The Student Room Group

Crying alone at home because I just can't get over my ex

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fashion Girl
Cutting someone out of their life is a legit way to get over them :confused: ? Might as well do the cowardly act and breakup over text...........or worse, a letter :rofl: ! Man up, and do it face-to-face :fuhrer: !

"He broke up with me because he said there was no longer a spark. I am still madly in love with him though."

This is what OP said.

Which part of "there was no longer a spark" is hard to understand? Sounds like he laid it down gently without any intention of hurting her feelings.
Cutting someone out of their life is a legit way to get over them :confused: ? Might as well do the cowardly act and breakup over text...........or worse, a letter :rofl: ! Man up, and do it face-to-face :fuhrer: !

Yes, cutting someone out of your life is a legit way of getting over them, believe me when I say it works. Maybe they break up face to face did and she continues to text him. There's a difference between contact at the point of break-up and contact subsequent to it.

I'm not accusing OP of anything, this is purely hypothetical.
Original post by TheOriginalAng
Yes, cutting someone out of your life is a legit way of getting over them, believe me when I say it works. Maybe they break up face to face did and she continues to text him. There's a difference between contact at the point of break-up and contact subsequent to it.

I'm not accusing OP of anything, this is purely hypothetical.

God, unless she is a stalker or sth, there is no need to give her the silent treatment just because she is having difficulty getting over you. I mean, this person likes you, the least you could do is be sensitive.

If she refuses to see sense and continues to pester you despite you actually telling her not to, then it would be one thing! As far as you yourself getting over her is concerned, I don't think the silent treatment is the most noble way to go about it - I mean, at least be a grown up about it - I don't find immaturity an appealing quality in a person!

Yes, I suppose it could make them run after you even more when they see how great you are even when breaking up and they would like to date you even more, but at least you'll feel good about yourself that you approached the situation in a right way. If they pester you too much, there's always the "Dude, I don't want to talk to you ? Why don't you get it ?" rather than just blanking them, which I find to be really rude behaviour tbh - like, grow up really, your a bit too old to be ****ling on baby bottles now!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
This is exactly me few months ago, I completely understand what you're going through.
It was really hard for me to get over my ex (we were together for 4 years).
I know it's what everyone says but it is kinda true: time heals everything.

He said he was OK for us to stay friends so we kept talking for a week after the breakup but it was too hard for me not to think about his new girlfriend. So we didn't talk for two weeks (I kept crying and couldn't sleep/eat at all).
And as it was summer holidays and I had no idea how to keep me busy during the day. So I signed up on this online dating website, OKCupid. I guess it was to see if I was still attractive as my self confidence was very low.
I talked with some guys on a regular basis but I made it clear in my head that I didn't want to start a relationship before meeting them.
Anyway, talking with these guys kept my mind busy and made me stop thinking about my ex. Sometimes he even was the one sending messages first.

In the end, I deleted my account on OKC, no relationship came out of it, some of these guys became my friends and my ex and I are still friends! We talk regularly, whenever I'm worried or anything, he calls me and we talk for a bit.

It takes time but you will get over him one day. I did not believe people who used to tell me this but they were right.
I know it's hard right now but do try to get your mind off him: talk to your family (my mom was a huge help and I'll never thank her enough for what she did), go out with your friends, do new activities where you could meet new people.

And if you feel really down one evening, I'll be there. In fact, all TSR will be there for you :smile:

I really hope you'll get better soon! xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Time will help!

I would cut contact with him entirely. Deleting my ex on FB was a ~big step~ for me, because I just wanted to get rid of that tiny, annoying bit of hope and wishful thinking.

IDK it sucks, but you will feel better eventually.
God, unless she is a stalker or sth, there is no need to give her the silent treatment just because she is having difficulty getting over you. I mean, this person likes you, the least you could do is be sensitive.

If she refuses to see sense and continues to pester you despite you actually telling her not to, then it would be one thing! As far as you yourself getting over her is concerned, I don't think the silent treatment is the most noble way to go about it - I mean, at least be a grown up about it - I don't find immaturity an appealing quality in a person!

Yes, I suppose it could make them run after you even more when they see how great you are even when breaking up and they would like to date you even more, but at least you'll feel good about yourself that you approached the situation in a right way. If they pester you too much, there's always the "Dude, I don't want to talk to you ? Why don't you get it ?" rather than just blanking them, which I find to be really rude behaviour tbh - like, grow up really, your a bit too old to be ****ling on baby bottles now!

Whilst I agree that it is better to get it out that you want to cease contact (and yes, rude not to), you're making the assumption that it hasn't been said whereas I made no such assumption. So it really depends on the circumstance. If he has asked not to be contacted but still she does, then what else is there to do? Again, I'm talking about a hypothetical circumstance, not the situation in which OP finds herself. Also, as I said before, I'm assuming post-breakup, not at the point of it.

In any case, at the expense of temporary difficulty and pain, no contact is the best way of getting over someone and, in the long run, silence is best for both parties.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending