The Student Room Group

Are there any cheap alternatives to dumbbells?

Bags of sand, rocks, small children...
There was a documentary about prisoners who used bags full of water to get strong whilst in their cells (don't know what the bags were made of or how they got them).

Really, anything heavy with a good grip works. However, dumbells will make you feel more serious.
Reply 3
Bodyweight exercises.

OR

You could always try out them amazing get big and lean quick pills. They work wonders!:wink:
If you get a belt (not a lifting belt, a belt that you can thread weights through), a pullup bar, a couple of plates and a weighted vest, you can add resistance to a ton of bodyweight exercises.
Just do lots of cardio you'll get toned in no time
In all seriousness, you can get a 15kg dumbbell set for £16 from argos, or a 20kg cast iron set for £25

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID72/33020920/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+Leisure%7C33006346/c_2/2%7C33006346%7CFitness+equipment%7C33008186/c_3/3%7Ccat_33008186%7CWeights%2C+multi-gyms+and+strength+training%7C33011926/c_4/4%7Ccat_33011926%7CWeights+and+dumbbells%7C33020920.htm

You won't be able to do a whole lot with that weight after a while though, you'll get too strong for them in no time.
Reply 7
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Just do lots of cardio you'll get toned in no time

Im already tone but im small..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
1. Use your body weight .... but eventually will get bored :P ---

2. Do what i do ... I tied up all the "not needed" uni prospectuses i had and used them as a dumbell :P ... anything would work really --- a school bag with something heavy in it i.e books etc :smile:
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
In all seriousness, you can get a 15kg dumbbell set for £16 from argos, or a 20kg cast iron set for £25

I bought these. Couldn't carry them home :frown:
Original post by cambio wechsel

:lol: I just have images of you working out in the corner of Argos in order to get strong enough to carry them home!
Reply 11
No.
A gym membership costs £10-20/mo. This should be affordable to most people if they care enough. Buying home equipment generally works out cheaper over time but it's a bigger up front cost. Take your choice.
Reply 13
Original post by cambio wechsel

You just left them on the shop floor?

Lol seriously, if you cant carry 20kg home you should just stick to push ups and bodyweight squats.
Reply 14
Saw a prisoner once using his wrapped up matress to perform an overhead press

You can perform pull ups at your nearest scaffholding site

Pop into sports direct and use their weigths in store but they're not much

Push ups require no equipment but you can wear a rucksack with books in to add weight

Tricep dips between benches also need no specific equipment and you can easily add weight via books etc

I remember housemates on big brother would often use household objects like chairs instead of dumbells
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fusion
Saw a prisoner once using his wrapped up matress to perform an overhead press

You can perform pull ups at your nearest scaffholding site

Pop into sports direct and use their weigths in store but they're not much

Push ups require no equipment but you can wear a rucksack with books in to add weight

Tricep dips between benches also need no specific equipment and you can easily add weight via books etc

I remember housemates on big brother would often use household objects like chairs instead of dumbells

Loool I can just imagine OP hanging around a scaffolding site to do pull ups while workmen are hard at work around him, or covered in sweat mid workout in the middle of a Sports Direct :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest