The Student Room Group

Schrodinger Eq.

in Schrodinger Eq. : potential energy = V
how was that ???
and it's said that V can vary with x,t !!! I can't get it . thnx in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Samira Marassy
in Schrodinger Eq. : potential energy = V
how was that ???
and it's said that V can vary with x,t !!! I can't get it . thnx in advance :smile:

The potential energy of a particle can change with position - just think of a charge in an electric field or a mass in a gravitational field. To make solutions simpler, the schrödinger equation is usually presented in one dimension so you start off by looking at simple but physically unrealistic one-dimensional potentials but the principle that potential energy can vary with position will be something you've come across before. Similarly, potential energy could vary with time - you could imagine a situation where an electric field is generated by a voltage between two plates, say. If you vary the voltage (e.g. make it follow a sinusoidal variation with time), then the potential of a given point between the plates will change with time. Thus, it is possible for potential energy to be a function of both position and time. The equation doesn't distinguish between gravitational, electrostatic, strong nuclear force or any other - it applies just the same. I don't know if that helps at all?

Quick Reply

Latest