The Student Room Group

Girl I like said she'd go for dinner with me and now has made a pathetic excuse

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Right guys we went out in the end. Poor communication led me to thinking she was making an excuse. In fact, she had some sports thing on yesterday evening which I didn't know about and soon as she came back, she asked if I still wanted to go out. So we went out for a nice meal and a few drinks afterwards. Had a really good night and I guess this just shows how pointless it was for me to make this thread in the first place. I like how she was honest with her initial intentions and we'll see how things go from here.
Reply 41
Original post by Salmon22
And dancing around the issue, possibly being seen to lead them on is in some way kinder?

No, obviously not kinder, just the instinctively less awkward and painful thing to do at the time.
Reply 42
Dinner? That's a bit full on for a first date isn't it? What are you 55?

Next time suggest something like going for a couple of drinks down the pub, or roller blading!

She was probably just freaked out by the formality of it all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Vikki1805
It's really formal.

Staying in, watching films and eating Pringles with a salsa dip is a far better first date. :coma:

Gotta disagree there, films are inherently antisocial, not great for trying to get to know someone.
Reply 44
Original post by LinzyLoo
No, obviously not kinder, just the instinctively less awkward and painful thing to do at the time.

Maybe the painful/direct route is better. I know it helped me a lot when I asked out a girl and gave me a straight no. The world didn't end, everyone didn't turn to laugh at me, I would say the direct route is better and may help them.
Reply 45
Original post by Salmon22
Maybe the painful/direct route is better. I know it helped me a lot when I asked out a girl and gave me a straight no. The world didn't end, everyone didn't turn to laugh at me, I would say the direct route is better and may help them.

So what would you recommend saying to a guy if he asks "do you want to go for a drink sometime?" It's hard to think of a good response when you're on the spot like that. Also bear in mind he might be asking in a friendly way and I'd be scared of jumping to conclusions and assuming he was asking me out, and then seeming big-headed if he never meant it that way.
Reply 46
Original post by LinzyLoo
So what would you recommend saying to a guy if he asks "do you want to go for a drink sometime?" It's hard to think of a good response when you're on the spot like that. Also bear in mind he might be asking in a friendly way and I'd be scared of jumping to conclusions and assuming he was asking me out, and then seeming big-headed if he never meant it that way.

'That's a nice offer, but no thank you' was one I regularly got. I understand this desire is coming from a good place and as a man something that has never happened to me, but at the end of the day the person asking is a big boy and will get over it. Being direct doesn't mean being rude.
Glad it worked out for you, OP!

Two things to people saying the girl (had she not been interested) should have immediately said no:

1) I don't know about other girls, but personally I don't always know on the spot whether I'm interested in a guy or not. I don't sort every guy into "would date" and "would not date" categories, preempting the moment one might ask me out. In fact, unless we're very close, it's not something I think about much at all and my opinions are pretty fluid. If someone asks me about, I really might not know if I'm interested or not. I might initially say yes, just to have more time to think it over.

2) It's not always obvious exactly what constitutes asking someone out. Okay, dinner is quite formal, so I think that would count as a pretty forward move. But when you ask a girl out for a drink, or to go to the cinema - what is that? I don't think they're immediately obvious as either a romantic or friendly invitation - I've done those with guys in both capacities. So it might be that she didn't really understand at first that you were asking her out that way and only suspected later.
Original post by Bronco2012
Gotta disagree there, films are inherently antisocial, not great for trying to get to know someone.

You can discuss the film after.

Conversation starter. :mmm:

Perhaps not a great first date idea then.

The zoo is good.
Reply 49
Original post by MelanieDickson
Glad it worked out for you, OP!

Two things to people saying the girl (had she not been interested) should have immediately said no:

1) I don't know about other girls, but personally I don't always know on the spot whether I'm interested in a guy or not. I don't sort every guy into "would date" and "would not date" categories, preempting the moment one might ask me out. In fact, unless we're very close, it's not something I think about much at all and my opinions are pretty fluid. If someone asks me about, I really might not know if I'm interested or not. I might initially say yes, just to have more time to think it over.

2) It's not always obvious exactly what constitutes asking someone out. Okay, dinner is quite formal, so I think that would count as a pretty forward move. But when you ask a girl out for a drink, or to go to the cinema - what is that? I don't think they're immediately obvious as either a romantic or friendly invitation - I've done those with guys in both capacities. So it might be that she didn't really understand at first that you were asking her out that way and only suspected later.

Good reply! Yeah I agree that dinner was a good move. We've been friends for a while now and from experience, it's easy for the 'date' to be misconstrued as a friendly thing. Hopefully now we'll spend time doing more casual stuff together. I do really like her, we've got a lot in common and she looks like she'd be perfect for a relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending