The Student Room Group

How and when should I start revising for GCSEs?

I'm in year 11 and as my GCSEs are linear, I'm doing all of them in May/ June. How many subjects should I be revising each day, and for how long? And when should I start rigorous revision for them? :smile:
I started when the school first gave me study leave. I thought I was screwed since everyone else started in the half term after Easter but I didn't do too badly. I'd say if you can do an hour a day, then you can do well even if you start a week or so before your first exam. GCSEs are a lot easier than what your teachers make them out to be.

That's just my opinion though. If you wanna be safe, start revising slowly during Easter but I wouldn't let it take over your life.
Reply 2
Original post by hmanblackman
I started when the school first gave me study leave. I thought I was screwed since everyone else started in the half term after Easter but I didn't do too badly. I'd say if you can do an hour a day, then you can do well even if you start a week or so before your first exam. GCSEs are a lot easier than what your teachers make them out to be.

That's just my opinion though. If you wanna be safe, start revising slowly during Easter but I wouldn't let it take over your life.

Thanks for the advice
Reply 3
In my school, we had (IGCSE) mocks in January, so therefore my first round of revision was during Christmas 2012. However after Christmas, we got less homework so that we could focus on revision. Honestly though, don't burn yourself out revising for ages, because it'll just make you so tired that you won't be able to pay attention and do your best in your exams.

Start revising around 2 weeks before Easter and leave enough time at the end to do past papers, so that you can consolidate your knowledge. Now that I look back on it, I worried too much for GCSE's because I realise now that as long as you know the syllabus and the content well, you don't really have a lot to worry about! Good luck, and don't forget to take breaks to relax. :smile:
Should have started sooner. That way, you won't have to panic about last minute revision and you can still enjoy goin out with friends and make room for unexpected events which happen later. Start it after Easter and you're going to struggle a little.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't revise per se now. Just make sure you understand everything now.

Then when it comes to revision time (the week before each exam is plenty, I did day before if any so it sounds decent enough) you'll already know it, just refreshing.

Past Papers are the best thing. Where you lose marks. Learn it.

Then you are set!
Reply 6
Thanks everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest