The Student Room Group

Want to gain muscle but I have a low appetite.

I am going to start going to the gym from the start of November and I really want to gain muscle and make myself look good and feel good. Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of eating, this may sound silly but quite recently I have started eating less. I have recently become a vegetarian so I do not eat any meat and all the protein I eat comes from dairy products.
Are there any alternatives available so I can eat less and also stay a vegetarian? Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
That's the one thing I hate about putting on muscle, you literally have to force yourself to eat sometimes
Reply 2
Use weight gainers and protein shakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Liquid calories.
Reply 4
Original post by MilB
Use weight gainers and protein shakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is whey protein from Holland and Barrett a good idea?
Reply 5
Original post by mrhedgehog
Is whey protein from Holland and Barrett a good idea?

Depends how much money you have. Holland and Barrett protein is really expensive IMO. The best value protein is from MyProtein on eBay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by MilB
Depends how much money you have. Holland and Barrett protein is really expensive IMO. The best value protein is from MyProtein on eBay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am willing to spend up to around 20 pounds for a first tub to see how it is.
What is better to use between whey protein and muscle and size gainer?
Reply 7
People still get stacked in prison. They only eat like 3 small meals a day. Working out properly counts for a lot more than eating does.
Saying that, eating properly will help.
Reply 8
I am willing to spend up to around 20 pounds for a first tub to see how it is.
What is better to use between whey protein and muscle and size gainer?

In your case, the size and muscle gainer. Both products will contain protein. The only difference is that the protein will be of a very high protein % and not much fat/carb while the muscle and size gainer will contain fats and carbs to bump up the calories in the product.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meaux
People still get stacked in prison. They only eat like 3 small meals a day.

This isn't true.

OP, eating is important and if you don't eat enough you will not gain muscle.
I am going to start going to the gym from the start of November and I really want to gain muscle and make myself look good and feel good. Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of eating, this may sound silly but quite recently I have started eating less. I have recently become a vegetarian so I do not eat any meat and all the protein I eat comes from dairy products.
Are there any alternatives available so I can eat less and also stay a vegetarian? Thank you :smile:

Take a look at this site http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmainnut.htm. Also you are gonna have to eat more there's no avoiding it, but there are ways to make it easier. First off the main increase you need is not calories, but carbs.

Then adding brown toast to your breakfast. Having a lunch where it's mainly carbs, and eating your lunch well before you go to the gym because after gym you will then be able to eat again. Making sure you get 3 good meals, 4 are preferred. Also green veg are high in carbs e.g. peas runner beans, broccoli. Runner beans are really good, but peas also have a high protein content. Then get a protein shake, don't buy mass gainer it's not for long term use. The protein shake won't make you bigger, carbs are what help you grow once you muscles are in broken down after gym. The protein aids the process and you since you're a vegetarian you will need it. The gold standard whey protein from holland and barrett is a good brand.

Finally breaks are important because you won't grow will your at the gym, my current split is gym weekdays with breaks all weekend. So just get started you can gain muscle while being a vegetarian, and you will continue to learn far more than what i've mentioned once you start.
I swear by a protein shake/weight gainer called Lean Mass XT by Matrix Nutrition, my gains whilst using it are much better than when I'm not using it. Plenty of calories, protein and carbs to help build muscle. I of course eat a lot of food along with it, but if you genuinely have trouble eating a lot then this may help too. You can get a massive 6.8kg tub from several sellers on eBay, costs about £45 and lasts a month and a half if you have 2 shakes a day.
As a vege myself, I know you can't just get your protein from dairy. Nuts, seed, beans and pulses are really important. I also have myprotein unflavoured with milk which is good.
Turning vege is a lifestyle change and so you should research all the different foods that you may not have previously ate. Good luck though, I can definitely say being vege has been one the best decisions I've ever made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
There are lots of vegetarian type sources of protein, such as tofu, soybeans, peanuts, nuts in general.

If you need carbs, there are lots of sources too, if you're really skinny, believe it or not but potatoes are vegetarian, even french fries :wink:
Original post by g_ike
There are lots of vegetarian type sources of protein, such as tofu, soybeans, peanuts, nuts in general.

If you need carbs, there are lots of sources too, if you're really skinny, believe it or not but potatoes are vegetarian, even french fries :wink:

Really? I thought they were meat.
Reply 15
If you are vegetarian and need some protein, I would recommend, in addition to what has already been said, some "QINOA".
It has a lot of protein and is "easy" to eat (in a salad, with cheese, ...).
Reply 16
Seems like this will soon become your best friend OP

(edited 10 years ago)
Yes qinoa is brilliant I eat a lot of it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest