The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Bradford: Clinical Sciences (Foundation Year) 2014

Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone else is applying for this course at the University of Bradford?
I could not find any other threads for this years applicants so I decided to make one.
It is my fifth option and if I do not get into Medicine, I am aim to get onto this course and hopefully transfer to Leeds Medical School.
Where else are you applying?
Good luck to you all! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hey yeah youre not alone ive done this too... where else are you applying to?
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 2
Original post by mariam.therese
hey yeah youre not alone ive done this too... where else are you applying to?

Newcastle, KCL, Leicester and HYMS. Yourself?
Reply 3
Original post by Tinuviel
Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone else is applying for this course at the University of Bradford?
I could not find any other threads for this years applicants so I decided to make one.
It is my fifth option and if I do not get into Medicine, I am aim to get onto this course and hopefully transfer to Leeds Medical School.

I'm applying to this course too, I also hope to transfer to medicine.:smile:
Reply 4
Hey,

Why are you applying for the foundation year and not year 1 of Clinical Science if you have science A-levels?
Reply 5
Original post by mariya101
Why are you applying for the foundation year and not year 1 of Clinical Science if you have science A-levels?

I heard that the interviewing panel decide what year you are placed in... have I done something wrong?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I've applied. I'm not wanting to transfer to medicine, but one of the other health care courses they offer. Its my last choice as its pretty far away. I've also applied to:

Interdisciplinary Science - Leeds
Health and Life Science foundation year - Coventry - OFFER!
Health Science foundation year - Cardiff Met
Extended Science - Plymouth
Reply 7
I heard that the interviewing panel decide what year you are placed in... have I done something wrong?

Everyone from my school who applied for Med put year one of Clin Sci as their last option not the foundation year as that's mainly for people without science A-levels. In the foundation year they will be teaching you the things you already know.

Year one of clinical Science mirrors year one of Medicine at Leeds so if you applied to year one after successful completion you would have been able to transfer to year 2 of Med... if that makes sense? But anyway if they do decide I think you might be placed in year one as you have your science A-levels.
Reply 8
has any1 gt interviews yet
Everyone from my school who applied for Med put year one of Clin Sci as their last option not the foundation year as that's mainly for people without science A-levels. In the foundation year they will be teaching you the things you already know.

Year one of clinical Science mirrors year one of Medicine at Leeds so if you applied to year one after successful completion you would have been able to transfer to year 2 of Med... if that makes sense? But anyway if they do decide I think you might be placed in year one as you have your science A-levels.

i'm not sure if you will know the answer but whilst you are applying to Leeds on UCAS (to enter year 2) can you also apply to enter the first year of universities to study medicine. So for example say you applied to enter year 2 but then Leeds rejected you could you still apply to medicine at other universities to start from year one. Or would you have to complete the entire clinical sciences course first and then apply for postgrad entry. I'm pretty sure you can apply to other places whilst applying to Leeds if you do the Foundation Year but I'm not sure if you can do it if you enter year 1. Do you know? :redface:
Reply 10
Original post by TheGreaterGood
i'm not sure if you will know the answer but whilst you are applying to Leeds on UCAS (to enter year 2) can you also apply to enter the first year of universities to study medicine. So for example say you applied to enter year 2 but then Leeds rejected you could you still apply to medicine at other universities to start from year one. Or would you have to complete the entire clinical sciences course first and then apply for postgrad entry. I'm pretty sure you can apply to other places whilst applying to Leeds if you do the Foundation Year but I'm not sure if you can do it if you enter year 1. Do you know? :redface:

After you complete the foundation year/year one of clinical science the selection process is internal between the two universities it is not done through UCAS. (Leeds only accepts 20 students)

Secondly the foundation course is not accepted by other universities however you can complete the Clinical Science degree and apply for Medicine as a postgraduate - and you can apply for Medicine(four years) as you have covered most of the science in your degree.

Just to put this out there... Foundation year is about 60-70% of science students who didn't make the grade or get into medicine! my friend has AAA and she's in foundation year. 1st year is VERY hard and is pretty much AAA science students
Reply 12
Original post by _jake_
I've applied. I'm not wanting to transfer to medicine, but one of the other health care courses they offer. Its my last choice as its pretty far away. I've also applied to:

Interdisciplinary Science - Leeds
Health and Life Science foundation year - Coventry - OFFER!
Health Science foundation year - Cardiff Met
Extended Science - Plymouth

Awesome, congratulations on your offer!
Reply 13
Awesome, congratulations on your offer!

Reply 14
Original post by _jake_

No, thank you! Haha, you've just turned my rep from red to blue x)
Reply 15
No, thank you! Haha, you've just turned my rep from red to blue x)

That's cool, never seen blue gems before:eek:
Reply 16
Hey,

Hello fresh meat! :biggrin:

I'm year 2 if you want to fire any questions!
Reply 17

Because it also depends on your clinical experience.

Original post by TheGreaterGood

You don't apply through UCAS once you get in because Bradford has an internal connection with the university.
You can do your applications while you're in uni but if you're accepted then obviously you're not considered to a transfer.

When I was doing the Foundation year a lot of students applied to first year of med school to other places and got in :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by h3isenberg
Got an interview here on Wednesday, it's my back up choice for Medicine. Anyone else got an interview next week? :smile:

Not yet, how much notice did they give you before the interview and did you get to choose the date? Good luck!
Original post by katyness
Because it also depends on your clinical experience.

You don't apply through UCAS once you get in because Bradford has an internal connection with the university.
You can do your applications while you're in uni but if you're accepted then obviously you're not considered to a transfer.

When I was doing the Foundation year a lot of students applied to first year of med school to other places and got in :smile:

Thanks :biggrin: So because it is an internal connection is it possible to do the foundation year and apply to Leeds through Bradford and then on top of that apply to 4 other medical places via UCAS?

Quick Reply

Latest