The Student Room Group

University staff plan strike action for 31 October

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ChemistBoy
What about people who want to pay their front-line staff less, work them harder, introduce zero-hours contracts, reduce benefits all while charging students full wack and take home large bonuses for doing so in a university... are these people not also selfish?

Aren't rapists just as despicable as serial killers? Then maybe we should rape the murderers! If you rape murderers, it's morally ok.

If you don't like your job, you look for a new one. God forbid you only make £40,000+ a year, it'd be like living in Africa. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Seems like all they ever do is go on strike.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Aren't rapists just as despicable as serial killers? Then maybe we should rape the murderers! If you rape murderers, it's morally ok.

er... okay... :eek:

If you don't like your job, you look for a new one. God forbid you only make £40,000+ a year, it'd be like living in Africa. :frown:

Pretty hard when the entire sector is doing the same thing. Given the time spent in education and **** paid temporary work as a contract researcher, most academics don't hit £40,000 until well into their 30's, hardly mindblowing. No it's not the ****test job in the world, but most jobs don't require you to be a leading expert in something, now do they?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by ChemistBoy
er... okay... :eek:

Pretty hard when the entire sector is doing the same thing. Given the time spent in education and **** paid temporary work as a contract researcher, most academics don't hit £40,000 until well into their 30's, hardly mindblowing. No it's not the ****test job in the world, but most jobs don't require you to be a leading expert in something, now do they?

If that's seriously their complaint then a lot of people need to grow up and stop feeling so entitled. Those temporary research jobs should be exciting and enjoyable, if people are whining about the wages then they've entered the wrong profession and don't deserve a thing.
It's not exactly news that there isn't 'much' money in education. If pay was a concern they shouldn't have been professors.
Original post by Incredimazing
It's not exactly news that there isn't 'much' money in education. If pay was a concern they shouldn't have been professors.

So hang on. These are people who we know generally aren't motivated primarily by money. But even they feel the need to go on strike and take radical action to defend their pay. Does that not speak for itself? They're not acting out of greed, it's more the fact that a 13% real-terms cut in four years means many are really struggling, particularly those who already had mortgages who in some cases now struggle to put food on the table after other expenses have been paid for.
Reply 46
I think it shows total disrespect for their paying students tbh. At the end of the day, our fees fund their salaries, so I can see why they think if we're paying more, they should be earning more, but that doesn't mean they should take it out on us.
Original post by russellsteapot
No. There are plenty of other jobs which haven't seen any pay rise at all (indeed at my old company, the only pay rises anyone could achieve for about four years from 2008-2012 was via promotion). I generally don't support strikes, and university staff are pretty well paid across the board for what they do, and are vastly overpaid in some areas (very basic admin work for £18k+, mickey mouse 'student experience officer' jobs for £25k, etc).

Won't affect me as I'm neither working or studying on the 31st. Indeed, I'm sure many students will welcome the opportunity to get their halloween costumes sorted.

Why does that mean they shouldn't be allowed to strike to improve their pay? It is really you and your co-workers who got it wrong. I don't deny that university administration is bloated, over-funded and over-paid, but workers should feel that they can collectivise to make the most of their rather low bargaining position.

Saying unionised public sector workers should not strike because they "don't have it as bad as we do" is simply targeting the weak and supporting the strong, and all private sector workers seem to do it. They have Stockholm syndrome: they are complicit in their own abuse.
Original post by willbee
I think it shows total disrespect for their paying students tbh. At the end of the day, our fees fund their salaries, so I can see why they think if we're paying more, they should be earning more, but that doesn't mean they should take it out on us.

Your fees didn't fund their salaries until the coalition made 75% (!) public funding cuts to higher education. Whose fault is this exactly?

Also you haven't actually paid any fees. The bad debt taken on by the Student Loans Company (because barely anyone will actually pay it back) is funding their salaries.

Many people are under the illusion that their fees pay for contact time. This has been a right bugger for people like me who have seen more largely pointless lecture hours timetabled in the past two years when we really have better things to be getting on with. Your fees do not pay for contact time, they pay for a piece of paper and the opportunity to network with powerful companies/people.
If that's seriously their complaint then a lot of people need to grow up and stop feeling so entitled. Those temporary research jobs should be exciting and enjoyable, if people are whining about the wages then they've entered the wrong profession and don't deserve a thing.

In your last three posts:

- Calling workers entitled/selfish for standing up to bosses
- Saying "but think of the poor Africans!" and now, the crowning glory,
- A bit of "Arbeit macht frei"

Tory bingo anyone?
Original post by willbee

It's not about thinking that they should be earning more because of the fee rises. It's about thinking that their incomes should rise at the same rate as inflation, so that from year to year they can still afford to buy the same things. At the moment, they're effectively getting a pay cut every year.

Anyway, as someone else said, your fees don't directly pay for contact time...

Still, best hope that the universities cave over this one, else there will be more strikes to come (presumably at a time that is much more inconvenient for me than this one, which is reading week!)
Original post by scrotgrot
Why does that mean they shouldn't be allowed to strike to improve their pay? It is really you and your co-workers who got it wrong. I don't deny that university administration is bloated, over-funded and over-paid, but workers should feel that they can collectivise to make the most of their rather low bargaining position.

Saying unionised public sector workers should not strike because they "don't have it as bad as we do" is simply targeting the weak and supporting the strong, and all private sector workers seem to do it. They have Stockholm syndrome: they are complicit in their own abuse.

I think we just appreciated economic reality, which is something few striking workers do. Workers can ask for what they want. but if it's not economically viable, they're not getting it. Coal miners striking themselves out of jobs for example, or those up at Grangemouth who would rather their plant close down than accept a pay freeze for two years.

If (as was the case for me) the company was losing money and was pretty much a few percent from closing, I'd rather keep the job and the company going than decide it's my 'right' to bankrupt them by demanding pay rises they can't afford. Happily, when it got back on its feet, everyone got above-average pay rises, which was nice.
(edited 10 years ago)
My 2 lecturers on Thursday aren't striking, so class is still on for me. Quite pleased, I think it's utterly ridiculous (as do they).
Reply 53
Original post by Saoirse:3
So hang on. These are people who we know generally aren't motivated primarily by money.

Stop right there.

You're entering bad territory on two counts. Saying "WE" when you mean "I", then saying you "KNOW" what you "GUESS".

Original post by scrotgrot
In your last three posts:

- Calling workers entitled/selfish for standing up to bosses
- Saying "but think of the poor Africans!" and now, the crowning glory,
- A bit of "Arbeit macht frei"

Tory bingo anyone?

I regularly mock this Super-Conservative arse-rape coalition. My education/career is the exact opposite of the typical Conservative/politician. No private colleges, no Eton, just volunteering, retail, normal schools and free dinners.

If I was to play the same anti-logic, opinion-invalidating keyboard warrior game you're playing:

In your last post you label someone a supporter of a particular party because it disagrees with your opinion and/or they say/do something you perceive as following the philosophy or policy of that party.

Xenophobic, simple-minded Republican, anyone?
(edited 10 years ago)
Stop right there.

You're entering bad territory on two counts. Saying "WE" when you mean "I", then saying you "KNOW" what you "GUESS".

I regularly mock this Super-Conservative arse-rape coalition. My education/career is the exact opposite of the typical Conservative/politician. No private colleges, no Eton, just volunteering, retail, normal schools and free dinners.

If I was to play the same anti-logic, opinion-invalidating keyboard warrior game you're playing:

In your last post you label someone a supporter of a particular party because it disagrees with your opinion and/or they say/do something you perceive as following the philosophy or policy of that party.

Xenophobic, simple-minded Republican, anyone?

We, as in myself and the person I quoted who quite rightly pointed out lecturers knew that it wasn't a comparatively high-paying job. And using logic, you can reach a legitimate knowledgeable conclusion that their primary motivation isn't money when an alternate career open to them could have resulting in them earning more money.
Reply 55
We, as in myself and the person I quoted who quite rightly pointed out lecturers knew that it wasn't a comparatively high-paying job. And using logic, you can reach a legitimate knowledgeable conclusion that their primary motivation isn't money when an alternate career open to them could have resulting in them earning more money.

I get it. You're a teacher or professor who didn't achieve his/her dreams, so you're telling yourself that all professors/teachers are teaching by choice.
I get it. You're a teacher or professor who didn't achieve his/her dreams, so you're telling yourself that all professors/teachers are teaching by choice.

Actually I'm a first year undergraduate student, so I reckon you should stop all these guessing games and assumptions and just take what I say at face value :h:
Reply 57
I reckon you should stop all these guessing games and assumptions and just take what I say at face value :h:

These are people who we know generally aren't motivated primarily by money.

lecturers knew that it wasn't a comparatively high-paying job. their primary motivation isn't money when an alternate career open to them could have resulting in them earning more money.

I rest my case.
You pay £9000 a year and for what.... to see people striking, this isn't ****ing high school.
Loads of other places have had a pay cut they don't strike, these lecturers should not, esp when some unis only do around 2 lectures a week, hardly "bad conditions" under anybody's books.
The managers certainly don't deserve extra pay but nor do the lecturers.
Reply 59
Original post by russellsteapot
I think we just appreciated economic reality, which is something few striking workers do. Workers can ask for what they want. but if it's not economically viable, they're not getting it. Coal miners striking themselves out of jobs for example, or those up at Grangemouth who would rather their plant close down than accept a pay freeze for two years.

If (as was the case for me) the company was losing money and was pretty much a few percent from closing, I'd rather keep the job and the company going than decide it's my 'right' to bankrupt them by demanding pay rises they can't afford. Happily, when it got back on its feet, everyone got above-average pay rises, which was nice.

A very good post.

Another thing to remember is the pensions many of these university workers will be entitled to. They will be paid from the public pot long after they retire and this pot is not unlimited. There will have to be pension and wage cuts (or freezes, at least) in the near future, so I fear the number of strikes may increase.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending