The Student Room Group

Disabled students not allowed to use the lift in our accommodation building?

Basically I don't know who to speak to in the uni.

My accommodation building is a cafe and conference rooms downstairs, and the accommodation is upstairs. I'm on the first floor of the accommodation (up one flight of stairs) and I'm pretty good healthwise at the moment. However I'm worried about how I cope if I have a crash or just an infection where I'm weaker then normal. I spoke to accommodation and they said, students aren't insured on the lift, if you can't cope with the stairs we'll have to move you to a different residence. I really don't want to do that, as location wise I'm a 1 minute walk from my department and not having to drive in is a massive deal for me, as my brain fog is terrible till midday. It's not just me either, there's a girl with arthritis and another with knee problems. We all just think it's a bit odd that there is a lift (it's not like we're asking them to build a lift) an we're classified as disabled students mobility wise, yet we're not allowed to use it.

I spoke to disability services to see if they had any advice and they said it's nothing to do with them, it's accomodation. But accomodation seem really unhelpful Like last year in my residence, the cleaner helped me out (I was too ill an had to suspend, but I'm doing so much better and being so close really does help hence not wanting to move). This year, I spoke to the cleaner here and she was happy to help but needed accommodation's permission. They said no, get a carer in with no explanation for the no despite me asking why.

I thought disability services should be able to liaise with other parts of the uni about disability related things? Anyone got any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by xfirekittyx

My accommodation building is a cafe and conference rooms downstairs, and the accommodation is upstairs. I'm on the first floor of the accommodation (up one flight of stairs) and I'm pretty good healthwise at the moment. However I'm worried about how I cope if I have a crash or just an infection where I'm weaker then normal. I spoke to accommodation and they said, students aren't insured on the lift, if you can't cope with the stairs we'll have to move you to a different residence. I really don't want to do that, as location wise I'm a 1 minute walk from my department and not having to drive in is a massive deal for me, as my brain fog is terrible till midday. It's not just me either, there's a girl with arthritis and another with knee problems. We all just think it's a bit odd that there is a lift (it's not like we're asking them to build a lift) an we're classified as disabled students mobility wise, yet we're not allowed to use it.

I spoke to disability services to see if they had any advice and they said it's nothing to do with them, it's accomodation. But accomodation seem really unhelpful Like last year in my residence, the cleaner helped me out (I was too ill an had to suspend, but I'm doing so much better and being so close really does help hence not wanting to move). This year, I spoke to the cleaner here and she was happy to help but needed accommodation's permission. They said no, get a carer in with no explanation for the no despite me asking why.

I thought disability services should be able to liaise with other parts of the uni about disability related things? Anyone got any advice?

I would go to the disability representative on your student union
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I would go to the disability representative on your student union

I did this, and they are going to talk to them. Thank you :smile:! Extra thank you, as you often help with my questions!
Reply 3
I did this, and they are going to talk to them. Thank you :smile:! Extra thank you, as you often help with my questions!

Glad to be of assistance :smile:
Reply 4
Yeesh, that's appalling! I hope you get somewhere with them, and if not I'd try and go as high up in the uni as possible to complain - people sometimes need a bit of a sharp reminder of what their job actually is. :rolleyes:
and some people don't know the law regarding disability provision and go off on one in an uninformed way.
Reply 6
Original post by balotelli12
and some people don't know the law regarding disability provision and go off on one in an uninformed way.

Erm, but nobody's done that... :erm: Unsure what your point is, or how it's meant to help OP.
Reply 7
Original post by superwolf
Erm, but nobody's done that... :erm: Unsure what your point is, or how it's meant to help OP.

What balotelli is trying to say that legally the uni don't need to let students use the lift as long as they do have some disabled provision in a hall somewhere. However as it would be such an inconvenience for the OP to move I suggested she bring the case up.
Reply 8
What balotelli is trying to say that legally the uni don't need to let students use the lift as long as they do have some disabled provision in a hall somewhere. However as it would be such an inconvenience for the OP to move I suggested she bring the case up.

Any of the other halls I would have to drive into uni, most are a 10-15 minute drive away and non disabled students use the bus. The ones closer tend to not have any parking provision. It's really silly though some halls have disabled flats on the first floor but then have up to six flights of stairs and no lifts. I've made a friend in one of those halls and It;s a bit annoying having to ask them to visit me every time. Once I did go there and got carried up and down the stairs but don't want them to injure themselves, It also seems a bit funny segregating disabled people to me from the rest of the students, but I guess it was to save money in not having to build lifts. However, what if someone injures themselves and their bedroom is up many, many stairs considering how often sports injuries happen :/
Reply 9
Any of the other halls I would have to drive into uni, most are a 10-15 minute drive away and non disabled students use the bus. The ones closer tend to not have any parking provision. It's really silly though some halls have disabled flats on the first floor but then have up to six flights of stairs and no lifts. I've made a friend in one of those halls and It;s a bit annoying having to ask them to visit me every time. Once I did go there and got carried up and down the stairs but don't want them to injure themselves, It also seems a bit funny segregating disabled people to me from the rest of the students, but I guess it was to save money in not having to build lifts. However, what if someone injures themselves and their bedroom is up many, many stairs considering how often sports injuries happen :/

I know, I was merely distinguishing between what the university has to do legally and what it has done. It seems ridiculous that there aren't disabled rooms in the hall walking distance from campus. At my uni all the halls are like the ones you described with disabled rooms on the ground floor. It was the easiest way to get the maximum number of rooms in a space and they don't put lifts in because they are so expensive to maintain- they break down so easily & drunk students think its funny to press all the buttons in them randomly.
Reply 10
I know, I was merely distinguishing between what the university has to do legally and what it has done. It seems ridiculous that there aren't disabled rooms in the hall walking distance from campus. At my uni all the halls are like the ones you described with disabled rooms on the ground floor. It was the easiest way to get the maximum number of rooms in a space and they don't put lifts in because they are so expensive to maintain- they break down so easily & drunk students think its funny to press all the buttons in them randomly.

Ahh sorry! There's one non uni owned hall which is about a five minute walk to my department and then about ten minutes to where I have lectures which is probably fine for a lot of people, but it's so hilly and my legs aren't capable of that so I'd still have to drive to lectures. They're expensive to maintain, but I wish they thought it was important not to create this extra obstacle for people like me that it was worth the money.
I think I know the building you're talking about, and it's an absolute labyrinth.

Every part of a building that can expect disabled people to access it must, by law, be fitted to allow those people to do so independently and safely.

They're obviously trying to wriggle out of it by suggesting to move you to another accommodation block, but that doesn't excuse the fact that this building isn't accessible to you, even though it could be, easily and it sounds like moving to another block would be quite difficult for you

I'm afraid you'll have to put your foot down, tell them to sort their **** out. If they won't give way, then go higher and tell them to sort out their subordinates **** out, etc etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Wrong advice.
They have complied with their legal responsibilities.
Reply 14
Original post by Architecture-er
Every part of a building that can expect disabled people to access it must, by law, be fitted to allow those people to do so independently and safely.

They're obviously trying to wriggle out of it by suggesting to move you to another accommodation block, but that doesn't excuse the fact that this building isn't accessible to you, even though it could be, easily and it sounds like moving to another block would be quite difficult for you

I'm afraid you'll have to put your foot down, tell them to sort their **** out. If they won't give way, then go higher and tell them to sort out their subordinates **** out, etc etc.

Wrong advice.

Not necessarily. Whether they have complied with their legal responsibilities is something you (or I) cannot adequately judge, as we are not legal professionals. Even if we were, we don't have sufficient information. The case is far more complex.

What is clear is that moving to a new residence is far from ideal, if not unreasonable, and the OP should ideally be getting more support from the disability service.
Reply 15
You seem a bit paranoid if you're worried about having a car crash and not being able to walk up stairs. Although it does seem bad if students can't use the lift. I don't know if they have to provide disabled access to all accommodation, as long as there are halls suitable for such people ??? Although like you say, what happens if you're temporarily on crutches/in a wheel chair?? Perhaps they do let them use the lift, but said that to you so able bodied students don't exploit it.
Wrong advice.

The lecturer of my law modules for my degree would care to disagree with you, maybe you can elaborate :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by River85
Not necessarily. Whether they have complied with their legal responsibilities is something you (or I) cannot adequately judge, as we are not legal professionals. Even if we were, we don't have sufficient information. The case is far more complex.

Well I'm coming at it from my lectures on construction law, and building regs regarding disability provision state "reasonable provision shall be made to enable disabled people to gain access to relevant premises" :dontknow:

Now, by offering alternative provision they're technically making the premises irrelevant for the disabled person in question so that they don't have to cater for them, but if the persons situation necessitates using that building then they can't use that as a get-out clause.]

The OP is being fairly circumspect about their health though, so whether they're exaggerating the severity of their condition or not we can't say.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Architecture-er
The lecturer of my law modules for my degree would care to disagree with you, maybe you can elaborate :h:

The Op was offered suitably accessible accommodation but chose to move in to another hall.
There is no legal requirement for every accommodation building to be accessible.
The Op was offered suitably accessible accommodation but chose to move in to another hall.
There is no legal requirement for every accommodation building to be accessible.

Actually the OP said that they're residing in the accommodation that they were given this year, and they're being offered alternative accommodation to move into..

Quick Reply

Latest