The Student Room Group

Take all the ethnic imports out of the 'England' team and...

Scotland would have a better national football team. Discuss.

Edit: to clarify by 'ethnic imports' I'm referring to any player that does not have significant English heritage, and is thereby not ethnically English. This would include players like Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, Andros Townsend, Glen Johnson, Raheem Sterling, Jemaine Defoe, Darren Bent, Chris Smalling etc etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*facepalm*
Original post by joseon

Edit: to clarify by 'ethnic imports' I'm referring to any player that does not have significant English heritage, and is thereby not ethnically English. This would include players like Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, Andros Townsend, Glen Johnson, Raheem Sterling, Jemaine Defoe, Darren Bent, Chris Smalling etc etc.

They all grew up and became the players they are in England though, so they're English.
Reply 3
Original post by manchesterunited15
They all grew up and became the players they are in England though, so they're English.

I know that, but that's not the question I asked.
Original post by joseon
I know that, but that's not the question I asked.

So what's your point?
Reply 5
Original post by joseon

if you look at the 1966 team they look different from nowadays KWAM ?

1966team.jpg

Gordon Banks looks a bit Chinese...
Original post by joseon

Could be said about alot of international teams, not just England.

From the top of my head, France wouldn't have had Zidane and Germany wouldn't have players like Ozil and Khadira.
Mixed race players like Ashley Cole and Andros Townsend clearly aren't 'ethnic imports', as they each have a white English parent.
:rofl: so daft.
Reply 9
Original post by manchesterunited15
So what's your point?

It was just a hypothetical question, I don't really have a point. It just occurred to me that without the influx of talent from players with foreign heritage, England would be a significantly worse team.
Reply 10
Original post by Existentialgrad
Mixed race players like Ashley Cole and Andros Townsend clearly aren't 'ethnic imports', as they each have a white English parent.

Andros Townsend is half Jamaican and half Cypriot, he doesn't have any English heritage. But you're right about Ashley Cole.
But in reply to the original post, a fully 'White English' ethnicity team would look something like this:

1. Hart

2. Jones
3. Baines
5. Cahill
6. Dawson (assuming Jalkielka doesn't count as he has a foreign surname)

4. Carrick
8. Gerrard
7. Milner
11. Lampard

10. Rooney
9. Carroll

Much better than anything the jocks could muster!
But in reply to the original post, a fully 'White English' ethnicity team would look something like this:

1. Hart

2. Jones
3. Baines
5. Cahill

4. Carrick
8. Gerrard
7. Milner
11. Lampard

10. Rooney
9. Carroll

that team makes me want to cry...
Reply 13
Lol why are people questioning OP like he's some sort of racist...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

1. Hart

2. Jones
3. Baines
5. Cahill

4. Carrick
8. Gerrard
7. Milner
11. Lampard

10. Rooney
9. Carroll

I disagree. I think a match between these two teams would be very close.

David Marshall

Grant Hanley
Allan Hutton
Russell Martin
Charlie Mulgrew

James Morrsion
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Barry Bannan

Jordan Rhodes
Stephen Naismith

The last game between England and Scotland was quite close, and that was Enlgand with all of their ethnic imports.
Reply 15
Lampard's name sounds a bit French...
Original post by joseon
It was just a hypothetical question, I don't really have a point. It just occurred to me that without the influx of talent from players with foreign heritage, England would be a significantly worse team.

Most teams would, for example Germany
Reply 17
I don't think it would affect England too much, it's not like they're great to begin with, an all-white English team wouldn't suck much more than the one they have right now.

However, without "ethnic" players, France would be destroyed. Pauvre Les Bleus.
Would Rooney be allowed to play? He's of Irish heritage, isn't he?
Reply 19
Original post by tazarooni89
Would Rooney be allowed to play? He's of Irish heritage, isn't he?

He's actually from the swamp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest