OASC candidates have to do a second medical.
Reply 17
Original post by jannisjr
Are you going in as an officer?

The fitness is done at OASC for Officer candidates, and elsewhere for everyone else.
Medicals are done at a local CAPITA branch, OASC candidates have to do a second medical.

I am. Yes.

So in my case a CAPITA medical then the bleep test/treadmill at OASC? Followed by a further medical?

It's not a massive deal to be honest but just want to be clear.
Original post by yoko64
I am. Yes.

So in my case a CAPITA medical then the bleep test/treadmill at OASC? Followed by a further medical?

It's not a massive deal to be honest but just want to be clear.

I'm not au fait with the latest application process, but i believe you now have a fitness/test medical at local gym/capita then you do both again at OASC but i may be mistaken they do change the process quite often.

That was the case when i went through OASC.
Reply 19
Original post by AlphaTango
I'm not au fait with the latest application process, but i believe you now have a fitness/test medical at local gym/capita then you do both again at OASC but i may be mistaken they do change the process quite often.

That was the case when i went through OASC.

Ta.

I'l just keep running and be ready for the call.

I'm more concerned about the planning exercises. How do you get better at them?

Quick Reply

Latest