The Student Room Group

Pros and cons of wearing contacts

Scroll to see replies

Contact lenses are great. Take a bit of getting used to, but once that's sorted, you can seeeee! I use dailies, so they are slightly expensive, but I think it's worth the money :h:
Reply 21
Contact lenses take a while to get used to but they quickly become part of your everyday routine and you'll wonder how you ever lived without them. It took me ages to put them in and take them out at first but once you've got the hang of that they're good. I wear mine every day and use monthlies because they cost less - as long as you remember to clean them every time you take them out and check them before you put them back in they shouldn't cause you any problems!
Just always wash your hand before and after you put them in and you will be fine.
@bethht
Agreed. It took me a a lot of time to put it in the first time, because I couldn't get it to "stick". But once I did, it felt so natural.
Original post by mr tim
I wear them at uni or when I go out, and I don't have too much problems with it after you get used to it. I guess another con of my contact lenses (those soft ones) is that they break at times, and its not comfortable to put them in your eyes, so you possibly have to replace them rather than glasses where you can get them repaired sometimes. The good thing is that you can see slightly better and you don't have to wear glasses. But you also have to take them out when sleeping or when you go for a shower/bath/swimming, and you can't have them on all day.

So long as you wear good, watertight goggles for swimming its fine. I used to club swim 4x per week like that, also, unless you're getting water directly in your eye when bathing or showering, wearing them shouldn't be a problem.

Whats your prescription OP, I have a very high prescription, which means I can only get monthlys and only in certain brands. If you have a high prescription you may be more limited to what you can get.

Monthlys are thicker and harder to break (as they have to last a month) dailys are thinner, but this means they let the air get to your eyes better.

You can also get the extended wear lenses that let air into your eye which you can sleep in. I think that pretty much proves that its impossible for lenses to roll to the back of your eye while sleeping, because if it was the case, it would happen with them too. If you do fall asleep in lenses for a couple of hours it doesn't really matter, just dry blurry eyes. So long as you don't do it all the time its fine.

You also have to be careful of how many hours a day you wear lenses as overwear (unless they're extended wear) can damage your eyes.

Your optician should be able to tell you all of this, how to look after your lenses and answer any questions, probably best to take on what the optician says rather than the varying stories of non professionals on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest