The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Modern Languages Applicants 2014

Hello Language Applicants!!
As I haven't found a thread for this year I thought I'd start one, especially as there aren't very many of us!
I applied to Manchester for European Studies with German and German Studies :smile:
I have an interview on the 27th November and was wondering if anyone else has had any replies! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey!
I have applied to Manchester for 2014 entry as well but for Spanish and Portuguese and have also got an interview in November.

I'm slightly worried for it, because I didn't think they gave out interviews :frown:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I think that they do give out interviews for languages but I'm not too sure on this matter :/ Do you know what day you'll be going to the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

I have an interview for German and Russian on the 4th of December. I'm already worried about what to wear, what they'll ask etc! Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by RosieInWonderland
Hello,

I have an interview for German and Russian on the 4th of December. I'm already worried about what to wear, what they'll ask etc! Does anyone have any advice?

I've got an interview too then (French and Portuguese). Don't wear anything too smart or too casual, I went to an interview at Southampton in a smartish pair of jeans and a t-shirt and it was completely fine.

Again going on from what I was asked at Southampton I'm guessing it will just be a chat about your Personal Statement and for them to put a name to a piece of paper. Don't be too worried about it, think most who get interviewed get an offer.
Reply 5
Original post by RosieInWonderland
Hello,

Original post by ellecttric
I've got an interview too then (French and Portuguese). Don't wear anything too smart or too casual, I went to an interview at Southampton in a smartish pair of jeans and a t-shirt and it was completely fine.

Again going on from what I was asked at Southampton I'm guessing it will just be a chat about your Personal Statement and for them to put a name to a piece of paper. Don't be too worried about it, think most who get interviewed get an offer.

I've copied this from a previous thread but it should be relevant:

I've copied and pasted this directly from another thread, but it should answer your questions pretty much:
Whilst we can't say exactly what you'll be asked (that's not fair on everyone else) we can give you some general pointers. Obviously the most important questions are: Why Manchester? Why this degree? What do you like about the degree? Where do you see yourself in the future? This will hold true for any degree at any university, so make sure you have some answers prepared. They say you can wear what you want - it means wear a suit (pretty much everyone else will be wearing one) or something very smart casual like collared formal shirt and chinos (think doctor!) Interviews aren't the time to be slopping around!

You'll be given a tour and the opportunity to speak to some current or former students, make sure you ask some useful questions about being a student (timetabling, workload, accommodation, nights out, part-time work etc) which can help you make up your mind. If you have the tour and chat before your interview, use some of the information you've picked up in the interview - e.g. if you're asked "why Manchester?" give your response and then say that you like the facilities or that the students said good things about the availability of jobs or something. Make sure you've re-read your PS and be prepared to answer a few questions; you may not know the answer, but they'll be looking to see how you approach the situation.

Interviews like this are never as bad as people make out, so don't worry and good luck!
Reply 6
Hello!

Just thought I'd check in here and say if you have any questions, quote me and I'll give you the best answer possible. I don't know much about the interview days because they weren't doing them in my year, but I'm a third year french student at Manchester so know a thing or two about how the department works and any module questions for french :smile:.
I had an interview yesterday and got an offer today for French and German ABB :-)
I hope you get an offer, Kimberley (I was the girl in the tartan dress with glasses talking to you yesterday haha)
Reply 8
Original post by bourboncreams
I had an interview yesterday and got an offer today for French and German ABB :-)
I hope you get an offer, Kimberley (I was the girl in the tartan dress with glasses talking to you yesterday haha)

You go girl!! Congrats!! Who would have thought that I'd meet you on here :smile: and I got two offers directly at the end of my interview on Wednesday. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PromiseKim
You go girl!! Congrats!! Who would have thought that I'd meet you on here :smile: and I got two offers directly at the end of my interview on Wednesday. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's amazing!! well done :-D
I have an offer for History and Spanish... But I didn't have to have an interview... Is that normal?
Original post by maryknewman
I have an offer for History and Spanish... But I didn't have to have an interview... Is that normal?

Surely this is nothing to complain about as long as you have the offer :tongue:? Interviewing wasn't the norm when I was applying (except the obvious courses) but they do seem to be introducing it more. If you're worried about not having an interview because you wanted to meet staff and see the uni, they usually hold some form of post offer open day for your course.
Original post by tillytots
Surely this is nothing to complain about as long as you have the offer :tongue:? Interviewing wasn't the norm when I was applying (except the obvious courses) but they do seem to be introducing it more. If you're worried about not having an interview because you wanted to meet staff and see the uni, they usually hold some form of post offer open day for your course.

I won't be around for that since I'm heading off too Columbia after Xmas so I was hoping for a chance to et a feel for the place considering I've never been to Manchester. Also, I enjoy interviews. 30 minutes of talking about why I love what I love... Fab. Furthermore, I was curious to hear that they were interviewing for languages as that generally is no longer the norm.
Original post by ellecttric

Ah thank you! Guess I will see you there then! :smile: Are you excited? I am even though I'm incredibly nervous :tongue:

Original post by Strangey
I've copied this from a previous thread but it should be relevant:

I've copied and pasted this directly from another thread, but it should answer your questions pretty much:
Whilst we can't say exactly what you'll be asked (that's not fair on everyone else) we can give you some general pointers. Obviously the most important questions are: Why Manchester? Why this degree? What do you like about the degree? Where do you see yourself in the future? This will hold true for any degree at any university, so make sure you have some answers prepared. They say you can wear what you want - it means wear a suit (pretty much everyone else will be wearing one) or something very smart casual like collared formal shirt and chinos (think doctor!) Interviews aren't the time to be slopping around!

You'll be given a tour and the opportunity to speak to some current or former students, make sure you ask some useful questions about being a student (timetabling, workload, accommodation, nights out, part-time work etc) which can help you make up your mind. If you have the tour and chat before your interview, use some of the information you've picked up in the interview - e.g. if you're asked "why Manchester?" give your response and then say that you like the facilities or that the students said good things about the availability of jobs or something. Make sure you've re-read your PS and be prepared to answer a few questions; you may not know the answer, but they'll be looking to see how you approach the situation.

Interviews like this are never as bad as people make out, so don't worry and good luck!

Thank you very much that really helps :smile: I was gonna wear a collared tshirt and chino type trousers anyway haha! Great minds! :smile:
Reply 14
I sent my ucas away more than month ago and I haven't heard anything from Manchester. It would be my top choice so I'm a bit worried. Does anybody know when they stop giving interviews?
Original post by lk231
I sent my ucas away more than month ago and I haven't heard anything from Manchester. It would be my top choice so I'm a bit worried. Does anybody know when they stop giving interviews?

They *must* give equal consideration to all who apply before January 15th, so the last interview dates will be after that.

I will also note that nationwide languages are generally struggling for applicants, and so if you meet all the grade and subject requirements I would suggest that you have a high chance of getting an offer.
Hello, I'm in the midst of applying to Japanese course. Someone else interested applying in this course? As I'm not from UK, I'm not 100% sure of all conditions and whether I will succeed to fulfill them.
I wonder, if there are many students from foreign countries in this field.
Reply 17
Original post by Origami Bullets
They *must* give equal consideration to all who apply before January 15th, so the last interview dates will be after that.

I will also note that nationwide languages are generally struggling for applicants, and so if you meet all the grade and subject requirements I would suggest that you have a high chance of getting an offer.

Thank you! Hopefully all goes well!
Original post by darcy_96
Hello! Forgive me as I'm totally new to this website and it took me far too much time to find the actual thread I was looking for...

Anyway, I've also applied for 2014 entry to study French and Spanish. So far, Manchester is the only offer I have received, no interview required, so I must have got lucky! Best of luck in your interviews and the rest of your choices. You're right, there are very few language applicants! :smile:

Heyyyy I applied for French and Spanish as well and I got an offer too!!!! Congrats on your offer!!:smile::smile:
Hi all! I applied at the beginning of November for French and Spanish IPML and French and Spanish BA and 3days after I had an offer for each course at Manchester!!!!! So happy!!! Good luck everyone with the rest of A levels and if there any linguists out there whom Manchester is their 1st option let me know! xx #manchester2014

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending